tunaplanet

City closes apartment complex

BTW the destruction of high density puplic housing has been going on for the last 20 yr's.

Something needed to be done, it will be interesting to see if this solves any problems, or create more.

At least in Chicago they built new single family homes for those removed from the public housing units before they destroyed them.

Gangs are like termites - they will just move to the next house that doesn't get treated monthly.

BTW the destruction of high density puplic housing has been going on for the last 20 yr's.

Something needed to be done, it will be interesting to see if this solves any problems, or create more.

At least in Chicago they built new single family homes for those removed from the public housing units before they destroyed them.

Gangs are like termites - they will just move to the next house that doesn't get treated monthly.

Affirmative:|

The oldest profession is still in businessjust in a different area:|

R.I.P.

Well, something had to be done. And, as is often seen in my field, sometimes management has to step in and clean house.

here, the city did it for them. This place was SO BAD that the City kicked everyone out.

So they move to a different place. Turns out it'll be a place where they are less established and easier to control.

And, kids don't get robbed when they walk to school. Seems fine with me, especially since these tenants were given the opportunity to appear in court and explain why the court shouldn't do it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

This only hurts the innocent who did no wrong. St. Louis has been in the habit of doing this for years. To no avail. As others said "it only moves the problem". There is no real answer to an age old problem. Anywhere you have a dense population you will, without fail, have a percentage of that population determined to act outside the law.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

This only hurts the innocent who did no wrong. St. Louis has been in the habit of doing this for years. To no avail. As others said "it only moves the problem". There is no real answer to an age old problem. Anywhere you have a dense population you will, without fail, have a percentage of that population determined to act outside the law.

Affirmative:|

There's also the problem of the police having "limited resources" so rather than devote more resources to put the trouble makers in jail. If the problems bad enough on a consistent basis then there was a target rich enviroment for the police to do what they do best in a efficient manner and arrest the bad guy's. :)
Might be interesting to find out if there's some urban renewal going on in the area:o

Poor folks living in public housing can't afford to spend their time in court and miss work to fight condemnation. What chance would they have in court without a attorney:S Pro bonno anyone:|

R.i.P.

Maybe it will get people to start trying to make a difference in what goes on in their neighborhoods rather than turning a blind eye. Don't think I'm saying what the city did was right or wrong, i have mixed emotions on that one, but in a lot of situations like this people accept what goes on in these areas like its part of everyday life. Not doing anything about the problem is just as bad as actively supporting it.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

It only moves the problem to another hood.

So what? It rids that area of the issue. If everyone would do what this city did in this situation they would eventually run out of places to live as long as they continued this behavior.

Your "logic" of, "It only moves the problem to another hood" is wrong. That would be like a company having an employee that was worthless, lazy, showed up late, didn't meet company standards, showed up drunk, etc... and not firing him because, "It would just move the problem to another company."

City got this one right.

Forty-two

The problem was across the road from a middle school. Moving it has to be a good thing... even if the problem simply manifests itself elswhere there's a good likelyhood (or at least a hope) that there won't be so many kids caught in the crossfire next time.

It only moves the problem to another hood.

So what? It rids that area of the issue. If everyone would do what this city did in this situation they would eventually run out of places to live as long as they continued this behavior.

Your "logic" of, "It only moves the problem to another hood" is wrong. That would be like a company having an employee that was worthless, lazy, showed up late, didn't meet company standards, showed up drunk, etc... and not firing him because, "It would just move the problem to another company."

City got this one right.

Negative:|

As you were:|

R.I.P.

I agree with you.

High density housing creates a critical mass for antisocial behavior. People do behave differently in large groups.

Negative:)
We're not talking about the "projects" that were built in the 50's werevery large building clustered together that housed many hunders of people. Tall building with long dark halls. No easy access for the police. the bad guy's had lots of places to hide.

One (1.000) 24 unit building imo doesn't have the physical capacity to contain "large groups" of bad people".

Privately owned apartment complex's sometime go thru some bad times due to poor on site managers letting their friends in. We lived across the street from one containing about the number of units as this one

The owners don't tear the building down.:S They started at the top replaced the manager that continued to call the cops, until the trouble makers moved out or got arrested. then they fixed the units up as they became vacant and rented them out to folks that would pass a background check.

This was successfull because the property owners and the police worked together, and the problem was manageable (not hundreds of unit's with not access for police cars.

We can argue forever in circles affirmative:| negative:| mission accomplished :|etc. This one doesn't pass the smell test. Either the "cops didn't have the resources" to clean up a a high density of bad guy's in a confined space or the property was being under utilized.

R.i.P.