Fall0ut

Airtec announces WINGSUIT CYPRES

I would also be interested to know how the two components communicate.

As for the question of reliability of that link though, it appears to be fail-safe: If you do NOT hear the "melodic tone" from the audible piece, then it is NOT safe to swoop. It might mean the device didn't switch modes, or it might mean that the audible link failed. But the only real consequence is a "wasted" opportunity to swoop.
BASEline - Wingsuit Flight Computer

I would have thought it too dangerous for them not to communicate - the audible could then communicate safe to swoop because it detected the conditions of canopy open because it's inside your helmet whereas the AAD in your rig may not have detected the same conditions (both air pressure and any accelerometer readings could both be significantly different between the two locations, as well as any other multitude of inputs that they might be using).

mr2mk1g

I would have thought it too dangerous for them not to communicate - the audible could then communicate safe to swoop because it detected the conditions of canopy open because it's inside your helmet whereas the AAD in your rig may not have detected the same conditions (both air pressure and any accelerometer readings could both be significantly different between the two locations, as well as any other multitude of inputs that they might be using).

THIS.

Although it might be very nice, at this point, if the "cypres audible" could be designed also as a proper freefall/canopy audible, with beeps for altitudes and the "melodic sound" for parameter switch, so that people with a WS Cypres could use only that instead of having another audible. I know two audibles is not a big deal, but between that, the gps, the go pro, the digital alti, the amount of house keeping that all the batteries require is becoming a substantial part of my Friday night routine. :ph34r:
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

What I like about this so far with very limited info:

Someone is doing something about the WS/AAD situation.

That someone is airtec.

What I'd like to know more about:

How is the parameter switch triggered? What are the conditions to switch modes? Would it be at all possible in some circumstances to trigger the mode switch without a canopy?

At what loading and handling could we bust the WS fallrate parameter under canopy? Is everyone in danger of a misfire if the mode switch doesn't happen or just highly loaded canopies throwing multiple rotations? If the mode switch doesn't happen, how should flight be restricted to avoid a misfire? No fronts? No hard toggle turns? No turns? Can we still fly our canopy safely to the ground on WS mode?

It would be highly unlikely to have someone deploy a main, then cut away still zipped up and get no immediate reserve out (no/released rsl + no pull) then spin in with the cypress still in canopy mode. I can think of some canopy collision scenarios that would fit the bill. If we knew how long after slider down the switch happened it might be a good idea to clear traffic and unzip at least partially before that happens. Might be too short though.

What I don't like:

Audible. I don't like another computer box in my helmet. I don't trust the idea of the wireless communication. I hope it's not full on communication, but something more KISS.

That. Sound. WTF. I absolutely cannot imagine every single one of my amazing flight experiences having that god awful sound at the beginning of every canopy flight forever. I can see why airtec would want to have a reliable way to ensure the information is received. I think they should have went with a small led extension mounted on say the mud flap. No access at all, just a LED mode indicator. After deployment part of house keeping would be a glance at the indicator. Not sure how hard that would be on the battery compared with wireless communication. Hell if they like the box so much let's put the indicator on the box and let us choose where we put it, helmet or mounted on rig or even wrist for visual instead of audible.

Wouldn´t it be the best to directly ask Cypres?
and then tell us here the results, instead of asking everyone from here about technical data/parameters/settings/ .. which (in my opinion) can only be answered from someone inside of the company.

If you doubt that you will get an answer from the manufacturer, what do you think the community will be able to clearify?

Not to get me wrong, if in doubt: ask ..
but if I have questions about a new technical device which I REALLY want to be cleared, I would not go to a forum like this.
With the answers to discuss that later on, yes.

For the cutaway issue, this is a nice one to watch ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDm-tUA9RaQ
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

Im not actually asking anyone buddy, the info isn't out yet. I did ask airtec (cypres is a product, not a company) months and months ago after learning about the first fatality and they said they were working on something and I'll know more along with everyone else when it's out.

The questions were meant to promote discussion (this is a gear forum, yes?). I did not expect anyone to answer them per se, but was expressing my likes and dislikes based on info that's available.

I'm terribly sorry to have wasted your time with my talk about gear at a gear forum, thanks for reminding me this place is only for people with all the answers.

Maybe I'm misreading this statement somehow, but I don't think the audible would ever communicate that the mode switch has taken place if it hasn't actually got an acknowledgement from the Cypres. If the audible detects that canopy flight has been initiated, it should tell the Cypres that this is the case, and the Cypres needs to respond that it has changed mode before the audible says anything at all.

Of course, this is just speculation.
I asked Airtec about how the mode change would happen on facebook when they posted the "technical" video for this product, which contained no technical information at all. They responded by saying they will give more technical information when the product is on the market.
Not really sure who they are trying to get excited about this product without any information whatsoever..