Rigger Identification

Attn riggers:

How would one find out whether a rigger is licensed or not? Thanks!
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Beaware that in the airmen inquiry data the date received will be the date of their LAST rating or becoming master. My initial certificate was 1985 but it says I've been a rigger since 2010.:S

As above simply ask them for their certificate. Plastic card the size of a credit card, no photo but lists ratings.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

markharju

Attn riggers:

How would one find out whether a rigger is licensed or not? Thanks!

Well, to be a bit pedantic, if he is licensed, then he's a rigger. If he's not licensed, then he's not a rigger. It's part of the title of the rating.

As was noted, riggers are issued cards. In theory, they are supposed to have that card in their possession when "exercising the privileges of the certificate."

I'm not sure if they are required to present that card upon reasonable request (pilots are).

Care to expand on your question?
Is there a situation where someone is performing the duties and tasks of a rigger and you suspect they don't hold the rating?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

In theory, they are supposed to have that card in their possession when "exercising the privileges of the certificate."

I don't see any such requirement for riggers. 61.3(a) for pilots, yes.

wolfriverjoe

I'm not sure if they are required to present that card upon reasonable request (pilots are).

65.111(d): Each person who holds a parachute rigger certificate shall present it for inspection upon the request of the Administrator or an authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board, or of any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer.

Doesn't apply to just anybody asking, though I think it's a reasonable thing for a rigger to do if a customer does ask. For pilots it's 61.3(l), which is basically the same, but also applies to the TSA.

jonstark

Well, to be a bit pedantic, if he is licensed, then he's a rigger. If he's not licensed, then he's not a rigger. It's part of the title of the rating

A rigger is "certificated" not licensed.

Good point. Thank you.

And thanks for the above clarification on the "possession" aspect too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

What about finding one based upon the lead seal? Thanks!
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

markharju

I remember someone posted a list of FAA rigger seals on dropzone.com, which was from 2011, but not entirely complete - for whatever arcane FAA reasons. It was "symbols.csv" but a quick search didn't find it. I can repost but someone else should find it.

I looked at dumping out their database once but I see now they've changed it to require a full last name so you can't even fool the search tool into spitting out all its data so we could re-process it into a more usable form.

-Michael

markharju

what are the symbols on the seal ?
Also in which country is the rigger operating ? Which authority has licensed/certificated that rigger ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

***What about finding one based upon the lead seal? Thanks!

what are the symbols on the seal ?
Also in which country is the rigger operating ? Which authority has licensed/certificated that rigger ?

The symbols are our unique 3-digit codes. The FAA calls them symbols.
For instance, my certificates with ratings (I'm actually not sure if I have 3 certificates or one certificate with 3 ratings, but I have 3 cards, I'm thinking it's the former):
[inline symbol.PNG]

There was an old copy of the symbols list around here but that is several years old by now. Looks like someone put it up on Google Docs: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4782293#4782293

I downloaded the entire database at one point, but I didn't really do much with it because I was being lazy. Maybe one of these days I'll make a searchable database if I can figure out how they had it all set up. I also recall that the seal symbol codes weren't present in that download so it may be something that has to come via specific requests.

Edit: Found the CSV.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I submitted a request for a list of seal symbols with first and last name, but was ignored. I wish the packing data card required a printed name along with the signature.

I did take that old list from here and spliced it with the airman certificate database. After some sort/filter and copy/paste sorcery I ended up with a single data base that shows name, address, certificates, ratings, and seal symbols, but it only contains the people who were on that outdated list from 2011.

I can post it if anyone is interested.