john2236

Altimaster 3

I'm just finishing up my A license and starting to get my own equipment. I got an Altimaster 3 from someone I know, and had a hard landing. The glass has a small crack now. I'm wondering if a crack that allows there to be an equilibrium between the inside and outside of the altimeter would throw off the calibration? Also, where can I download a manual for it?

The aneroid that controls it is sealed inside, the crack in the lens will not affect it. The lens is also field replaceable, at least it is on the newer ones.

http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p908.asp

If service is needed, check this page.

http://forum.altimaster.com/content.php?160-Repair-of-SSE-Manufactured-Altimeters
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

john2236

Didn't mean completely sealed, but there has to be a part of the altimeter that is sealed so that the pressure within the sealed part is compared relative to outside atmospheric pressure, which in turn causes the needle to turn

There is a part of the altimeter that is sealed, offering a comparison with the outside pressure. It's called the "aneroid" and the lens has nothing to do with sealing it.

This is an aircraft altimeter, because I couldn't find an inside view of a hand mounted one. But the basic principle/components are similar:

https://atpflight.wikispaces.com/file/view/altimeter.png/335452582/altimeter.png

Edit to add: Kind of a funny thought: In an airplane, the pressure for the altimeter (and other stuff too) comes through the "static pressure port" (basically a hole in the plane in a spot where they can find a good stable reading). If that gets plugged, the alti, VSI and airspeed indicator will all be wrong. I was taught that if that happens, static pressure can be let into the system by...

Breaking the lens on the altimeter.

Internal cabin pressure won't be a perfect representation of static pressure (IIRC, it's usually a bit below), but it's better than not having it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Thanks for the explanation wolfiverjoe, I knew it had to be set up something like that, and breaking the lens in the situation you described for a plane's equipment I can see as being helpful in that type of situation to help equalize pressure more quickly in case of an emergency.