mbondvegas

My first CHOP! (Line Over, Line Twist, Spinning on Back...I'm outa' here)

First off, what a weekend...
I went to Elsinore and Perris for the Holiday Boogie.
First SkyVan Jump, First JET jump (still smiling from that one), First Heli-Jump (wicked)....and a few first I could have done with out.

To set the scene:

1. I always pack for myself.
2. I just got a Demo Spectre that is slippery as snot.
3. I thought...hey...I'm on vacation...why pack.
4. I always use an RSL...but the risers on the demo did not have the ring for the RSL on the correct side for my rig.
5. My risers have hard inserts (for the excess cutaway cable), but the demo canopy's risers had no inserts.

after a very fun day on Saturday...following a JET jump, Heli Jump and a few fun 2 ways out of the Sky Van...I break off from our 2 way...track...dump and have a half of a line twist that snaps right out...I then notice that my risers are twisted oddly and...crap...a step through...I do a control check and all is well...I land without issue and politely mention to the packer that a step-thru was packed on that jump...he apoligizes and I note that it was not him but the guy he had packing with him...he then offers that I not pay for that packjob...I turned down that offer...said it was cool...and the original packer (the one who had not packed the step-thru) said he would pack my rig this time...he packed it...I paid for a day's worth of packing with a tip...then had a few beers at the Bomb Shelter.

The Cutaway

Sunday morning...I head over to Elsinore with the guy I was jumping with on Saturday and we had an uneventful 2way belly dive...track...I dump at 3.5...I get stood up and see for about a split second a asymetrical parachute that quickly spins up..as I am getting spun on my back...I notice the Line Over pulling down the nose on about one half of my canopy...I did about 2 very fast revolutions...noticed significant G's (yes even on the big Spectre)...and realized very quickly that this wasn't going to be fixed before my hard deck of 2K. I reach pillow...reach metal...pull pillow..pull pillow...release metal...double hand pull pillow...released...I'm then falling on my back...thinking...I still have altitude and I don't want to dump my reserve from here...I flip to my stomach while reaching for metal again...see the ground...and pull metal.....and poof...there is the most beutiful sight in the world...a great big white Tempo Reserve...and my freebag floating away. Whew!

My thoughts, lessons learned...and things I'm thinking about.

Since a packing error, in my opinion, was the cause of the mal.

I'm going to pack for myself or only use a packer that I know and trust. (I'm not bagging on the packer at Perris too much here...I know...you pay your money...and you take your chances...I'm just re-evaluating my choice to do so.)

Since the pull forces were WAY hard

I'm only going to use risers with inserts.
I'm considering re-evaluting my EP's to be the two handed method...although, I think my EP's were still quite good for this mal...as it took less than a second to add the second hand.

Since the reserve opening was sweet

I'm going to thank my rigger (Simon) with some beverages of his choice.

One thing I'm not going to change, but do not think was necessarily an issue in this situation was the use (or lack of use) of an RSL. While I know that getting the reserve out at a reasonable alti is a priority over being belly to earth and stable...I think I was happy not to have an RSL on this jump...although all would have probably have been fine...I really liked being able to flip over and arch before dumping my reserve (I was highly alti aware.) Despite this...I think I will continue to use an RSL as a default.

One thing...is for sure...it felt good to know that my practiced EP's kicked in immediately and that I was extremely aware and calm through the hole situation. Thanks to the folks at Elsinore who discussed what they saw and to those who found and brought me my main and free-bag!!! Sorry I had to get back to Vegas for tonight...I'm bringing a few cases of the good stuff on my next visit!

THOUGHTS ANYONE?
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

I'm then falling on my back...thinking...I still have altitude and I don't want to dump my reserve from here...

This mentality has killed people. While I personally don't have the experience to comment on the ins/outs of getting a reserve out right away vs. waiting to get stable, a quick search will find a handful of Bill Booth posts on the subject.

That said, I'm glad it worked out for you. :beer:
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

since your home DZ is Skydive Mesquite, I'd buy a 6 pack and sit down with Lance. Tell him the story the same way you posted it, and ask for his input. He's a great instructor, and has quite a few reserve rides.
As MB indicated, you might want to rethink the process, but at the end of the day, it went great, so congrats!

since your home DZ is Skydive Mesquite, I'd buy a 6 pack and sit down with Lance. Tell him the story the same way you posted it, and ask for his input. He's a great instructor, and has quite a few reserve rides.
As MB indicated, you might want to rethink the process, but at the end of the day, it went great, so congrats!

Will do...I thought a few might question the decision to flip before pulling silver...I'm still thinking about too. I'll definitely chat about it with a few of the Mesquite folks, including Lance.
- - -

This mentality has killed people...

That said, I'm glad it worked out for you. :beer:

I know..still thinking about that decision, but it definitely seemed like the lowest risk choice at the time.

As a note on my altitude...as the reserve opened...my ProTrack flatlined noting 2K. The consensus on the ground was the same...opened reserve at 2k.

Thanks...and I owe a bunch of beers for many first this weekend.:)
- - -

Heh, don't worry, it sounds like you made the right decision this time. And always be sure to note my signature when taking any of my posts seriously... I'm just as much of a newbie as you - and you've successfully handled a mal.

I randomly feel like saying that I had a fantastic opening on the paid packjob I got at Perris today [I thought I had 5 minutes to assemble/pack the rig before my call... turns out I had 90 minutes. Dammit!]... hooray packers. Though I guess you pay for a packjob, not an opening. :D
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Heh, don't worry, it sounds like you made the right decision this time. And always be sure to note my signature when taking any of my posts seriously... I'm just as much of a newbie as you - and you've successfully handled a mal.

I randomly feel like saying that I had a fantastic opening on the paid packjob I got at Perris today [I thought I had 5 minutes to assemble/pack the rig before my call... turns out I had 90 minutes. Dammit!]... hooray packers. Though I guess you pay for a packjob, not an opening. :D

No worries...I appreciate the discussion...that's why I posted the story. I hope you got to jump the jet this weekend....that was rad! I can say that 4 out of my 6 paid packjobs included good openings. :)
- - -

If you know were your are, thats find. There is no reason that you can't turn to your belly and start to find your handle at the same time. Thats complete bullshit about pulling first PULL before getting stable unless your under 700 feet. Thats from my experience.
1. LOOK, REACH, PULL
2. ARCH, ARCH ARCH
3. LOOK, REACH, PULL

p.s. I only try to gift rap presents not me.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

so it was your canopy that landed in motor track,,, after cut away, pattern of canopy got kinda chaotic due to people just looking at cut away main,, atleast your landing on reserve was good tho...

Yes, my main, freebag, and cutaway handle landed on the track. Thanks to the motorcyclist who picked it up!;)

The Tempo Reserve flew like a dream. It had Good flare and gave me a nice soft stand up landing.

Did you see the details of the cutaway from your view?
- - -

While I agree with DSE that lance is a greatinstructor and rigger I would tend to bring my reserve to the rigger who jsut saved my life. You gotta go tell him the story anyway right? I'd say he deserves the money for the repack and the drink of his choice.

next time bring it to Lance.;)
I love both of these guys (Simon and lance) and would let any of them repack my reserve but if one of them JUST SAVED MY ASS I would let them repack me again.

On another note.
GOOD FUCKING JOB, Mike.
My first and only reserve ride was at Perris a few years ago.

That hard cutaway must have been scary and I also agree with MB and DSE about rethinking your decsion to trust your audible BUT you were there. YOU were the one who felt you had a few second. YOU were the one who decided that you were high enough to get stable and YOU were the one who saved your ass.

GOOD JOB.

COme share a beer and your story this saturday.
My photos

My Videos

COme share a beer and your story this saturday.

Thanks for comments. I'm still batting around the decision to flip over and pull...but it felt like the right move at that moment. The hard pull situation was quickly solved by a hard jerk with 2 hands...but it was strange because I really didn't like the idea of those old demo risers when I got the main in the mail...and then thought...nah...it's a big 'ol Spectre...it won't spin up on me...;-)

Simon just repacked the reserve this morning. I'll be picking up my rig (and jumping it) at the DZ on Saturday. I'll bring beer and am very interested to hear peoples thoughts.
- - -

well, if you bring beer their thoughts will be goodones.LOL

Actually, Its cool you'll bring beer but that wasn't what i meant by "share a beer."

I meant there will more than likely be beer and you should come hang out. but yeah, bring beer:ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

well, if you bring beer their thoughts will be goodones.LOL
Actually, Its cool you'll bring beer but that wasn't what i meant by "share a beer."
I meant there will more than likely be beer and you should come hang out. but yeah, bring beer:ph34r:

I knew what you meant. BUT...I owe many a beer for all the first I've recently had. And I need to bring some beer so there is something in that fridge to drink besides Coors Light :P
- - -

I love when Mesquite reaps the rewards from firsts at other places! Good job Mike. Line over looks just like the picture, doesn't it. See you this weekend.

Yes...and chopping from a spinning mal felt quite similar to the training were you swing people around in circles by the training harness....just a little more windy.:)
- - -

I love when Mesquite reaps the rewards from firsts at other places! Good job Mike. Line over looks just like the picture, doesn't it. See you this weekend.

LOL. yea. remember when brandy first jumped there.
one of her FIRST jumps in mesquite was a chop.

We got the beer for that one too.;)
My photos

My Videos

Mike,
that newcies was good stuff man.

Hey Everyone,
Mike brought a CASE of beer to the DZ, not just a 12 pack. Some people may need to remember this gesture.

AND IT WAS GOOD BEER!

Kids nowaday think a case is 12 buds. Fucking weaklings.

Good stuff Mike.
My photos

My Videos

hard housing in risers the only way to go - i learned that the hard way like you on my first spinning mal on wing suit jump number 9 ! its such a basic thing that can really make your life so much simpler at the exact time that you need it most !

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

hard housing in risers the only way to go - i learned that the hard way like you on my first spinning mal on wing suit jump number 9 ! its such a basic thing that can really make your life so much simpler at the exact time that you need it most !

I agree! I actually have the Infinity Risers (with the metal housings) on my Javelin. If I demo again...I'll ensure I use my risers if it come's on old ones without any inserts. Lesson learned on that one!
- - -