littlestranger

TX Board of Education is wacked

What's wrong with leaving such sensitive issues up to the *parents* to handle in whatever way they feel appropriate?

Thank you.

I am certainly not one of those parents who is going to have the school system, or even planned parenthood, teach my child about sex. That's my job. My son, now 18, got his first sex talk at 5, and every year he learned a little more. I do not shelter my children from the realities of life but choose to shove it in there faces and tell them, now you make your choices. At least they will be educated ones.

My only problem with keeping the schools out of it entirely is the large number of kids who would therefore get little or no education.

I beat the schools to pretty much everything when it came to sex education, too. I embarrassed my poor son terribly (he didn't want to discuss that with his mother). But, ya know, it's possible that I don't know quite everything there is to know, and it's just possible that someone else's approach would give him information in a way that he was more likely to receive it, too.

I'm happy he got whatever sex education he might have received at school. And I'm even happier that I gave him what I could. And I'm happiest that he came out of it with, as far as I can tell, a good understanding of the risks and joys of sexuality.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)