frenchcloud

X-fast pack volume VS Speed2000

Alright, so I read about the legendary low pack volume of the German Speed2000 reserves. i bought one and packed it. Mind= blown. I can attest the pack volume was smaller than the Optimum 99!
The charts say: Opt 99sqf= 229 cub in. The Speed2000 120sqf = 221 cub in. It's true!
Now I found out that the pack volume of the French reserve from Basik, X-fast has the same pack volumes as the Speed2000. Can someone who packed those confirm? Chart says X-fast = 225 cub in. I pack these in the tiniest rigs on the market and believe me, these low bulk reserves make a huge difference. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

--------------------------------------------------
The tongue is NOT only a tool for speech!

The Speed2000 has very low MSW limits when compared with some other reserves:

Size in sqft / Max suspended weight (kg) / Volume in cui

120 / 72 / 221
135 / 80 / 248
150 / 88 / 266
170 / 96 / 307
190 / 110 / 322
220 / 115 (105 Student) / 344
250 / 115 / 393

I believe there is a big thread about low pack reserves where the Speed2000 is discussed quite a bit.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

And the x-fast isn't as low limits:

Model / MSW (kg)/ Volume (cu.in.)
120 / 80 / 225
135 / 90 / 252
150 / 95 / 270
170 / 100 / 315
190 / 110 / 330
220 / 120 / 355
245 / 130 / 415
265 / 130 / 440
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

And for comparison, the optimum stats:

size / MSW (kg) / pack vol
99 / 100 / 228
106 / 100 / 239
113 / 115 / 250
126 / 115 / 271
143 / 115 / 298
160 / 120 / 331
176 / 123 / 355
193 / 125 / 402
218 / 127 / 438

This info on optimums was taken from the attached file (that I can't find the URL for at the moment)

degeneration

The Speed2000 has very low MSW limits when compared with some other reserves:

Size in sqft / Max suspended weight (kg) / Volume in cui

120 / 72 / 221
135 / 80 / 248
150 / 88 / 266
170 / 96 / 307
190 / 110 / 322
220 / 115 (105 Student) / 344
250 / 115 / 393

I believe there is a big thread about low pack reserves where the Speed2000 is discussed quite a bit.

It is worth mentioning that the MSW approved by the manufacturer in this case has nothing to do the certification weight. The Speed can handle significantly more than what the MSW states, but paratec advices against that. An excerpt from their manual:

Please choose your canopy size to match your personal experience
level and your requirements. A 120 sqft reserve will easily support
and land a 200 Ibs jumper but is he really able to do so under all circumstances?
Probably not!!
When you have to use your reserve, you are probably not over your
home DZ with plenty of space to land (Remember: Murphy is everywhere).

I believe (I am not completely sure though) that other manufacturers just list the maximum tested weight and are not that (overly?) cautious

So I already know the Speed is still in production and i believe the Xfast isn't. I know both canopies have been tested at 300lbs for the speed and 265lbs for the xfast and at 175 and 180 kts. I just need the feedback of someone who knows both and can attest that the pack volume of the Xfast really is 225cub in. It s super hard to fit a PDr 106 in a vector 303 or a vortex evs 100 but the speed 120 went in ridiculously easily. I wonder if it would be the same with the Xfast...

--------------------------------------------------
The tongue is NOT only a tool for speech!

Deimian

***The Speed2000 has very low MSW limits when compared with some other reserves

It is worth mentioning that the MSW approved by the manufacturer in this case has nothing to do the certification weight. The Speed can handle significantly more than what the MSW states, but paratec advices against that. An excerpt from their manual:

Please choose your canopy size to match your personal experience
level and your requirements. A 120 sqft reserve will easily support
and land a 200 Ibs jumper but is he really able to do so under all circumstances?
Probably not!!
When you have to use your reserve, you are probably not over your
home DZ with plenty of space to land (Remember: Murphy is everywhere).

I believe (I am not completely sure though) that other manufacturers just list the maximum tested weight and are not that (overly?) cautious

Yeah, it is discussed in the big thread Kris mentioned. The value listed as MSW is actually maximum recommended suspended weight, similar to PD's weight/experience charts. The actual MSW is the "certification weight", which is 115kg/254lbs.

The recommendations are based only on the worst case scenario considerations; the manufacturer explicitly says in the thread it will fly and land just fine up to certification weight, you might just not want it to under the sort of circumstances reserves are designed for (aka unconscious and injured). The same considerations that'd lead someone to installing a Speed2000 in their tiny pocket rocket rig. All things considered, a Speed2000 120 is very likely significantly better than Optimum 99, although still a foolhardy choice unless you're a tiny 45kg girl. Personally I refuse to consider anything smaller than 150 for my weight, and even then it's pushing it slightly. And since my piloting skills while unconscious are unlikely to improve, I have no intention of ever going lower, regardless of the main I fly. So Speed2000 sounds like just the thing.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."