Gary73

Wrinkled Reserves

I sometimes get reserves for inspect and repack that have been crammed into the bag/container so crudely that the entire canopy is severely wrinkled, making it impossible to pack neatly, thus continuing the cycle. I’ve had a little luck with hanging the canopies from a canopy rack overnight, but is there a better method available? Thanks!

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Hi Gary,

i have seen a few canopy's like you described. i hang the canopy of for inspection but i have a big rigging loft so i can open the canopy up fully. also i find giving the canopy a good flake and shake out should help to ease some of the wrinkles out of it.
that is the only things that i do.

Rodger

i get those all the time.... i also have a full loft at home and i hang it up, overnight if need be... if its bad, ill turn off the dehumidfier, leave the door open and let the humidity creep up and it smooths out oh so nicely with some smoothing and shaking... I live in florida with plenty of humidity to spare.... So anywhere else, buy a humidifier and crank that bitch up and let the canopy hang for a while then hand smooth it....
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Gary73

I sometimes get reserves for inspect and repack that have been crammed into the bag/container so crudely that the entire canopy is severely wrinkled, making it impossible to pack neatly, thus continuing the cycle. I’ve had a little luck with hanging the canopies from a canopy rack overnight, but is there a better method available? Thanks!

I learned a fantastic method from Greg Rau at UPT

this may be easier for the FOG's ;)

lay the canopy on its side.as if going to pack the reserve.

make a fold half way between the A & B lines so the lines sit on top and you have fold out side.

Repeat this step with the D's onto the C's

Lay the control lines on top of C's/D's.

Make one further fold of the C/D side onto the A/B side.

Roll up and lay into the reserve tray for 24 hours.

it comes out lovely
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Same problem. What I've typically done (depending on the patience and time available) I'll fold/flake it as best I can and then lay a folded up carpet on it (prior to narrowing/S-folding) with weights on top of that and let it sit overnight. I call it the 'iron' and it does help a bit. But the whole side pack and rolling method....I like that idea.
my pics & stuff!

Humidity helps. If it's really dry, like in winter, I'm not opposed to spritzing it with a spray bottle of clean water. Lay it down on it's side and try to get all the wrinkles out so it's laying as flat as possible and leave it that way over night. Or pack it to a... long fold. The point before you start to narrow and fold it. At that point you can drag out any big heavy books or manuals you have and press it. My old Bachman books worked great for this. Leave it over night. Ultimately one or two really nice clean repacks will generally retrain the canopy and fix the problem. That's why I always like to follow my own pack jobs. At one point we talked about charging an extra fee to follow pack jobs from out side the loft. I guess we would have phrased it as a discount for return customers, but you get the point.

I have seen a couple of canopies that seemed to be damaged permanently. I don't know what it was. They may have been stored in the hot trunk of a car in Texas. But the wrinkles were terrible. The pack volume must have gone up by 15% or more. It was a tight rig to begun with. After that we just couldn't pack it. She had to buy a new reserve.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com