FrancoR

Source for trimable risers wanted

Hello,
i am looking for a source that makes trimable risers. The intention is to give the canopy more speed and descend without having to use front risers all the time, i would like to keep a higher descent rate on my canopy because it tends to be to be shallow for mountain swooping.
I have uses something simmilar in Paragliding but haven't seen it for skydiving canopies, but i know they are available.

Any hints?
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

Recommend having your rigger make them for you. Most common ones I've seen use 1" flat weave and a cam buckle on each riser. Competent rigger with a bar tack machine can modify a set in a couple minutes. I also made a set by finger trapping 1000lb dacron into itself with a pull tab. Basically it's a drawstring that cinches around itself. you need a release, I used a pair of pelican hooks. The bronze pelican hook from RSL lanyards isn't strong enough, get the SS ones that are larger (order from Wichard or West Marine). you can put a ring in the slink at the top of the riser to hook the pelican into.

Another option is to get a set of military surplus risers that have trims built in (MC4/5, etc.) Issues there are the risers will be type 8, have large 3 ring assemblies and will be extremely long. If nothing else you could use the cam buckles and get a pattern for how to modify your normal risers.

Lastly-whatever system you go with-be careful. Smaller crossbraced wings don't like trim tabs, in my experience. Any turbulence is made worse with trims in. Expect to fly with rears and harness as your toggles' effectiveness is reduced. Release them early, be prepared for failures to lead to malfunctions. There are several videos online showing early XRW pilots having issues with them. Most XRW pilots have gone to different planforms/loadings to avoid using trim tabs. I personally wouldn't want to be messing with them low to the ground in the manner you're describing.

Good luck!

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

Old-skool method, which I used to film rotations during crw: add an extra set of french links to your back risers. Disclaimer: probably a bad idea on a regular sports/swooping canopy.
And probably only works if you use french links in the first place. For my Lightning I added a pair of fairly big links, landings actually didn't worsen, if I remember correctly. Anyway I liked this method: it saved me from having to wear even more lead, downsizing to a size I wasn't comfy with (I liked my L126) and saved my arms from having to work my front risers too much for 12k ft...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

be very careful and you may want to experiment with something more like a speed bar that you can activate and deactivate. Not all but most skydiving canopies, if you give front riser and toggle input, the parachute will frontal and eat itself... would be super awesome while coming into landing and get some turbulence... front risers make paracutes less stable and more susceptible to ustable air.

Trimmers in the 80's worked ok, but they were also on huge f111 docile canopies. Paragliders and speed wings use tirmmers that adjust all the line groups individually and proportionally. youll be pulling down your a's and b's while leaving the c's and d's. This severly distorts the shape of the wing and may or may not have nasty habits. ever seen someone with short brake lines pull on their fronts and their canopy bucks and shakes and folds tips under. youre basically doing that as soon as you give any brake input. It moves the center of lift back and once it goes far enough back to unload your front line groups, youre in for a fun ride...

If you want to go faster, fucking downsize. or make damn sure to disengage your trimmers before landing. youll need something you can engage after opening as well since youre going to shift the whole way it packs and opens as well. I dont know what you fly now, but demo something smaller or something thats already trimmed faster.

that being said, something like a nitro with a continuous non cascaded line set, you could build a quad riser system to trim the individual parts separately but equally. But anything cascaded this is not an option....
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Alexg3265

that being said, something like a nitro with a continuous non cascaded line set, you could build a quad riser system to trim the individual parts separately but equally. But anything cascaded this is not an option....

How does "separately but equally" work here? If you trim both fronts and backs "separately but equally" that's the same as having shorter lines. The canopy might be a bit more responsive, but the trim won't change a bit.

And why are the cascades important? You are trimming at the risers, you can't adjust individual lines.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the answers, looks like nothing can really be bought of the shelf and just work flawles and safe. Cam buckles seem rather unreliable never liked them on paragliders.
Speedbar sounds like a good and rather safe possible solution. I will put some more thought into this.
Thanks
If it does not cost anything you are the product.