gowlerk

SS gromett removal

Deyan

Looks like a good cable cutter. But how would I use it to remove a grommet? Will the jaws fit inside and then go around the edge maybe?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

PhreeZone

I've seen (but never have done it myself) someone use a dremel to slice it into pieces for removal. It took a long time but it seemed pretty precise with the cutting wheel.

I tried that once. I do not recommend it. The friction from the cutter made enough heat to ruin all the fabric and the stiffener. I had to send the container out for a new flap.

Deyan sent me a PM explaining that you can cut the washer in two places with those cable cutters and then just pull the grommet out. I ordered a pair, they are Felco C7 cutters.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Buy a .99 pair of pliers/cutters from Home Depot. Work slowly to remove a single grommet. Dispose of grommet pieces and destroyed new pair of pliers.

I'm SURE there is a better way, but for the few I do a year that has always worked. :S

I'm interested to see what this thread comes up with.

=========Shaun ==========

Countersink bit works well for #0. You'll need to hold the stud side with channel lock pliers to keep it from spinning.

Alternatively for gommets in general, grind down one jaw of a pair of side-cutters. Make several different sizes. Bigger gets more leverage, smaller gets you inside smaller grommets.

Mark

gowlerk

***I've seen (but never have done it myself) someone use a dremel to slice it into pieces for removal. It took a long time but it seemed pretty precise with the cutting wheel.

I tried that once. I do not recommend it. The friction from the cutter made enough heat to ruin all the fabric and the stiffener. I had to send the container out for a new flap.

Works fine for me. Don't be so aggressive with the Dremel! :P Cut a bit at a time, and give it short breaks to cool down. I need to do that anyway so I can look and see how far through I am - don't want to cut into the flap!
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

gowlerk

It's possible I was using the wrong cutter. It's been a while, I don't remember what I used.

Probably not. Cutting with a Dremel can get pretty hot pretty fast. I can't tell you how many times I've cut off the end of a bolt, then bent down and picked it up and burnt my fingers. You'd think I would learn... Just go slow and give it some breaks to cool down. If it gets too hot to touch, it's time for a break!

Let us know how the Felco's work. I've been eyeballing them for a long time (for cutting cutaway cables) but keep balking at the price. If I can cut SS grommets with them, then I've got two reasons to buy them and might feel a bit better about the cost! :)

I just use regular side-cutters, starting with 2 or 3 radial cuts through the inner wall. As soon as I can lever the blade under the edge, I start peeling it upwards.
Hint: few of us have enough hand muscle to cut stainless steel, so I grip the grommet with pliers, then lean one handle on the workbench and apply 200 pounds pressure to the other handle.

IOW I throw my weight around to cut out grommets.

Yes, eventually that and some screwdriver leverage worked. Vice grips helped after I got the edge bent. Tools with longer handles would be helpful as force multipliers. But I was hoping someone here would have an elegant solution. Deyan's has some promise, so I ordered the tool. I am cheap, but I also like to have good tools.

I use nippers on brass grommets, but I need bigger ones if I hope to bend those stainless ones.

Use a drill bit up to #4's... Drill on side where male portion of the grommet rolls. With or with out spurs-remove the roll, then use needle nose pliers/locking pliers to separate two sides of the grommet. bigger sizes use Dremel (carefully) with water cooling if cutting quickly.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

All the processes I've see and used have been... frustrating, so your post got me looking (again) for more info...

The only thing I found was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfs-Tgc4Vr8
Which shows the dremel removal method (mind the heat build-up).
(yea, its on a sail, but the parts/process is the same)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

>But I was hoping someone here would have an elegant solution.

I use the dremel too and it works great with practically zero physical effort. Yes, you have to be careful not to build up too much heat but I've never had a problem:

Two pizza cut slices into the rolled edges of the grommet then clamp the flap to your work bench without damaging it. (I use woodworkers clamps) Take a 3/8 cold chisel and a small hammer and "lift" the rolled edge where you made your pizza cuts. You can almost use your fingers to finish the job at that point.

And .....Deyan for the win.

I got my Felco C7 today. I tried it out on and was able to cleanly and easily remove a size 0 SS grommet in less than a minute. Just cut the washer in two places and it comes right off. Lever the grommet with a screwdriver from the other side. Like butter.

gowlerk

And .....Deyan for the win.

I got my Felco C7 today. I tried it out on and was able to cleanly and easily remove a size 0 SS grommet in less than a minute. Just cut the washer in two places and it comes right off. Lever the grommet with a screwdriver from the other side. Like butter.

Nice! Thanks for reporting back. That's definitely going on my wish list.

Hi Mark,

grind down one jaw of a pair of side-cutters.

Last year Rob Warner sent me a pair of side-cutters that had been reworked as shown in your photo.

However, they would not go down into an '0' grommet enough to grab the lip of the grommet.

So I had the other side machined away so that I can now easily reach into '0' grommets and remove them.

I am fortunate to have a retired machinist, who has a very nice shop in his garage, living near me for these small jobs that I want done.

Jerry Baumchen

I'm glad you like the C7 solution. What you have to remember is that when you remove 1000+ SS grommets, the tips of the jaw will round up a bit and that will make cutting the washer more difficult. However, most riggers will never end up replacing 1000+ grommets in their life, but it's good to keep that in mind.

Cheers
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen