grue

Bit of a layoff + new canopy. Quick question...

I've been doing minimal jumping over the last few months whilst I've been waiting for my new canopy (Precision Aero Fusion 190, tapered zp 9, if you don't know it. Flies similar to a Sabre2 or Safire 2).

It's due to arrive Monday, which is of course very exciting, but I have a question.

Would you, as a person in a similar hypothetical situation, rather jump on an 80° day with a light breeze (3mph or so), or a 95° day with a stiffer breeze (13mph or so). For my metric brothers, 27° and 5km/h, or 33° and 21km/h

So which would you pick, and why?

Addendum: I'm probably close to 15 lbs lighter than I was on the old 210 (same model), so this really shouldn't be THAT much of a change really. I could land that one upwind, downwind, crosswind, rear risers, whatever. It's just that it was six months ago :D
cavete terrae.

I'd jump it in the lower wind preferrably, because I feel more comfortable with lower wind. If the wind is quite strong I'll first check how the others fly and decide if go/no-go
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I'd jump it in the lower wind preferrably, because I feel more comfortable with lower wind. If the wind is quite strong I'll first check how the others fly and decide if go/no-go

Hm, I guess this is more complicated than I thought, I didn't take into account that some people's DZs are windier than others. I'm used to a windy dropzone, so a 3mph wind to me seems realllly low :D

I guess I'll have to see what the weather forecasts are saying when I actually have the canopy in hand, and make the call then.
cavete terrae.

don't forget it's easier to put a canopy on risers with 3mph wind than in 15mph :D

:D:D

Damned good point! My rig is at the DZ, I took it up there a couple weeks ago for a repack + Cypres install, I didn't realise I left the risers and toggles i nthe damned rig until I got home. Otherwise I'd put the bag + risers on when the canopy gets here, and just hook it up and go jump. Now I've gotta blow a bit of time assembling everything when I get there.
cavete terrae.

I really don't pay the wind much attention unless it is really gusty or bumpy. Just be sure and do several practice flares up high and think of how it feels like it is responding and then be sure and leave room to overshoot your target.

I hope you enjoy the new toy.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

I've been doing minimal jumping over the last few months whilst I've been waiting for my new canopy (Precision Aero Fusion 190, tapered zp 9, if you don't know it. Flies similar to a Sabre2 or Safire 2).

Oh NO, you'll probably forget to pull too!.......

Shit, just go jump. You'll probably wont even notice a difference.......:S

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

1. Go to Nagambie

2. Find the CI, Luke Oliver

3. Explain your concerns, and listen to his advice

4. Go and enjoy your jumps

Luke is very very good at what he does, and his advice has always struck me as sensible. He's also written a thesis on teaching canopy control, so its a subject he's given considerable thought to.

Hey Grue, im a Naggas jumper too.. have we met?

I second that from bob.dino.. i just completed conversions with Luke going from chest mounted ripcord flying a 240 - to BOC 190 and he and the other staff at Naggas were great in terms of discussion of canopy piloting.

Ill be moving to my Safire2 169 once i am happy with my landings, exciting stuff isnt it!

Turned out to be a non issue!

Got canopy yesterday, went to the DZ this morning. Put it on the risers and hooked everything up. Packed it, then sat around for about six hours waiting for the right conditions.

Jumped from 9.5, 17 second delay (according to protrack), played around with the canopy, stood up the landing.

Felt just like the 210 did, just snappier

B|
cavete terrae.

Hey Grue, im a Naggas jumper too.. have we met?

I second that from bob.dino.. i just completed conversions with Luke going from chest mounted ripcord flying a 240 - to BOC 190 and he and the other staff at Naggas were great in terms of discussion of canopy piloting.

Ill be moving to my Safire2 169 once i am happy with my landings, exciting stuff isnt it!

I don't believe we've met, but today was only my second time at the DZ (I just moved here). I'll be there Saturday though!
cavete terrae.

Someone asked me if I was Canadian yesterday :|

you say that as if its a bad thing? I believe it was a compliment B|.

I kinda take it as one these days. It's more socially acceptable to be Canadian outside of the US. Plus it tends to mean "Hey, you're not a total twat!" :D
cavete terrae.

Someone asked me if I was Canadian yesterday :|

you say that as if its a bad thing? I believe it was a compliment B|.

I kinda take it as one these days. It's more socially acceptable to be Canadian outside of the US. Plus it tends to mean "Hey, you're not a total twat!" :D

:D:D:D:DEven if you are:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?