AbstractAlex

White or glowing face for first altimeter?

Hey guys!

I'm looking to buy my first altimeter and I really like the fit and feel of the altimaster galaxy iii.

My questions is pretty simple. Should I get a white face or glow face? The white face definitely looks a lot nicer aesthetically, but when it comes to skydiving aesthetics aren't exactly my top priority!

Why would you recommend / not recommend a glow face?

Go check out all the options, try them on and decide. Glow in the dark faces are something you're not going to use more than a few times. 0.3% of my jumps are night jumps. Maybe 0.5% could have used the backlight on my altimeter. In other words, not high on the priority list.

-Michael

I won't knock an analog altimeter, they work well and are usually cheaper than digitals. But I would say, try out a digital, someone should let you borrow one for a jump. I never considered them when I was buying gear (just figured they were a pro/swooper thing, I was at a small DZ and stupid) Anyway, forgot my alti on a jump and a guy let me borrow his digital since he was doing a hop and pop, after that I was like "I need one of these!"

I love my Neptune. But I still find myself in addition to. Jumping my altimeter 2 chest mount from 1981. And it always is right there with most of the digital's on the load.B|

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I would get the glow face. The price difference is negligible, and there are no downsides to having it, but it'll be there if and when you need it. Aesthetics? The only time I even notice that my alti face isn't quite pure white is when I see it right next to one without the glow face (and I actually prefer the look of the glow face for some reason, but that's probably just me).
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg