Jethers203

Weight / Rigging For 12' x 18' Flag

So, I jumped my setup Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday:

Went to 10,000' and took it down to 8,000' to test the bag and extra weight in freefall. All went well, but the opening was a little snappy. After checking connections and cutaway system, I deployed the flag by lowering the 10 lbs of lead shot attached to the bottom of the leading edge. It was apparent right away that the weight was not sufficient. I hooked my feet behind the top connection and put some forward pressure on it. This helped a lot and I could feel what the flag was doing a lot better. It flew great in breaks and deep breaks, but not so much in full flight. My Spectre 190 at 1.33 is a bit too fast for this setup. I chose to land on an asphault road bordering the landing area in order to limit the dirt exposure to the flag. I setup on final 150+ yards out and took it straight it. Landing was smooth.

Sunday:

Went to 5,000' and opened right out the door. Checked connections and deployed the flag. I added 5 lbs (6,000 BB's) to the middle of the flag and could tell the difference right away. It flew a lot smoother in breaks and very smooth in deep breaks. Full flight was still a bit too fast. I landed near the peas in the landing area this time. Landing was smooth.

Attached are a few pics. Cloudy ones from Saturday and sunny ones from Sunday.

I still intend to put the weight in 2" tubular nylon along the leading edge.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Clint

Feedback or not but...

In Sweden we could´t jump flags with weights because of fear of accidents (was one incident like 20+ years ago)
But we just worked around that by not using solid weights or ledd (bad for the environment if cut away) and using sand and a nifty cut-a-way/release system for the sand do spread in mid air instead.
Yes it´s a lot bulkier but was the only way to make i possible again.
And from my experience is that you need more weights than one think.... =)