metalslug

What stops you from being a killer ?

The very emphasis of the commandment: Thou shalt not kill, makes it certain that we are descended from an endlessly long chain of generations of murderers, whose love of murder was in their blood as it is perhaps also in ours.

- Sigmund Freud

I agree with this quote. It's somewhere in all of us.

Would my conscience allow me to kill someone? I do not know. I hope to never find out. I do not believe myself to be what Col Grossman calls, the "natural sociopath."

I have too much to lose, and ultimately the consequences of such an act were not worth it. I couldn't get away with it. It's tough to do when I've already raised my hand 3 separate times to support and defend the laws...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

"We are mad, not only individually, but nationally. We check manslaughter and isolated murders; but what of war and the much vaunted crime of slaughtering whole peoples?"
- Lucius Seneca

Not an entirely valid comparisson in my view.
In war, the aggressor nation very often has conscription, people forced to serve the army or face jail time or worse punishments. Once enlisted, some guy you dont know (superior officer) sends you to kill some other guy you dont know (the enemy) and threatens you with all kinds of punishments and penalties if you refuse the order. Not quite the same as a "contract hit" or "neighborhood driveby".
In war, the defending nation is often much the same, although they also fight to preserve the government and way of life that has allowed their family to prosper.

-
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.

Known as Seneca The Elder, he was talking about how Rome was sending troops into outlying areas and slaughtering the indigenous people. The leaders were then hailed as heroes on their return.
The Romans were on the offensive and the purpose was wealth. You could kill for money and return a wealthy person.