Chemtrail

Beginner rig/canopy for a light person with 42 jumps.

My daughter recently took up skydiving this year, as she is quite small and light, 5.4" at 105 lbs with 42 jumps. Most of the rental rigs are way too big. Some look dangerously too big in fact. ( like not being able to tighten the chest and leg straps up properly) So, she is already looking for her own gear. I'm a skydiver myself, though not experienced enough to advise someone just off student status. The harness needs to fit of course, that's clear. My main concern is canopy type and size, wing loading. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

Yes , though it would be nice to get as many disparate opinions as possible, a few more at least than the opinion 2-3 instructors, some who may want to sell on 2nd hand gear for girlfriends or friends. The general consensus is a WL below 1.2. But canopy type? profile, 7 or 9 cell? etc. etc.

Definitely keep wing-loading near 1 pound per square foot.
Keep in mind that wing-loadings become non-linear below 150 square feet because those short lines turn faster. Few junior, small women are confortable loading any canopy more than 1:1.
Wing-loading includes her weight, plus helmet, plus jumpsuit, plus harness, etc. adding another 25 pounds to her suspended weight.

9-cells flare better.
Most modern canopies are slightly tapered .... "mildly elliptical."

Popular 9-cells - for junior jumpers - include: Pilot, Sabre 2, Safire, etc.

I would suggest a Pulse or Silhouette 170 or 150 depending on her comfort level. Both are very docile, but very capable and fun canopies. For a Pilot or Safire 2, I would recommend bumping that up by one size, so a 169/179 for Safire and 168/188 for the Pilot.

RopeaDope

I would suggest a Pulse or Silhouette 170 or 150 depending on her comfort level. Both are very docile, but very capable and fun canopies. For a Pilot or Safire 2, I would recommend bumping that up by one size, so a 169/179 for Safire and 168/188 for the Pilot.

For a girl of her size a 170 would mean wingloading of 0.76 or so, that is less than most people have on student canopy... Depending on her comfort level I would suggest either 150 or 135 9-cell canopy (with respective WL of 0.87 or 0.96 which both are on the extreme low end of recommended WL)....

Blis

***I would suggest a Pulse or Silhouette 170 or 150 depending on her comfort level. Both are very docile, but very capable and fun canopies. For a Pilot or Safire 2, I would recommend bumping that up by one size, so a 169/179 for Safire and 168/188 for the Pilot.

For a girl of her size a 170 would mean wingloading of 0.76 or so, that is less than most people have on student canopy... Depending on her comfort level I would suggest either 150 or 135 9-cell canopy (with respective WL of 0.87 or 0.96 which both are on the extreme low end of recommended WL)....

Bad advice. It's NOT only wing loading. No matter what the wing loading anything smaller than a 170 is a high performance canopy. With the shorter lines the moment of the pendilum is shorter and the pendulum swings faster. This means the canopy is reacts faster and is not suitable for a low time jumper. I've watched a lot of newbies get canopy recommendations based only on wing loading and get hurt.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Blis

***I would suggest a Pulse or Silhouette 170 or 150 depending on her comfort level. Both are very docile, but very capable and fun canopies. For a Pilot or Safire 2, I would recommend bumping that up by one size, so a 169/179 for Safire and 168/188 for the Pilot.

For a girl of her size a 170 would mean wingloading of 0.76 or so, that is less than most people have on student canopy... Depending on her comfort level I would suggest either 150 or 135 9-cell canopy (with respective WL of 0.87 or 0.96 which both are on the extreme low end of recommended WL)....BOLLOCKS BOLLOCKS BOLLOCKS OP DON'T LISTEN TO THIS

Petite people with shorter torsos are stuck with a double whammy. They will fall more slowly than most average jumpers, then are forced to wear a container that is wider and longer than their torso, which creates even more drag slowing them down. Since the container is longer than their torso, when they try to arch for speed, the container slides down over their bum, making that deep arch harder to do.

Some manufacturers make a container specific for this issue. VSE makes the Infinity in the Short/Narrow (SN) variant. The rig is both more narrow and shorter than the standard cut container. The container is thicker front to back to make up for the pack volume. If the plan is to get her a new, well fitting container, take a look at this sizing chart. The consideration would be the largest reserves that fit in the I-2 SN containers are the low bulk Optimum 143 and the new low bulk Smart reserve in about the same size. Contact Kelly and crew, they will be happy to help you out.

Regarding canopies, there are some canopies that are made in a low bulk fabric that will allow for a smaller container. PD makes the Pulse. Aerodyne has their low bulk ZPX fabric. One word of caution. The Aerodyne canopies are nice with a strong flare deeeeep in the toggle stroke. For people with shorter arms, they might not be able to reach down far enough to get that power. Before buying any canopy, do your best to get a demo and try it out.

p.s.---I am not an Infinity dealer, just love their container and fabulous customer service.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Chemtrail

Yes , though it would be nice to get as many disparate opinions as possible, a few more at least than the opinion 2-3 instructors, some who may want to sell on 2nd hand gear for girlfriends or friends. The general consensus is a WL below 1.2. But canopy type? profile, 7 or 9 cell? etc. etc.

There are too many variables to find the answer in a forum. You need to get a local experienced jumper that you trust, and when you find a rig whose harness size seems like it will fit her, send the details of the rig and canopies to this trusted jumper for opinions of the suitability for her.

If you can't find a local jumper, then expand your search. It has to be a person that cares about her finding a proper rig, but that who does not stand to gain by the sale of any particular rig or brand.

In recent years I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the small people that I have seen get rigs that were good for them. There are more people skydiving now that are small. You just need to catch them when they are selling a rig.

Blis

And the lower wing loading would be fine.

Those smaller canopies, even below 1:1, aren't appropriate for a new jumper. They are still more responsive, and turn faster, which can someone in trouble when they get let their brain lag behind the canopy flight.

Would you rather a newbie land a 170 in a small back yard while freaked out about their first landing, or a 135?

She might be ready for a 150 given the lower loading in 100+ jumps depending on how she performs and takes to canopy flight, but she definitely isn't ready for the 135 now.

Any canopy choice is fine until it bites you in the ass, right?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P