chips26

Jumping Paintball smoke

Looking at getting some paintball smoke to use on some track dives here for one of our big turbine events coming up. Specifically looking at the Enola Gaye brand of cold burn paintball smoke, anyone have any experience with this brand? Any special dyes to worry about staining my jumpsuit? Does it show up well in freefall? Any and all comments appreciated.

Yes, they work pretty well. The EG18X will be your best bet for free fall, the EG18 work well under canopy. They produce the same amount of smoke, but the X does it in 45 sec versus 90 sec.

Not sure about dyes and the such for the jumpsuits.

Some guys I know just used them this past weekend, pretty sure they used the EG18X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSbDbsbAHa8&feature=youtu.be

Make sure your smoke bracket has a cut away system that you can release from your foot with some sort of lanyard.

You never want to drop anything over a populated area. A good smoke bracket has a release that drops the bracket away from your foot in case of a burn through, but keeps it attached to you. If you need to jettison the entire bracket due to an entanglement with your canopy, the cut away should be able to do that as well. Most brackets I have seen and maybe even used, did not do as describe above.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Doug, I have been tinkering with a bracket for a while. I am still refining the two stage cut away. Pulling the lanyard releases the bracket from the foot and drops it still hanging from a safety strap. A second pull releases the safety strap. If you want to jettison bracket and safety strap in one shot, a really hard pull does both. Been busy with other stuff, so the project has been sitting there.

Danny, I haven't had a chance to use the EG smoke yet. But if I build a bracket for someone else, I don't know how it will be used. Common standard white skydiver smoke burns hot enough to produce slag. I want to make sure the user has the safety features included in the case they use a hot type smoke with the possible problems they might encounter.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

It depends of what type you get. Enola Gaye has come out with several variation recently. Their first ones weren't very good for skydiving and were smaller than the M18s.

They have three fairly new ones, the EG18, EG18X, and the burst. The two EGs are the same size as an M18. All three put out about the same amount of smoke as an M18 as well. The EG18 burns about 90 secs, the EG18x burns about 45 secs and the burst only burns for about 20 secs. The burst is smaller than the EGs as well.