JohnRich

Gun Accidents

Press release from the National Shooting Sports Foundation:

Accidental Firearm-related Fatalities Drop to All-time Low

A report from the National Safety Council shows that accidental firearm-related fatalities continue to decline and are at the lowest level in the history of record keeping. Statistics in the council’s “Injury Facts 2004” reveal a 54 percent decrease over a 10-year period ending in 2003.

Last year, 101,537 U.S. residents died in accidents of all types. Less than one percent, 700, involved firearms. The most common deadly accidents involved motor vehicles, falls and poisonings, claiming 72 percent of all accidental deaths.

Source: NSSF

NSC (You have to purchase the report to see it for yourself...)

Press release from the National Shooting Sports Foundation:

Accidental Firearm-related Fatalities Drop to All-time Low

A report from the National Safety Council shows that accidental firearm-related fatalities continue to decline and are at the lowest level in the history of record keeping. Statistics in the council’s “Injury Facts 2004” reveal a 54 percent decrease over a 10-year period ending in 2003.

Last year, 101,537 U.S. residents died in accidents of all types. Less than one percent, 700, involved firearms.

That must be very comforting to the families of the 700 deceased.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Only 700? :D I take it all back.

Let's look at a couple categories of accidental deaths.

Number of guns in America.........: 240,000,000
Accidental firearms deaths, 2004..: 700
Accidental firearms death rate....: .3 per 100,000 guns

Number of cars in America.........: 200,000,000
Accidental automobile deaths, 2004: 41,000
Accidental car death rate.........: 20.5 per 100,000 cars

Cars produce almost 60 times as many accidental fatalities as guns, and have a death rate 68 times higher - while there are fewer of them. Cars are more dangerous than guns!

We should be so lucky as to have accidental auto fatalities at the
same low rate as accidental firearms fatalities - it would save
40,000 lives per year!

Do you think that a 54% reduction in gun accidents over 10 years is a good thing?

That must be very comforting to the families of the 700 deceased.

Meaningless comment ignored.

Is that the best response you can come up with, professor?

Don't you think that a 54% reduction in 10 years is a good thing?

Sure is, but it's still unacceptable anyway. I'm surprised you pat yourself on the back about 700 unnecessary deaths.

Sure is, but it's still unacceptable anyway. I'm surprised you pat yourself on the back about 700 unnecessary deaths.

We pat ourselves on our backs for reducing it 54%, not 700 dying. Nice attempt to twist words. Have to do better than that.

Wrong. Gun owners have to do better at using guns safely.

Only 700? :D I take it all back.

Number of guns in America.........: 240,000,000
Accidental firearms deaths, 2004..: 700
Accidental firearms death rate....: .3 per 100,000 guns

Number of cars in America.........: 200,000,000
Accidental automobile deaths, 2004: 41,000
Accidental car death rate.........: 20.5 per 100,000 cars

Cars produce almost 60 times as many accidental fatalities as guns, and have a death rate 68 times higher - while there are fewer of them. Cars are more dangerous than guns!

We should be so lucky as to have accidental auto fatalities at the
same low rate as accidental firearms fatalities - it would save
40,000 lives per year!

That is the most absurd apples to frogs (not even close to oranges) comparison I've seen.

That is the most absurd apples to frogs (not even close to oranges) comparison I've seen.

Funny, I don't see it as that. Maybe mindset is in the minority.

I'm with Kallend on this one. Progress is great, but the number still sucks, and is not something to be proud of.

What is it with some people and saying that only perfection is acceptable?

What happened to a cost benefit analysis? When did only examining the cost become the way to go?

700 accidents to prevent millions of crimes and allow all the benfits of guns. It's not perfect, but what is?

By the way, he's not patting himself on the back for 700 dead. He's patting himself on the back for the 700 not dead that would have been 10 years ago.

He's patting himself on the back for 250,000,300 guns that were used safely and resulted in no accidents.

He's patting himself on the back for 54% fewer deaths resulting from accidents in an activity/sport/lifestyle that he loves.

What would you say to someone who said a 54% reduction in skydiving deaths was pointless?

What would you say to someone who made a sarcastic remark about how the 46%'s families?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Wrong. Gun owners have to do better at using guns safely.

Who are you to tell gun owners what they have to do?

Why do you care?

It doesn't affect your rights in any way.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

They're not gun accidents -- they're people accidents :P;)

Wendy W.

Exactly. A gun is not going to jump out of it's box, load itself, aim, and pull its own trigger. A person has to do all that. Without the person, a gun is just a useless hunk of metal. Accidental gun deaths are caused by the same thing most accidental deaths are caused by...human error.

Let me start by saying a 54% reduction in gun accidents is very commendable, yet I think we can all agree that more work is still needed. as too the following analogy:

Number of guns in America.........: 240,000,000 Accidental firearms deaths, 2004..: 700 Accidental firearms death rate....: .3 per 100,000 guns Number of cars in America.........: 200,000,000 Accidental automobile deaths, 2004: 41,000 Accidental car death rate.........: 20.5 per 100,000 cars

If you take into account the amount of time spent in cars as compared to the amount of time that guns are used, or in other words the amount of time where accidents can occur in cars as compared to the amount of time where accidents can occur with guns, the conclusion that cars are more dangerous then guns would not hold up. The frequency at which cars are used is so much higher then the frequency of gun use. Hence the conclusion that cars are more dangerous then guns to me seems flawed. In any rate the reduction of gun accidents is defiantly a good trend. I hope this trend continues.
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

Exactly. A gun is not going to jump out of it's box, load itself, aim, and pull its own trigger. A person has to do all that. Without the person, a gun is just a useless hunk of metal. Accidental gun deaths are caused by the same thing most accidental deaths are caused by...human error.

Good point, and along those same lines most of these accidents are cause by people that are inexperienced in handling weapons. Like the people that don't own them, the ones that borrow them from a friend or rent one at a shooting range. A good example, if you look at the military, and where the training accidents involving firearms are concerned, the majority of them come from non combat-arms units, ie support units. Not to take anything away from those soldiers we need them and they are great at what they do, but they don't handle their weapons often enough to be as comfortable with them as the grunt in the infantry battalion who always has a weapon at his side.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Let me start by saying a 54% reduction in gun accidents is very commendable, yet I think we can all agree that more work is still needed. as too the following analogy:

Number of guns in America.........: 240,000,000 Accidental firearms deaths, 2004..: 700 Accidental firearms death rate....: .3 per 100,000 guns Number of cars in America.........: 200,000,000 Accidental automobile deaths, 2004: 41,000 Accidental car death rate.........: 20.5 per 100,000 cars

If you take into account the amount of time spent in cars as compared to the amount of time that guns are used, or in other words the amount of time where accidents can occur in cars as compared to the amount of time where accidents can occur with guns, the conclusion that cars are more dangerous then guns would not hold up. The frequency at which cars are used is so much higher then the frequency of gun use. Hence the conclusion that cars are more dangerous then guns to me seems flawed. In any rate the reduction of gun accidents is defiantly a good trend. I hope this trend continues.

Correct analysis.

No, incorrect analysis. How are you defining use of a gun? Every time it's pointed at someone and fired? Well, then that's not an accident, is it? I would consider use of a gun to be anytime it is available to be used for protection. For many guns that is 24x7.

My parachute is available 24x7 to save me if I fall out of a plane. Considered on that basis, parachuting is an extremely safe activity.