JohnRich

Councilman Demands Bush Photos be Removed

Lancaster, Pennsylvania:
A Democratic city councilman has demanded that a baker remove photos of President Bush from his stand in Lancaster's venerable farmers' market, saying the city needs a "healing period" following the bitterly contested presidential election.

City Council member Nelson Polite approached David Stoltzfus last month and asked him to remove the pictures. When Stoltzfus refused, Polite vowed to pursue a city ordinance that would ban all political items from public places in the city. Polite said the photo offended city Democrats.
Source

Hellooo? Has Councilman Polite ever heard of "free speech"?

Yeah.

I agree. That's stupid.

I'm not really sure that City Council weenee Polite (seriously?) could ask the guy to remove a triptych of Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito, so I really don't understand this.

Obviously idiots come in all shapes, sizes, colors and even parties.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ahhh...the beauty of generalization. Truth need not apply.

"It's fun. People are coming up to me and supporting me. I've been getting letters and phone calls," Stoltzfus said Friday. "Even the Democrats come to me and tell me, 'Don't take that picture down."'

Free speech only applies to liberals.

Now why you gotta go and insult our (dz.com) liberals, when they obviously don't agree?

Shouldn't we all treasure the few times we can agree on something?
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

Now why you gotta go and insult our (dz.com) liberals, when they obviously don't agree?

Shouldn't we all treasure the few times we can agree on something?

OMG it's Armeggedon!!!!

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

that's just stupid. I hope the guy fights it in court and wins. Barring someone from displaying photos of the president is idiotic.

Yeah.
What he should have done is take an El Marko and draw a mustache and horns on the photo.;)
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

"It's fun. People are coming up to me and supporting me. I've been getting letters and phone calls," Stoltzfus said Friday. "Even the Democrats come to me and tell me, 'Don't take that picture down."'

He said Liberals not Democrats. There is a difference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah. So zip your lip Tuna!

Shhhht.

Now, that is funny.

And Quade and I are both liberals, and we don't meet his description.

Once again, generalizations are rarely true. Whether it's you or him making them and whether they're about democrats or liberals. You're both wrong.

"It's fun. People are coming up to me and supporting me. I've been getting letters and phone

calls," Stoltzfus said Friday. "Even the Democrats come to me and tell me, 'Don't take that picture down."'

And Quade and I are both liberals, and we don't meet his description.

It was pretty clear to me he wasn't talking about you or Quade. It was also pretty clear he didn't necessarily mean "all Liberals" or he would have said "all Liberals".

Once again, generalizations are rarely true. Whether it's you or him making them and whether they're about democrats or liberals. You're both wrong.

I think you are reading too much into his statement. But that's pretty standard for Liberals (not all). :D

Nice to see you admit you are a Liberal, though. Does this mean that from now on we can call you a Liberal without being accused of "labeling." :ph34r:

I just want to know when people are going to figure out that censorship is not a bad thing in private settings? It's property rights and their own right to express themselves.

If the government has a hand in it, I'll be next in line to condemn it. But when you put art up in a private gallery, you play by the gallery's rules. If they say it comes down early, then it comes down early. Find a new gallery that likes your stuff better. Don't piss and moan about censorship.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I just want to know when people are going to figure out that censorship is not a bad thing in private settings? It's property rights and their own right to express themselves.

If the government has a hand in it, I'll be next in line to condemn it. But when you put art up in a private gallery, you play by the gallery's rules. If they say it comes down early, then it comes down early. Find a new gallery that likes your stuff better. Don't piss and moan about censorship.

This is censorship (or attempted) because a politician is trying to get a baker to remove a picture he doesn't like from the baker's stand. On the baker's stand, he can put up a picture of anyone he wants to and no one has the right to tell him to remove it.

I was replying to 434 and his NY Times article.

Yes, the thread starter was an attempt at censorship and the councilmn should get a political smackdown.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*