hajnalka

Vaping/e-cigarette fluid spilled on rig

One of my video people came to me this morning asking me to look at her rig .... someone had spilled 'vaping' fluid all over her back pad. The strong smell was the same that we get in puffs of 'vape' sometimes in the hangar. The substance was very oily.

She had blotted/cleaned most of it off before she brought it to me, but her backpad was saturated.

I grounded her rig, because I had no idea if this could be harmful to the nylon.

I'll be contacting manufacturers in the morning to see what they say. At the least, I'll be cleaning her rig to get the smell out.

In the meantime, I'd love to know what you think: Was I right to ground the rig? What would you do?

Appreciate any input.

Safe rigging,
-D

There are three or four main ingredients in vape juice propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine, and distilled water. After those four its food flavoring to make different flavors and sometimes food coloring. I don't know what the juices would do but those are the ingredients to reference to.

I'd pull the reserve out right away, to try to avoid the fluid soaking through the back pad and into the reserve components while you're waiting to hear from the mfrs.

The smell of vaping fluid makes me want to put my head through a wall. I feel for your customer! Hopefully it's just a wash-and-repack deal, AND the smell will come out!

husslr187

There are three or four main ingredients in vape juice propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine, and distilled water. After those four its food flavoring to make different flavors and sometimes food coloring. I don't know what the juices would do but those are the ingredients to reference to.

Appreciate it - thanks!

Research (Googling ;)) doesn't show anything harmful to nylon, and manufacturers are looking into it as well.

I'm still washing the rig for her because the stuff is oily and the odor is overwhelming.

Correct call.
When in doubt: wash!

When a strange (unknown) chemical gets spilled on a rig, the first priority is blotting off excess with paper towel.

Secondly - if there is any risk of it soaking in deep enough to damage webbing or the reserve canopy - open the container and air it out. If chemicals penetrate, rinse liberally with fresh water.
The solution to pollution is dilution.

Third step, try to vacuum out strange chemicals.

Fourth, some chemicals can be neutralized (e.g. baking soda neutralizes acid).

Fifth, when in doubt, wash with mild soap. Rinse and repeat until all chemical residue disappears.

Sixth, re-inspect for structural integrity.

Is Nylon similar to polycarbonate?

Some flavored e-juice has been known to etch polycarbonate tanks that make up vaping equipment. The juices that etch and crack tanks are citrus flavored or cinnamon flavored.

It isn't the PG or VG that causes the issue, it is some chemical in the flavor compounds.

Does the customer know which asshole spilled the juice? I have no tolerance for people that put something that can be spilled near rigs. I would be fuming. :|

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

Some flavored e-juice has been known to etch polycarbonate tanks that make up vaping equipment. The juices that etch and crack tanks are citrus flavored or cinnamon flavored.

It isn't the PG or VG that causes the issue, it is some chemical in the flavor compounds.

Does the customer know which asshole spilled the juice? I have no tolerance for people that put something that can be spilled near rigs. I would be fuming. :|

Cinnamon flavoring (along with a few others, mostly spicy or strong fruits) has been known to break down plastics regardless of the PG or VG mix in which it's suspended.

I recall that nylon impellers on industrial pumps was compatible with proplyene glycol. If I recall correctly PG is also used as anti-icing solution so it should be pretty easy to verify that it is non-reactive with nylon aircraft parts.

The more difficult part is to find out exactly what else was in there and see if it is reactive or even acetic.

This past weekend a jumper was unhappy because I kicked him out of our packing tent for vaping.

-Michael

DougH

Interesting that you said this, because the manufacturers were asking me if I could specify the flavor: was it cinnamon, black licorice or banana? (I don't know. Smelled overwhelmingly like caramel/coffee to me.)

Evidently some flavors can be corrosive to and/or interact with plastic ... or nylon.

The rig is a WIngs, the reserve a PD. Both the most excellent Heather at Wings and the folks at PD have been very helpful with this. But it's a new one for them, too.

Obviously when in doubt about any substance: wash it out and test when dry. Any further doubt about degradation to the nylon: contact the Mfg and send it to them for testing.

We don't know who spilled the juice on her container. I'm taking care of it, and won't charge her for it because this was an unfortunate accident that wasn't her fault.

We do have a new rule: No vaping or vaping fluid allowed in the building or hangar. Outside only.

I appreciate everyone's input - thanks.
-D

I know of a couple of rigs permanently grounded due to "smoke damage" from structure fires and not knowing the long term affects that may have on the rig. In both cases, homeowners / renters insurance covered them for new gear. It's something to look into...
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...