lawrocket

Will the judge sentence Petersen to death or LWOP?

The judge in the Petersen case has an option of reducing Petersen's sentence to life without the possibility of parole. The judge does not have to follow the jury's recommendation.

Hearing the judge's tone, he may not be willing to do it. Sentencing is Feb. 25, 2005. It may also limit issues of appeal, and lower the profile of the case.

What do you think the judge will do?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

It doesn't really matter in California. A death sentence is a life sentence. California has only executed something like 16 people since it reinstated the death penalty however many years ago. How many people are there on death row in CA? It's some absurd number compared to the number actually executed.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It would save a LOT of taxpayer dollars if he'd lower it to life without.

I'm not so much concerned about the actual sentance, just how much more we're going to spend.

If it's a death sentance the appeal becomes automatic in California and it just costs more. He probably won't actually be put to death anyway, so lowering it now would just make good fiscal sense.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It doesn't really matter in California. A death sentence is a life sentence. California has only executed something like 16 people since it reinstated the death penalty however many years ago. How many people are there on death row in CA? It's some absurd number compared to the number actually executed.

People do get executed...the judges from the 80s were dumped out. And when it happens, the vigils show up at San Quentin for a few nights. Sure, it's for crimes committed in the 70s or 80s, it seems.

While there are many opposed to capital punishment up here, I suspect that the judge would pay a price for rejecting the jury's decision.

He's a relativley well presented white male. He won't be executed.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

With over 600 people on d/r in Ca., do you think it really matters that someone is given the d/p? Unless an inmate is anywhere near the top of the list to be executed within the next 10-20 (?) years most likely that person will die in prison. The latter, I would think, would be the worst punishment.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

"Well presented", why do you think he was convicted? One of his down falls was the fact that his demeanor throughout the entire trial was solumn, closed and unemotional. I wouldn't call Scott well presented, actually his "presentation" worked against him. He jsut lost his wife and unborn child, show some emotion!!! ANy normal, innocent human being would have.
The jury didn't convict him on his "good looks" they looked inside and saw the detached liar that he is....

In Italian we say.."chi tasse consente"..who stays quiet, accepts/agrees..Scott's good at that.

It doesn't really matter in California. A death sentence is a life sentence.

Agreed. A death sentence in CA is solice for the defending parties, but it will leave the guilty party rotting in jail for the next 20+ years while he waits his turn. I think the judge will give him the death penalty to do justice to Laci and Connor, knowing that he will sit there for years to come...

I say let him rot there. LWOP is hard enough.

I think giving him LWOP would be more cruel, wouldn't it?

I'm not terribly familiar with the penal system in California, but aren't prisoners on death row put in single cells and kept "safe," relative to prisons with 25-life and LWOP sentences? I know some states have separate facilities and complete segregation of death row inmates.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

but aren't prisoners on death row put in single cells and kept "safe," relative to prisons with 25-life and LWOP sentences? I know some states have separate facilities and complete segregation of death row inmates.

My thoughts as well. He would be alot "safer" for the next 20 years if he spends it on death row.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Absolutely, if he gets the death penalty, he's getting off easy, a solitary cell to himself for the next 20 years for his appeals to run their course, as opposed to getting his ass reamed every day in the general prison population if he got LWOP. Wife and baby killers tend to get their asses reamed. Some have been killed themselves by other inmates.

Remember Jeffrey Dahmer? Hadn't been in prison over a year and gets stabbed or beaten to death... Granted, he was a much worse monster than Scott...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

"Well presented", why do you think he was convicted? One of his down falls was the fact that his demeanor throughout the entire trial was solumn, closed and unemotional. I wouldn't call Scott well presented, actually his "presentation" worked against him. He jsut lost his wife and unborn child, show some emotion!!! ANy normal, innocent human being would have.
The jury didn't convict him on his "good looks" they looked inside and saw the detached liar that he is....

In Italian we say.."chi tasse consente"..who stays quiet, accepts/agrees..Scott's good at that.

In English we call that, "acquiescence."

Absolutely, if he gets the death penalty, he's getting off easy, a solitary cell to himself for the next 20 years for his appeals to run their course, as opposed to getting his ass reamed every day in the general prison population if he got LWOP. Wife and baby killers tend to get their asses reamed. Some have been killed themselves by other inmates.

Remember Jeffrey Dahmer? Hadn't been in prison over a year and gets stabbed or beaten to death... Granted, he was a much worse monster than Scott...

BTW, that was his second murder attemot.