IanHarrop

U.S. army deserter seeking refugee status in Canada

This article is in regard to an American deserter that is applying to stay in Canada as a refugee.

What are your thoughts? I personally believe that if he joined up and was willing to take the Army's money for a college education, then he is obligated to perform the tasks they assign him and go where he is told to go.

Those are my thoughts, what are yours?

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/12/06/hinzman041206.html

The article for those that want to read it here:
--------------------------------------------------------

U.S. army deserter seeking refugee status in Canada
Last Updated Tue, 07 Dec 2004 05:06:34 EST
TORONTO - An immigration panel in Toronto opened a hearing on Monday that will decide whether a former paratrooper who fled the United States to evade the war in Iraq should be allowed to stay in Canada.

INDEPTH: Immigration http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/immigration/

Jeremy Hinzman on July 7, 2004 in Toronto ( CP Photo - file)

Jeremy Hinzman is seen as a deserter by the American military, but to his supporters he is a war resister and should be given refugee status in Canada.

"I think he has a perfect right to be here as a refugee. His life would be in danger if he went back to the U.S.," said one of Hinzman's supporters outside the hearing.

Hinzman enlisted in the U.S. army three years ago as a paratrooper with the 82 Airborne Division. He deserted earlier this year, rather than go to Iraq, and moved to Canada with his wife and small child.

In an interview several months ago Hinzman said he enlisted "for pragmatic reasons, because I wanted a college fund."

His lawyer says Hinzman is seeking refugee status because he's morally opposed to the war in Iraq and that the U.S. invasion of Iraq violates international human rights.

"We are allowed to argue that the conduct of the war on the ground is sufficiently outside the Geneva Conventions that Mr. Hinzman ought not to be associated with it. He should not be compelled to participate in an activity which is in violation of the Geneva Conventions," said lawyer Jeffrey House.

Watching the proceedings is a handful of other U.S. military deserters, among them Brandon Hughey. "We're optimistic that in the end we'll be able to stay. But it's going to be a long road," he said.

Three days have been set aside for the hearing.

Written by CBC News Online staff
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The bastard needs a few years in Leavenworth.
>:(

I agree and I am concerned that if they let him stay we will be opening the doors to a whole bunch of people that belived they signed up only to receive and not to give.

I don't agree with much that my government does these days and fully expect that our Canadian courts will indeed let him stay!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Don't worry Anvil, Canada is smarter than that... They won't let him stay!!!! They know the cosequences of that if they do grant the refuge status....

There are 3 people in question.
One of them will be allowed to stay, but his case is
different.... He is a duel citizen of the US and Canada.
Canadian law says he can stay since he is a citizen of
the country.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

I've got no problem with people opposed to the war not entering the military, but once you enter it you live up to your commitements. I hope he doesn't get refugee status.

Hear Hear!!!

That was my Tax money that sent the bastard to College!!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

I'm really quite curious what you think the consequences would be?

Canada has a long history of accepting refugees who choose not to serve. Usually this only helps people who are fleeing a country that practices the draft - largely because it's rare that someone would take the path this man has.

I honestly have no idea which way the refugee board will rule. I think it's really a wildcard for now.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Hmm, The consequences would be most likely notting that you can just bail out of your contract, and Canada will be there to help you out...:P:|
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

This article is in regard to an American deserter that is applying to stay in Canada as a refugee.

What are your thoughts? I personally believe that if he joined up and was willing to take the Army's money for a college education, then he is obligated to perform the tasks they assign him and go where he is told to go.

Those are my thoughts, what are yours?

Hi Ian

Me thinks same as you eh!

Never had a problem with the "draft dodgers" going to canada to avoid a "selective" draft.

IMO This case is different the guy signed a contract, got some bennies, and now he doesn't want to fullfill his part of the contract:|

Of course the Canadian courts will decide whats legal. Our opinion don't mean squat eh:)
Rather than wasteing our money putting this person in jail. How about a Dishonorable Discharge and pay the gov't back for all their costs. Including military training, housing etc.[:/]

Back in the seventies I knew several people that had left the States for Canada and Europe to avoid the draft and I didn't really have a problem with it then.

But this situation is different.

At this time my big issue is that he signed up voluntarily, accepted the benefits and then when he was called to hold up his end of the deal, he left.

Unfortunately, as I indicated earlier, I will be surprised if Canadian courts refuse his application for refugee status. Our courts are very soft on pretty much everything these days.

Edited to Add: as for punishment, the only choice is internment. If the States were to offer to execute him has a deserter (I know they probably don't really do this), then for sure that Canadian courts would make him a refugee.

Don't worry Anvil, Canada is smarter than that... They won't let him stay!!!! They know the cosequences of that if they do grant the refuge status....

There are 3 people in question.
One of them will be allowed to stay, but his case is
different.... He is a duel citizen of the US and Canada.
Canadian law says he can stay since he is a citizen of
the country.

Cananda won't return criminal refugees if they are subject to capital punishment. So where is your, "cosequences" rambling now?

I've got no problem with people opposed to the war not entering the military, but once you enter it you live up to your commitements. I hope he doesn't get refugee status.

Hear Hear!!!

That was my Tax money that sent the bastard to College!!!!!!!

Wait, don't you get college money after returning from service?

Canada has a long history of accepting refugees who choose not to serve. Usually this only helps people who are fleeing a country that practices the draft - largely because it's rare that someone would take the path this man has.

I honestly have no idea which way the refugee board will rule. I think it's really a wildcard for now.

_Am

I'm really quite curious what you think the consequences would be?

Typical American response as if we're going to go kill them all.

Where's the, "Should be shot" option?

That's probably what would have happened to him 50 years ago. I think he should at least spend a lot of his life in jail breaking big rocks into little ones. >:(

Actually go about 100 years ago and that was the last time a desserter was killed.

Actually go about 100 years ago and that was the last time a desserter was killed.

Pvt. Eddie Slovik was executed by firing squad during WWII.

Another SC poster debunked.

Hi Tuna

I couldn't agree with you more everyone in SC is full of it except you and me.:S:o:):P:):D:D

R.I.P.

Wait, don't you get college money after returning from service?

Officers can get the money up front (scholarships or academy)... college courses taken while on active duty are paid 75%... student loan repayment is 1/3 per year... if the individual was on a 2+2 or a 4+2 contract they may have already received money... not sure what this dirt bag's story is... but once you sign, and are sworn in for the second time... you are uncle sam's.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Whether you agree with him being charged with desertion or not, Pvt. Eddie Slovik was executed by firing squad during WWII. Pvt. Eddie Slovik

Ok, you're right. I thought it was during WWI.

"Supreme Allied Commander Dwight D. Eisenhower ordered that Slovik's execution be carried out to avoid further desertions in the late stages of the war."

Hmmm, he's a murderer, let's make him president. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

"Slovik was court-martialed for desertion under fire and sentenced to death by firing squad. His execution was carried out in the closing months of World War II, his wife totally unaware of the sentence. The army denied responsiblity, claiming that Slovik himself should have notified her."

Pardon me, I'm welling up - I just love America...