tunaplanet

Peterson's fate

What if he pushed her, she fell and he freaked?

Then he goes up on a manslaughter charge for a few years and gets out. You don't chance the death penalty when something like this happens. You also don't call your girlfriend "from Paris" at a candlelight vigil for her.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

there is only one kind of man that could take his wife's pregnant body in a boat, anchor her with cement, and dump her on xmas eve without calling 911 IF an actual accident occured - how do you explain researching the currents in the bay 3 weeks before she turned up missing that her body was found in? seems clearly premeditated to me.

I don't pretend to know all the facts of the case. But, it does concern me where there are very limited facts about the circumstances surrounding the death itself.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

The green river murderer confessed to 40 something murders over 20 yr's plus doing all kinds of sicko stuff after the fact and he got LWOP this yr so who deserve's the death penality. Killing 50 victim in 15 yr's.

BTW his excuse was he didn't like to pay for sex.His victims of choice were working girls:S

R.I.P.

justice should serve, and LWOP is not justice IMO. I'd hang him at the town square.

The green river murderer confessed to 40 something murders over 20 yr's plus doing all kinds of sicko stuff after the fact and he got LWOP this yr so who deserve's the death penality. Killing 50 victim in 15 yr's.

BTW his excuse was he didn't like to pay for sex.His victims of choice were working girls:S

R.I.P.

justice should serve, and LWOP is not justice IMO. I'd hang him at the town square.

Thats what the prosecuter said no deals but then they were looking at 20 yr's of crims 40+ trials etc.

They cut a deal with Ridgeway to show them the bones that hadn't been located yet to give closure to the families for LWOP.:S

Ridgeway is still on the hook if he forgot to confess to one victim and the prosecuter finds out the deal is null and void.

Now every capital case in King county Wa. there's the ridgeway defence if he got life why can't my client confess and get LWOP.:)
R.I.P.

I'd like to see Peterson have to live with what he did. Dying is too easy. Lock him in a cell with a picture of his victims on the wall, and throw away the key. Give him a nice loooong time to think about what he did and the consequences.

He's going to be nuts &/or brain dead in 10 yr's. The longer he lives the nutty he's going to get. Don't think there's enough room in his cell to practice his golf swing, just play the game in his mind as long as it lasts.:)
R.I.P.

The odds are he'll rot or get killed in an altercation.

I think you're right on the money. Fresh white meat from the suburbs with a dash of celebrity...a fine dish indeed and best when served up scared. One can easily imagine his paisley face when he's confronted with his first water moccasin.

ummmm- doubtful. He'll be on Death Row and pretty well protected from most of the other inmates who would harm him. I heard last night that the average "stay" on Death Row in California (before execution) is about 16 years.

While I think it is the appropriate sentance, I'm not going to celebrate it.

Why does this make you happy?

I guess Im a sick fuck, but I feel that someone that can do something as fucked up as this deserves the worst punishment possible. Lethal injection is too kind for him, he should have a very slow and painfull death. His wife did nothing but trust him and look forward to having her and his child and in return he killed her and dumped her and their unborn child in the bay. To see that he is going to die for it, yep Im happy, celebrate it, probably not. Im sure you would feel a lot different if she was your sister. Putting him to sleep with Valium before they kill him isnt fair, his death should be slow and painfull. I only hope that he spends a long time in jail being someones bitch and gets ass raped a lot before he dies. All in all I think whatever he gets he deserves and a lot more.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

>I guess Im a sick fuck, but I feel that someone that can do something
>as fucked up as this deserves the worst punishment possible.

It doesn't mean you're a sick fuck to have that reaction. We all have impulses that are hard-wired into us; they kept us alive while our brains developed societies, laws and morals. Often, men who see an attractive woman have the urge to rape her; often women in the opposite situation have the urge to submit. Everyone on this board has noted the physical reactions that prepare their bodies to do just that.

But we also have minds, and they are stronger than our impulses. So when we notice our bodies getting ready to rape someone, we sublimate that urge and buy them a drink (or whatever) instead. We realize that our morals, and our society's laws, are more important to us than our basic instincts.

We see this in a lot of behaviors. We have a visceral reaction of hatred towards people who hurt (or threaten to hurt) us or our families. It's literally visceral - if someone threatens you or punches you, your blood pressure rises, your adrenals release adrenalin, your pulse goes up. This is all in preparation to beat the crap out of him, which is a survival mechanism if someone wants to beat up _you._ (Or it prepares you to run, which is also a survival mechanism.)

Needless to say, most of us are able to overcome this. If a drunk guy yells at you in a bar, your body may prepare to fight him, but your mind knows better and ignores him. If a guy accidentally cuts you off on final, you may get really mad at him (partly because your body is telling you to) but you don't get a rock and bash his head in.

I don't think the reaction to Peterson's actions are any different. Since we're empathetic creatures, we see what he did as potentially happening to our families, and we have that visceral reaction. But you have to decide if the visceral reaction is the right one - right in terms of what makes society better, what works with your morals, what will in the end keep you and your family safer. Often, the visceral reaction is not the one that will do that.

While I feel the jury reached the correct verdict, I would have preferred life without parole. Not because I think this man is not a scumbag and committed a heinous crime; but because I personally am against the death penalty.

The only cases I support the death penalty is when I believe the convict still poses a threat to society from behind bars.

Chris

He's assuming that other guys will "think twice" about committing murder because they will see that retribution in murder cases is swift and sure.

It is neither and it also assumes that a person "thinks once" when it comes to these situations.

I'm not assuming anything! I know! Murders committed in a blind rage or a drunken blackout may not be prevented by capital punishment, but crimes of finance, which I believe this was, can be deterred by strong penalties. I also feel that most crime is thought about and the penalty weighed prior to being committed. Most people obey the laws that are too costly to get caught breaking and consciously break the small ones. I think that Lacy and Conner's murderer thought that he would get away with it or that with a good lawyer he could pull an O.J. The pendulum is swinging the other way finally!
Secondly, it's not about punishment, it's about prevention. A weak or impotent justice system causes err encourages people to commit crimes that normally they would be too afraid to commit.
And last, firm and fair punishment prevents vigilantism. If someone freely murdered someone dear to me or if things got too out of hand where my family was no longer safe; I would be forced to take the law into my own hands. It is the government's solemn duty to fairly and firmly administer justice.

-----------

> I also feel that most crime is thought about and the penalty weighed
> prior to being committed.

I don't. We have plenty of examples in our own sport of people who jump canopies they are clearly not ready for. They are warned, they are shown examples, they see the incident reports - and yet they think "I can get away with it. I won't make any mistakes." And some do get away with it, but as we've seen, far too many do not. Most are not deterred even by the very real risk that they will be crippled or killed by their actions.

So I don't think the death penalty will stop someone from doing something if they believe "they can get away with it." It doesn't in skydiving, even when gravity (which is more reliable than the court system) regularly enforces the penalty.

So basically what prevents me from murdering my neighbor is that I dont want to get the death penalty?:S Murderers are not saying to themselves "wait I shouldn't kill a cop since I'll have a date with ole sparky." Once you have reached that mindset of murdering someone not much is going to stop you. Peterson decapitated and then amputated the hands of his wife. I really dont think he was too concerned whether he would get LWOP or the DP as he dumped her body over the boat. How about premeditated murder. Those people are not thinking wait I shouldn't do this cuz I will get the DP.

The guy was :S not legally, maybe a combo of :S & dumber than a golfball and all those other tittles the shrinks use.

IMO rather than a public X. A public aptitude test every 10 yr's might be a better deterrent. This is what happens to your body and mind after 23hr's/day in a box.

Do you want to roll the dice on beating the system and take a chance of ending up like that vegi.

R.I.P.

Although I truly belive that Scott is GUILTY, I've been struggling with my view on this entire process...they convicted him on "circumstancial evidence" and have now sentenced him to die....The lawyers have even said that there's no clear footprints leading to Scott's involvement, but all the fingers point toward him. Was this really a fare trial by which he was convicted based on concrete evednece? No. But does he dserve it in my book, yes.

As for the conviction, I say let him rot in jail, with no hope, no way of escaping. Let him have eternity to stew over what he did.

----------------------

Was this really a fare trial by which he was convicted based on concrete evednece?

Yes, the concrete he purchased and tied her too! :P

I know what you;re saying and agree. I do think he is guilty, but I also think the evidence was purely circumstantial. All I can say is this: Hope like hell no one dies around you.

I'm all for the existance of the death penalty!
Too bad it doesn't work!!
Murders like his are still happening, parents leaving kids in locked car, trunks in extreme heat.
Kids killing parents, teachers, etc.
The death penalty does not work.
The world is getting sicker.

So you're saying the death penalty is not a deterrent but just revenge? I agree, which is why I oppose it.

I'm going to give some lefties heart attack, but I'm not sure about the verdict. I think the death penalty is appropriate where there is really, really bad stuff going on, but here, I understand they don't even know the cause of death. There may be more that I don't know and as a result, but I'm not sure this case warrants the death penalty.

Weezy, it's the big one!!!! From a judicial standpoint, there is corpus delecti, but no connection to the hubby. There are strange circumstances with the fishing trip, cement and other things, but the bar is lowering by the day in regard to murder convictions.

For the record, I do feel he is as guilty as OJ.