tricky

Thoughts on Euthanasia

What are your thoughts on euthanasia? (specifically in a medical situation)

Two opposing sides:

"We should as a society say no, and decisively so, to euthanasia and assisted suicide...If a death marked by pain or suffering is a nasty death, a natural biological evil of a supreme kind, euthanasia and assisted suicide are wrong and harmful responses to that evil." (Daniel Callahan "Aid-in-Dying")

"To claim that a an incessantly pain-racked but conscious person cannot make a rational choice in matters of life and death is to misconstrue the point: he or she, better than anyone else, can make such a choice, based on intimate acquaintance with pain and his or her own beliefs and fears about death. If the patient wishes to live, despite such suffering, he or she must be allowed to do so; or the patient must be granted help if he or she wishes to die." (Margaret Pabst Battin "The Case for Euthanasia)

I'd like to hear your thoughts on either side of the issue. Curiosity is my motive.

If you have a dog that is in a world of pain, and can barely function, it would be considered humane to put him to sleep. Why is it then considered cruel to do it to humans?

Obviously, I am all for euthanasia ... if I am a vegetable, or close to it, and I am unable to do the things I want to do, I wouldn't want to live anymore. Somebody else might, and more power to them .... but my life should be my choice.
This ad space for sale.

It's considered the kindest thing we can do for pets that are in pain. It's a tough question, because yes, people CAN change their minds. Suicide is an option for people who have the means -- assisted suicide in one sense simply means that one accepts the person's decision about their own life, and assists them in making it peaceful and painless.

Euthanasia in the sense of someone making the decision for someone else (not the "unplug" but the "painkillers until they can't breathe") is a tougher question, but, again, if there is an indication that the person would have wanted it that way (medical directives), then it should most definitely be an option.

Obviously this doesn't cover all possibilities.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

if I am a vegetable, or close to it, and I am unable to do the things I want to do, I wouldn't want to live anymore. Somebody else might, and more power to them .... but my life should be my choice.

I agree. If I am in a comatose state... by no means would I want to continue living. So, what about the non comatose....

Dogs and humans are very very different. I won't open that can of worms unless it is necessary... but you can not compare the two.

I'm all for it. If someone has a terminal disease and is in severe pain let them die with dignity. My mom watched my grandma die with pancriatic cancer for 4 months till she was below 80lbs and even morphine couldn't dull her pain. All this while medical bills kept coming. The hospital was happy though, they got a shitload of money from us.

What if I'm not comatose, but I am conscious, maybe paralyzed from the neck down, and I decide for myselfp that I would rather go now with my memories rather than be a burden on society and my family. Why should I not have the right to take my own life, or to request assistance from a doctor so that it is done as painlessly as possible.
This ad space for sale.

Yes it is ... one big reason the states want it to be illegal is because suicide is illegal ... if someone commits suicde, it's a crime, and the state gets to seize your assets.

that, and you have the religious right, saying life is so sacred that volutarily destroying it is a sin.
This ad space for sale.

Almost everyone that has posted is in favor of euthanasia and yet it is illegal in all but one state of the United States.

Could anyone elaborate more on why they believe euthanasia has not been legalized in the US?

Is there anyone against euthanasia?

The legal issue in the UK has been avoided by the courts and requires legislation on the matter. Problem is that there’s no clear consensus on which way direction things ought to take. I suspect that we’re close to having a form of euthanasia legalised but there’s much concern as to how in the hell it’s supposed to be regulated or protected from abuse.

The situation at the moment is that it is illegal to actively do something that will lead to someone’s death (obviously) but that people aren’t generally under a legal duty to actually do something to prevent someone’s death. Thus if you have someone in a vegetative state, you are not allowed to inject them with something that will kill them (that’s murder) but you are allowed to simply stop feeding them or otherwise withdraw care (ventilator whatever). As you have no duty to feed them etc, you’re not breaking any rules by simply not doing so. The patient still dies and no laws are broken.

The situation becomes more difficult where the patient is self aware, as it can be terribly traumatic for them to go through the physical difficulties that may be associated with the withdrawal of care. That’s not exactly what the concept of euthanasia is about now is it.

Then you have grey areas around what amounts to care given to relieve pain but with the side effect of possibly shortening lifespan – such as massive amounts of morphine. It kinda depends on how the court thinks you were intending to act. Intention to relieve pain – not liable / intention to kill – murder… yet the act is identical.

It’s a difficult situation to deal with on the legal side and a difficult situation to be in on the medical side. I’m sure it’s an even more difficult situation for those involved personally. Hence the need for legislation – but as I indicated goodness knows how you can legislate on such a grey area. Legislation is great for creating fixed boundaries… it’s not so good at creating flexible rules that work with the situation for an outcome that’s just. The courts are much better at that, but they still need that framework…

We’ve had a number of instances where individuals have come to trial and essentially admitted euthanasia. In these instances we’ve had quite a few perverse judgements (but not all). This is where the jury is directed that in strict legal terms the defendant has committed murder… but they come back and deliver a not guilty verdict. They’re not saying that the accused didn’t do it – simply that in the opinion of the jury, their actions don’t warrant punishment.

There are no easy answers to the legalites of it I'm affraid. As far as the morals are concerned... I guess I don't really have time to comment.

I really don't want anyone telling me what I can and can't do with the one thing I truly own. My life.

Not trying to push God on you and I don't want to hijack the thread but the ~82% of Americans who hold to Judeo-Christian values believe that their lives aren't "truly" their own. We are stewards of the lives we’ve been given. Christians believe that their lives ultimately belong to God. In addition, I just don't see suicide as "dying with dignity." Whatever horrid shape you may be in, I think there's a lot more honor in fighting the battle to the end or finishing the race. I respected Christopher Reeve much more "after" his accident than before and he affected millions around the world in a positive way due to his fight. I think suicide is a very selfish thing.

And yet, once again, we come to the question of why the 82% get to make that decision for the rest? This goes to my point in the other thread. I'd say about half of that 82% think they hava a moral obligation to legislate this for everyone, because they believe is is the right thing to do. And the other half are fine making their personal decisions based on their beliefs and letting everyone else do the same.

I think suicide is a very selfish thing.

Great. I don't. And why does the word "selfish" have a negative conotation anyway?

Just because others beliefs say something does not give them the right to force them on me. It was said yesterday the goverment has no business in the bedroom. That's small potatos compared to the goverment having a say in what a person chooses to do with their life.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Could anyone elaborate more on why they believe euthanasia has not been legalized in the US?

Because many Americans don't have the stomcah or heart to deal with serious issues. They don't want to deal with "icky" things or things that make them feel bad, or feel mortal, so denial is brought into the fold.

Dealth isn't "bad". It's what happens at the end of life.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Suicide is a selfish thing? I think sitting around being a vegetable having your family pay all of your medical bills, and take care of you, since you are unable to do anything yourself is a lot more selfish than going peacefully and letting your friends and family remember you for the good memories they had than all the months you were unable to do anything.

Then again, I do believe it should be the person's own choice, regardless of whether people think we belong to an imaginary guy in the sky.
This ad space for sale.

Great. I don't. And why does the word "selfish" have a negative conotation anyway?

Just because others beliefs say something does not give them the right to force them on me. It was said yesterday the goverment has no business in the bedroom. That's small potatos compared to the goverment having a say in what a person chooses to do with their life.

Majority rules brother. The majority of us believe that euthenasia is wrong. Sorry.

Suicide is a selfish thing? I think sitting around being a vegetable having your family pay all of your medical bills, and take care of you, since you are unable to do anything yourself is a lot more selfish than going peacefully and letting your friends and family remember you for the good memories they had than all the months you were unable to do anything.

Then again, I do believe it should be the person's own choice, regardless of whether people think we belong to an imaginary guy in the sky.

Not everything is about money or percieved perceived inconvenience.

Speling is a impurtant aspekt of efective writen comunicashun! - PhillyKev B|

Majority rules brother. The majority of us believe that euthenasia is wrong. Sorry.

How about this? If I kill myself, it has absolutely no effect on you whatsoever, so why bother?

Oh, that's right, you (not you personally, but the general public) have a moral obligation to save my soul.
This ad space for sale.

I have a cousin that thanks to domestic abuse is paralized from the neck down, is on a ventilator running at between 8-15% and will never have the ability to speak again thanks to the damage done. She is on such a cocktail of meds to fight the infections that she keeps getting, others to control blood pressure, others to control brain stem swelling and other things that shes asked if anything gets worse for someone to help her find a way to end the fight. Her 6 year old son and her 3 year old daughter are not old enough to do anything. They know that their mommy will never be able to talk to them, hug them or leave her hospital bed again. Even the best estimates right now are giving her only 18-24 months due to the neck and brain damage. As shes going right now her insurance carriers have dropped her as soon as her husband was arrested, the family is having to pick up all the cost of the medical care, and no nursing homes will take someone thats on a vent that high. Choices for my family right now is having her parents sell everything to keep her in the hospitial for the next 2 years while the most she can do is mouth words and follow you around the room with her one good eye and place the kids in care of other relatives.

She's mentioned that the burden on her and the family is too high and if everyone agrees she has no hope she wants to end being the burden. She was religious before the abuse and even continutes to be...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Not everything is about money or percieved perceived inconvenience.

Speling is a impurtant aspekt of efective writen comunicashun! - PhillyKev B|

No it's not, but I am offering absolutely nothing to society by being a vegetable. Maybe somebody thinks "Oh wow he fought his pain for so long ... blah blah blah ... but what if I am hating life the whole way through .... I do believe life is sacred, but I'm very active, there's a lot of things I like to do and want to do .... if I was unable to do said things, I would see no purpose of living anymore. If I can't provide anything to anybody else or myself (besides a false sense of hope) there's no purpose left.)
This ad space for sale.