freethefly

Dimebag Abbott

http://www.damageplan.com/

Murdered by crazed gunman
Some of you may have never heard his name, but you most likely heard his amazing thrash riffs in the band he founded "Pantera".
Everyday, another shame
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Only if you give equal credit to the gun in the hand of the police officer which stopped the shooter and saved many lives!

Agreed. He was extremely brave. He went into the situation with no backup and killed the shooter while he had a hostage. The hostage lived. True hero.

Forty-two

Only if you give equal credit to the gun in the hand of the police officer which stopped the shooter and saved many lives!

No joke!

Talk about a cop that "grabbed sack" and took control.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yeah, it is obvious to me that if only more people in the crowd had guns this would have never happened.

I wonder what the perp thought about the death penalty before he committed this crime. Wonder how he overcame that huge deterrent?

I never thought of that - let's segue into the DP threads! Great point. There are a lot of compelling facts here:

1. The guy was a kook
2. The cop was a hero
3. The guns had the least to do with this, it was the people
4. The kook gave zero consideration to the thought of spending his life behind bars or dying by lethal injection or by being shot by a cop or anyone else.

CONCLUSION: deterrence wasn't represented here. Of course the DP proponents would say you never see the benefits of DP deterrence because they are crimes that are not committed. The retort to that is that they have yet to produce 1 person, let alone bunches of them that claim they decided not to kill, or they moved to a non-CP state to kill due to the deterrence of the DP. Furthermore, DP deterrence, if effective (which I dispute), only has relevance between life w/o parole and death, which is a slim margin.

Also, the element of choice must be present with any deterrence, so deterrence, if effective only has a general affect and not specific or special.

The kook gave zero consideration to the thought of spending his life behind bars or dying by lethal injection

How do you know that? Did you interview him before he commited the crime? Did you talk to him after he died?

Actions. If he did give consideration, then he may have wanted to die, because just like Bush with Iraq, he had no apparent exit plan.

Put it this way, based on what is obvious with his actions, the presence of execution didn't deter him. Last time I checked Ohio has the DP.

http://www.drc.state.oh.us/public/capital.htm

This refers to another thread with much discussion, but the US used to execute minors.

http://www.ohiodeathrow.com/

Yeah, yeah. You can talk all you'd like but the bottom line you nor anyone else has a clue as to what he was thinking in regards to wether or not he was concerned about the death penalty....unless you have somehow figured out a way to read minds overnight.

fact remained that even if he thought about it, it wasn't deterent enough to stop him. Don't have to read minds to figure that one out.

I suggest you put your self proclaimed outstanding critical thinking skills to the test......

fact remained that even if he thought about it

Not the point. The point is EBSB said the, "Kook gave zero consideration." That is impossible for him to know....unless like I stated before he somehow has figured out not only how to read minds but to somehow obtain the exact percentage of critical thinking the man had pertaining to deterrance.

Forty-two

Not the point. The point is EBSB said the, "Kook gave zero consideration." That is impossible for him to know....unless like I stated before he somehow has figured out not only how to read minds but to somehow obtain the exact percentage of critical thinking the man had pertaining to deterrance.

End result is the same. Death penalty and the possibility of others owning a gun did not deter this man from comitting his crime.