darrenspooner

Turning prescription glasses into goggles

At almost 51 I have reached the inevitable position of needing to wear my glasses under my goggles. Does anyone have any advice about how to use some very nice oakley wrap-around prescription glasses instead of goggles? Do I need to put a foam rim around them , do they need any holes for vents etc?

Short-term attach a strap that wraps around the back of your head. Wind will make you cry a lot, but you will be able to focus on your target.

Second step is to ask your optometrist about prescription goggles for sports.

You may be able to convince him to install prescription lenses in motorcycle or military goggles.

I'm not sure about actual goggles, but long ago I purchased a pair of Gatorz with prescription lenses. Also have a pair of Oakley's for golf. Wrap-a-round sunglasses work for many people, and perhaps easier and less expensive to do. Just an option.

I have been using liquid eyewear for the last 5 years. They have a prescription insert that already has foam on it to keep the wind out. I've used them for belly and freeflying and have never had any issues. They are made of one piece of aluminium and they come in a wide variety of colors. You should definitely try a pair.

Swanee

I have used www.sportrx.com successfully

Like Swanee says SprtRx are very good.
As to Goggles or wrap glasses that will entirely depend on the strength of your script.
Mine is 2 steps down from a dog and white cane, so getting wrap specs is VERY difficult.
Goggles are easier but far less versatile.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If you condition is Presbyopia(http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/presbyopia?sso=y like I have, I have found that wearing corrective lenses while jumping creates and unsafe condition on landing as the magnification creates a blurred condition. I normally wear trifocals and it has been a challenge learning to land airplanes,helicopters and canopy's while wearing them. It requires a lot of head movement and tilting to keep out of the close up and intermediate correction portion of the lens. I got a pair of these http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safety-glasses-with-rx-inserts.html?search_query=&page=3&limit=16&sort=alphaasc&category=1458&is_category_page=1 with just the top two corrections (intermediate and distance) but only use them when I'm taking videos so I can see the setting on the camera in the plane. For regular skydives I find that if I take my glasses off 30 minutes prior to the jump my eyes adjust and it works out fine. I do have problems seeing an analog altimeter but I can see a Neptune just fine. I do wear them on my motorcycle and they offer fairly good wind protection on the bike and in freefall without any foam edging.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.