tunaplanet

Peterson's fate

are you kidding me? he planned and executed the murder and disposal of his wife and unborn child over 'at least' the course of a month. what difference would it make if we knew exactly how he did it? he is the worst kind of offender IMO.

he is the worst kind of offender IMO.

Dahmer, McVey, Bundy and the rest appreciate you placing someone below them. Come on, he isn't the worst, but a SOB no less.

He's assuming that other guys will "think twice" about committing murder because they will see that retribution in murder cases is swift and sure.

It is neither and it also assumes that a person "thinks once" when it comes to these situations.

I'm not assuming anything! I know! Most people obey the laws that are too costly to get caught breaking and consciously break the small ones.

The pendulum is swinging the other way finally!
Secondly, it's not about punishment, it's about prevention.
And last, firm and fair punishment prevents vigilantism. If someone freely murdered someone dear to me or if things got too out of hand where my family was no longer safe; I would be forced to take the law into my own hands. It is the government's solemn duty to fairly and firmly administer justice.

-----------

Murders committed in a blind rage or a drunken blackout may not be prevented by capital punishment, but crimes of finance, which I believe this was, can be deterred by strong penalties.

Or what they would cal, "pecuinary gain (money)." Was this about pecuinary gain? He would have had to pay child support if he left her, which is money, but I don't know of any life insurance policy he had onher. This isn't a classic case of pecuinary gain, which is an aggravating factor when deciding DP or not for the C.A.

Do you have any empirical evidence of the impact of DP on deterrence?

I also feel that most crime is thought about and the penalty weighed prior to being committed.

Well, if the penalty is weighed then you just blew your deterrence argument.

I think that Lacy and Conner's murderer thought that he would get away with it or that with a good lawyer he could pull an O.J.

So he wasn't deterred by the notion he might get caught and sentenced? Does deterence even play in if people think tey can get away with it? So if all of these people are sure they will get away, then deterrence doesn't even enter the equation and is moot, right?

A weak or impotent justice system causes err encourages people to commit crimes that normally they would be too afraid to commit.

So you would rob a bank if the courts were soft on it? Me neither.

Peterson decapitated and then amputated the hands of his wife.

I didn't know he cut off her hands too! Did he think her body would not be ID'd that way? Did they ever determine the cause of death?

Was Connor still inside her when he did this? It's just insane to imagine that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

From the Sacramento Bee. Pretty Gruesome.

http://www.sacbee.com/24hour/special_reports/laci_peterson/story/6830847p-7768347c.html

I also remember the news here in Cali saying that the body was missing limbs too. They didn't go into detail but said they could not use dental nor fingerprints to ID the body. Since it was mainly a torso they found.

Peterson decapitated and then amputated the hands of his wife.

I didn't know he cut off her hands too! Did he think her body would not be ID'd that way? Did they ever determine the cause of death?

Was Connor still inside her when he did this? It's just insane to imagine that.

Yuck:|

Don't think The dumb golf ball (pete) was thinking that far ahead or behind DNA can be used for I.D. MY guess he attached the limbs and stuff to the anchor's and due to decomp wave action etc the torso floated to the top leave the remainder on the bottom with the anchor's.

OTOH the green river serial dude just left his victoms close to a road in a wooded area in clusters so he was able to lead the police to the remains maney years later.

R.I.P.

From the Sacramento Bee. Pretty Gruesome.

http://www.sacbee.com/24hour/special_reports/laci_peterson/story/6830847p-7768347c.html

I also remember the news here in Cali saying that the body was missing limbs too. They didn't go into detail but said they could not use dental nor fingerprints to ID the body. Since it was mainly a torso they found.

Thanks. Although, that article isn't entirely conclusive.. it is pretty convincing though.

The media had a field day with this trial here in Cali. You couldnt get away from it. When parts of the autopsy report leaked several coroners stated that the limbs and head most likely were removed before the body was dumped. To think someone could do this to a person, agh he's a sick f*&(k.

I know what you;re saying and agree. I do think he is guilty, but I also think the evidence was purely circumstantial.

If you were to have actually read my first postings, my point was that the entire trial WAS circumstancial....um.....:S

All I can say is this: Hope like hell no one dies around you.

They'd get what they deserved...I think either LWOP or death is appropriate, no? Rightful punishment.

The media had a field day with this trial here in Cali. You couldnt get away from it. When parts of the autopsy report leaked several coroners stated that the limbs and head most likely were removed before the body was dumped. To think someone could do this to a person, agh he's a sick f*&(k.

Reminds me of some sick photos I saw on the web once. A couple of geniuses had handed them in for development at the local Costco. The photos were of woman and her new boyfriend posing with various body parts of the woman's ex-boyfriend. They were quite cheerful about it in the photos smiling and joking with family fun gags like sticking the guy's severed foot in the mouth of the severed head that was sitting on the coffee table while mugging for the camera. They were arrested and sent away for a Loooong time.

Yep peterson is a sicko but I've seen sicker. There are some frikin animals on two legs out there.

So you would rob a bank if the courts were soft on it?

Damn right! a couple of them! An armored car too while I was at it!

----------------

What if during those crimes you might have to kill someone. Would you still do it?

No! I'm not to hip on the idea of spending eternity in hell, but I always thought robbing a bank would be very cool and 20 years in prison vs. 500 grand or so is somewhat tempting.
Back to the thread; I hope the S.O.B. has a long time to reflect on his selfish atrocity. In a perfect world there would be no need for capital punishment and eventually it will be a remnant of the barbaric past, but the world ain't perfect and this is today.
The funny thing is: the libs will piss and moan about the D.P. when it involves a minority but are somewhat silent when it comes to a Gacy, Dahlmer, or Bundy.

-----------

country right or wrong love it or leave it

Sorry. In a representative democracy, or, in our case, a republic, citizens have a reponsibility to stand up and put the government in its place when it is wrong. We are, after all, its boss. If we have to suffer the consequences of it's actions, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

"If liberty and equality, as is thought by some, are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in the government to the utmost." --Aristotle

"There is one safeguard known generally to the wise, which is an advantage and security to all, but especially to democracies as against despots. What is it? Distrust." --Demosthenes

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." --George Orwell

"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality." --George Washington

"Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." --Hermann Goering

"In true democracy every man and women is taught to think for himself or herself." --Mohandas Gandhi

"The spirit of democracy cannot be established in the midst of terrorism, whether governmental or popular." --Gandhi

"An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics." --Plato

"Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"So long as the people do not care to exercise their freedom, those who wish to tyrannize will do so; for tyrants are active and ardent, and will devote themselves in the name of any number of gods, religious and otherwise, to put shackles upon sleeping men." --Voltaire

"Over grown military establishments are under any form of government inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty." --George Washington
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I'm with you. I hope Peterson has a long ass time to reflect on what he did. He's going to spend the rest of his life, before he gets the shot, in a 6x10 foot cell with two 90min periods a week outside his cell, a shower every other day and a tv he has to share with some 10+ other inmates. To me that would be hell.

country right or wrong love it or leave it

Sorry. In a representative democracy, or, in our case, a republic, citizens have a reponsibility to stand up and put the government in its place when it is wrong. We are, after all, its boss. If we have to suffer the consequences of it's actions, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

"If liberty and equality, as is thought by some, are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in the government to the utmost." --Aristotle

"There is one safeguard known generally to the wise, which is an advantage and security to all, but especially to democracies as against despots. What is it? Distrust." --Demosthenes

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." --George Orwell

"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality." --George Washington

"Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." --Hermann Goering

"In true democracy every man and women is taught to think for himself or herself." --Mohandas Gandhi

"The spirit of democracy cannot be established in the midst of terrorism, whether governmental or popular." --Gandhi

"An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics." --Plato

"Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"So long as the people do not care to exercise their freedom, those who wish to tyrannize will do so; for tyrants are active and ardent, and will devote themselves in the name of any number of gods, religious and otherwise, to put shackles upon sleeping men." --Voltaire

"Over grown military establishments are under any form of government inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty." --George Washington

affirmative Of course:) the term that I used was was a quote or paraphrase from others in this forum.

Couldn't have said it better my self except you've got better communication skills than I do. Mind if i use you post for a cut and paste the next time the suject come's upB|

Thanks
R.I.P.

I too am one who was content with the verdict. Am I dancing? No, of course not. Nor am I celebrating. In fact, I'm rather sad. But it does relieve me that not only was he found guilty, he was given the maximum penalty - he forfeits his life.

Why am I sad? Because divorce was an option. Because he didn't need to kill Laci and Conor to change his situation. Because a dark and malignant heart took control of the situation, and it was planned, carried out, and covered up. Because a pregnant lady and her child was involved.

To take his life is revenge and deterrance. Revenge of course, and why is that wrong? To me, in this sort of circumstance, revenge is acceptable to take. To remove someone like that from the world is an appropriate punishment. And it will deter - far more than if he simply received Life. If someone who is thinking of killing their pregnant wife and soon-to-be-born baby, and they think "well, if I'm caught, all I'll get is a life sentence," to me that is no deterrant whatsoever. By assessing the maximum penalty there is, one does indeed send the message that any potential wife and child murderer may indeed forfeit his life might then consider an alternative.

Both reasons are acceptable to me.

Scott brutally murdered his wife, cut off her head, arms and legs, and dumped her torso (containing a child - Conor) into the bay. That is a horrific crime, and one which rises above the simple domestic murder by a long shot.

I've sat on several juries. None of the cases were of the calibre of this one. One of the juries I hung...I did not do it deliberately, nor did I do it because I refused to deliberate. That experience was one of the hardest things I've ever done...to sit there and be harangued by my fellow jury members for several days; to be called into the courtroom and talk to the judge and both attorneys by myself; to be very clear on what I thought, and ask for my fellow jurors to articulate what they thought, and to explain their positions....and then to remain - not stubbornly or pridefully - with my decision because that was what I honestly believed....that took it out of me. How simple and easy it would be to have just given in to what the others thought. How simple it would be to have handed over my own will and intellect, and let them tell me what I should do. And how hard to have that on my conscious for the rest of my life.

I do not envy a jury's deliberation, and to have come to a decision on someone else's fate clearly is not an easy task.

I also think the judge will not change the verdict. He has had several death penalty cases before him in the past, and has been reluctant to change the verdict (he hasn't before). While he may have had a hard time with the verdict, he also respects the jury system more than some judges I've seen. And for that alone, I don't think he will change it. OTOH, he is retired, and may see this as an opportunity to do something without recrimination (i.e. no political consequences of his action), and he may feel strongly about it.

It will be interesting come February.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~