tunaplanet

More classy liberals

I will spare you the endless quoting of "liberal bashing" and name calling by the conservative side... Suffice to say there are classless, boorish jerks no matter what side of the coin you are on...

Is there really anyone who finds this type of behaviour attractive or compelling? I guess I just never see the point...
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

When all else fails.......consider the source.After all we are talking about a washed up 3rd rate comedy actor that hasnt done anything really good or original in.......20 yrs or so?If he says GWB is an asshole I'm certainly not going to give it much credence or lose any sleep over it:P
Marc SCR 6046 SCS 3004

If he says GWB is an asshole I'm certainly not going to give it much credence or lose any sleep over it

How funny. I was just thinking, Damn, even Chevy Chase understands that Shrub is wholly incompetent, it must be obvious by now.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Are you not the guy that went off several times about why we shouldn't care about what Hollywood actors say? Now you say we should? Flip flop much? Then again, the repubs are the ones that keep voting in actors.

I know my motto in life has been "If Chevy Chase says it, it must be true!"

Also - what the hell is the big deal if he expresses his opinion? How is it any different than the junk that gets said on this board? Just because he is in front of a Mic/camera and gets a bigger paycheck than most means his thoughts matters more? Why should he watch his language if the VP doesn't?

After all that - I tend to agree with what he said.:)

What about Cheney calling someone an "asshole" (or something like that) on camera... The VP should be held to a higher standard than Chevy Chase...

I agree with Typicalfish that both sides are not innocent of this type of behavior but I do have to say that I think that Chevy Chase's behavior was abhorrent. He was on stage at the Kennedy Center in public where you would expect decorum and manners to matter just a bit more. He didn't just make one comment but continued with a litany of rude and tasteless comments.

The VP's verbal comment was not the most appropriate thing either but he was not in public -- but was talking to another colleague and their PERSONAL conversation got heated and overheard by a few others. Conversations among colleagues -- (even Senators) get heated, as we all know. I have said a few things in the heat of the moment to my colleagues. But he did not have a planned speech before hundreds of people.

Just my take.

:
In Reply To
In Reply To
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3.htm

What about Cheney calling someone an "asshole" (or something like that) on camera... The VP should be held to a higher standard than Chevy Chase...

I agree with Typicalfish that both sides are not innocent of this type of behavior but I do have to say that I think that Chevy Chase's behavior was abhorrent. He was on stage at the Kennedy Center in public where you would expect decorum and manners to matter just a bit more. He didn't just make one comment but continued with a litany of rude and tasteless comments.

I respectfully disagree. As a celebrity, of sorts, Chase was in a position to utilize an oppurtunity to make a political statement in a public forum. As responsible citizens we have an obligation to debate, and when we feel justified, dissent.

From the majority decision of
U.S. Supreme Court, Cohen v California 403 U.S. 15 (1971), delivered by Justice Harlan:

"Surely the State has no right to cleanse public debate to the point where it is grammatically palatable to the most squeamish among us. Yet no readily ascertainable general principle exists for stopping short of that result were we to affirm the judgment below. For, while the particular four-letter word being litigated here is perhaps more distasteful than most others of its genre, it is nevertheless often true that one man's vulgarity is another's lyric. Indeed, we think it is largely because governmental officials cannot make principled distinctions in this area that the Constitution leaves matters of taste and style so largely to the individual.

Additionally, we cannot overlook the fact, because it [403 U.S. 15, 26] is well illustrated by the episode involved here, that much linguistic expression serves a dual communicative function: it conveys not only ideas capable of relatively precise, detached explication, but otherwise inexpressible emotions as well. In fact, words are often chosen as much for their emotive as their cognitive force. We cannot sanction the view that the Constitution, while solicitous of the cognitive content of individual speech, has little or no regard for that emotive function which, practically speaking, may often be the more important element of the overall message sought to be communicated. Indeed, as Mr. Justice Frankfurter has said, "[o]ne of the prerogatives of American citizenship is the right to criticize public men and measures - and that means not only informed and responsible criticism but the freedom to speak foolishly and without moderation." Baumgartner v. United States, 322 U.S. 665, 673 -674 (1944). "

We have gotten it into our heads that we have a right not to be offended. We don't have that right. What we do have is a right to free speech.

Rights are not something granted to us by the Constitution. Rights are something granted to us by "God." The Bill of Rights lays out certain priveleges that the people are not allowed to grant the government. Such as the privelege to control public speech. Or the privelege of setting a state sanctioned religion. The government cannot suspend your rights, they didn't grant them to you. We have already strictly forbidden the government from regulating certain things, and specifically directed them to regulate others.

There have always been comedians that work political issues into their routines, to varying degrees, such as George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks (RIP) Dennis Miller, Chris Rock, to name a few.

Maybe if we were more politically active, such responsibilities would not fall upon the shoulders of our entertainers.

http://www.leoslyrics.com/listlyrics.php?hid=s9gfO7p7R6g%3D

http://www.konformist.com/2001/hicks.htm

>Maybe if we were more politically active, such responsibilities would
>not fall upon the shoulders of our entertainers.

Agreed. It's sad that something like 30% of people in a recent poll got most of their political commentary from the Tonight show, and it's sadder that one of the most scathing (and coherent) critiques of a major political news program came from the anchor of a comedy news show (Jon Stewart.)

it's sadder that one of the most scathing (and coherent) critiques of a major political news program came from the anchor of a comedy news show (Jon Stewart.)

I watched that several times. It was too funny. Sadly, Stewert was absolutely right. Except the part about the guy looking smart because of his bow tie. That was an ugly tie, even if they are hard to tie.

It's sad that something like 30% of people in a recent poll got most of their political commentary from the Tonight show, and it's sadder that one of the most scathing (and coherent) critiques of a major political news program came from the anchor of a comedy news show (Jon Stewart.)

It's even sadder that I've talked to people who get the majority of their political news off this forum.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Shrub is a Connecticut Blue-blood masquerading as a Texan...the worst part is so many people believe the hype...

I know a Georgia born gentleman who has lived in NYC for around 30 years and get invited to "all the right parties." His apartment is just off fifth avenue in the mid forties.

Is he just some Red-necked Ignorant Southerner masquerading as a New York Socialite?

Honestly, comments like yours make me feel much better about agreeing with some of the more ...aggressive... posters who disagree with you.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

It's sad that something like 30% of people in a recent poll got most of their political commentary from the Tonight show, and it's sadder that one of the most scathing (and coherent) critiques of a major political news program came from the anchor of a comedy news show (Jon Stewart.)

It's even sadder that I've talked to people who get the majority of their political news off this forum.

why is that sad? despite the lack of exposure that illustrates, we cover far more topics in a much greater depth than any late night talk show host, or any talk show forum at all......

Ahh yes, another Celebrity trying his hand at Politics. Hey, I'm all for it, I'm glad that people are using what positions they have to make a change in this world, but C.C. went over the line on this one.

"This guy started a jihad."

This line of C.C.'s blew my mind - BUSH started the Jihad?!?! I don't believe that he Started the Jihad, but I sure believe he's going to finish it. :)
=========Shaun ==========