kyledesch

Vortex recall progress????

Please let me try an understand this:
One goes out and buys a COMPLETE parachute rig from a reputable company called Parachute Systems recommended by some fellow South Africans at quite an expense. End of last year, all rig Vortex II containers were grounded due to a "flawed" ss ring and all containers were recalled. Since January, my container has been with Parachute Systems in Durban with an expected return of 9 months!
In the 9 months, I need to keep my licence valid and myself current for various reasons, one obviously safety. I therefore need to rent a rig or borrow one. Renting a rig costs on average USD27-30/Jump. So, for a period of 9 months to stay current I would need to rent a rig for min 45 Jumps = $1250.
So last week I get a mail from P.S saying they are 2 months behind with the replacement containers and supplied all recalled customers with a $100 gift voucher to spend with them on any equipment! WTF!??? What about the rentals of rigs, having to jump with harnesses that don't fit properly, getting to DZs that dont have the right size canopy to jump with etc etc etc??? Also, the rigger's costs for stripping down the rig, the reserve repack to follow, these are costs that I have to bear...no recall on that from P.S! They also did not answer any mails pertaining to questions surrounding delivery etc in the 9 months I sent them. Last weeks mail is also unanswered!
In my opinion, i find this whole saga pathetic and handled atrociously... Shame on you PARACHUTE SYSTEMS!***

The voucher: What cheek! the voucher is not valid for spare parts . Does anyone really believe that I 'm going to buy a new rig or main for me or for the first rig of my wife????
Should I advise a friend to P.S. ?
Sorry, but the voucher is only a big marketing-bullsxxx
T.G.

Bolt on rings were not an option because the same rings were used for harness articulation. What they could have done is either shut their doors and done nothing or just said sorry for your bad luck and kept on with new orders. They also could have just said it was one ring and everyone else is fine and let people jump gear they weren't 100% sure about. What they did was incur the expense of paying for shipping and rebuilding entirely new rigs at no cost. That takes time. No other company has ever gone to such great lengths.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

But the big problem is the dishonesty.
Long delivery times may be ok if respected.
Every 4 weeks you get a new estimated delivery time?!
If I had known that earlier, I would have bought me a used RIG.
After 9 months (and it is not finished yet!!!!) it would have been even better to buy a new one (in Stock) at March and sell the Vortex when it come back in 2017?!??
All the year 2016 I jumped only with over 20 year old rental-gears (not freeflyfriendly) and had only expenses.
They would also be able to replace rigs staggered, i think

Kiwoz

10 weeks over the estimated delivery! WTF! NO ANSWERS ON MY EMAIL! WTF!!

IM GONNA SELL THIS SHIT AFTER I GOT IT BACK!

The latest estimated delivery time is +11week. The nightmare will not finish my friend. After the 11week there will come another time additional weeks like in the the past. WTF?!

Would you like to elaborate on what caused the delay?

Today I got notification that my rig is shipping so ought to have it on Monday, initial date was July 18th so just over 8 weeks, late so that's in line with what they said. My rig had no change requested.
Fly Your Soul, Free Your Mind!

Rather than start a new thread, I will add another Vortex Service Bulletin to this thread.

Parachute Systems Bulletin 2016-02 says that Sigma pins (part of Skyhook system) might snag under the edge of binding tape on the last reserve flap ..... or normal pin checks might push the pin away from the closing loop.
Fortunately, the solution is fairly easy: ask your local rigger to zig-zag along the edge of the offending binding tape.

Sounds like another case of down-sizing container flaps - too small and too quickly - without considering that some reserve components (e.g. ripcord pins) don't get smaller at the same rate. The long-term solution is a larger flap - or conceal edges (like pre 2,000 Javelins).