PhillyKev

What's your local "voter fraud" story?

So, in Philly the GOP poll watchers went ballistic this morning claiming that the voting machines already had votes registered on them when the polls opened.

It took a little time, and talking very slowly to them by the city's DA until they finally understood that they were looking at the machine counters that show the total number of uses ever since they were manufactured. :S

Our machines where delivered late so people that arrived for the morning before-work rush had to fill out paper ballots, but that's hardly voter fraud.

I did notice one guy that kept running back and forth from him casting his ballot to his wife/girl friend telling her what votes to cast for what, but again, that's not exactly fraud.

And . . . we have some older folks in my neighborhood that were simply baffled by the concept of the machines even though we've been using them for over a year now.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What's your local "voter fraud" story?

You guys are getting your excuses together already?

Oh, and you're wrong about your story. That is not the conclusion they have come to. They are still looking into it.

Officials can't explain why machines used in other locations had "0" on it. This debunks PKs claim.

Forty-two

This isn't fraud necessarily but it's still messed up. I went to the address listed on my voter registration card and it led me to an old abandoned education administration building. All the doors were locked, no lights on inside, there was a "for sale" sign in the front, and I was the only one standing in the parking lot (crickets chirping ;)). I walked over to the mailbox twice to make sure I was at the correct address. I was. I went to a service station to ask directions. The guy told me, "Oh yeah, that's where it used to be last year." He said to go to a place further down the road and on a completely different street than what was listed on my card. Completely different address. Most people around here know each other and I guess the word gets around. Maybe that's just built into the system. I don't know. I haven't lived here that long but that's beside the point. I guess that was why I was the only one in that deserted parking lot. Anyway, my guess is that, if you were someone not inquisitive or persistent enough to ask about the unpublished change in polling station address, you might just give up and not vote. That could make a difference. Who knows. During my last three changes in residence, I've continually moved to smaller towns (Birmingham, AL, Augusta, GA, and now LaGrange, GA). I guess I'd just better get used to the "Mayberry" way of doing things. :S

So, in Philly the GOP poll watchers went ballistic this morning claiming that the voting machines already had votes registered on them when the polls opened.

You guys are getting your excuses together already?

Did you notice it was the GOP poll watchers getting this excuse together?

Officials can't explain why machines used in other locations had "0" on it. This debunks PKs claim.

It doesn't debunk PK's claim without some reference to how many times the machines with "0" on them had been used. It'd be perfectly reasonable for them to read 0 if they were new machines.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I've had that happen too. The local paper publishes all of the polling places by precinct number the Sunday before the election. But, well, here in Texas at least, the polling place isn't listed on the card -- probably because it's such an expense to replace everyone's card if you change a polling place.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The machines in other locations that were used previously had "0" on them.

Just saw another report saying that they think those numbers may have been leftover votes from other prior elections.

I can see it's going to be a long night with all these conspiracy voter fraud stories.

Forty-two

While I haven't seen it in print yet, I saw on the local news channel a story about the Philli machines, and a least one of the workers says that it was NOT the total vote counter (which is like an odomiter), but the digital one that counts votes in this session... if true, that would debunk PK's claim, at least in that case... Edit to add... if its fraud or error is not clear, but I would not be surprised if it ends up in court...

As for my experiance, its not fraud, but complete disorganization in the polling place resulting in lines so long on one side of the room that access codes expired while the machines on the other side of the room sat unused... the head of the polling place had no clue what was going on, nor did her workers... Dems, Reps, Libs, and all others there were united in their disgust with the situation. I got out of there in about an hour and a half, and about 40 mins. late for work... I guess being the boss has its advantages.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

A) It's not an excuse on my part. I used the quotes to indicate I was being tongue-in-cheek and that there wasn't any fault.

B) The excuses are being prepared by the GOP. Philadelphia is very very heavily democrat. They're probably going to try and claim that Philly padded the Dem votes for PA.

C) What claim did I make that was debunked. The only thing I claimed is that the DA for the city told them why they didn't read 0. Did you somehow debunk my claim that she said that?

Oh, and D) Your info that you're claiming apparently comes from Drudge, that most credible of news sources.

"Ed Kirlin, a volunteer with the Democratic Party, said whoever had given the information to Drudge looked at the wrong numbers on the voting machines.

"I think it's an attempt at misinformation," said Kirlin. "They didn't go to any party officials. They went right to the Drudge Report."

Edward V. Schulgen, deputy city commissioner, also confirmed that reports of machines with fraudulent starting counts were groundless.

Schulgen said all machines in the city's 1,681 polling places had generated, before polls opened, a printout reflecting the fact that each machine was set at zero. He said each was signed by an election worker."

Another....

In a potentially more serious incident, Abookire said, a person described as a Green Party worker entered a polling place in Queen Village and touched a tape on the back of a voting machine that records votes and then ran away. She said the machine was rendered unusable, but it was unclear whether the votes cast on the machine were wiped out or retained. Abookire said police were searching for the person who vandalized the machine.

I think you're interpretation and guesses are hysterical and sad. I'm not posting any excuses, I just find election shenanigans fascinating.

in fact, judging by the insane turnout I'm going to go on record and make you happy and say that Kerry will win hands down, indisputably, and that Bush will concede this evening.

> I think it is hystercial and extremely sad at the same time the Libs
>are already posting excuses.

I have no doubt that, in a close state that goes for Kerry, your story will change to:

"It's sad that Libs think they can get away with this sort of criminal voter-fraud activity."

My voter-fraud story:

My foot was attacked by a pro-Kerry kitten who seemed irate that I was voting for Badnarik. After I berated it for interfering with the electoral process it retreated to the garden. (My polling place was someone's garage.)

If only all polling places in the US had no more serious problems than errant cats and heavy traffic . . .