scottbre

Arguments for (or against) the existence of God

not hardly. In this instance you are far to tied to the 'charlton heston' personification vision of God the Christians accept.... there are certainly a great many more concepts of God than this and a great many people who believe them. Dont pigeon hole anyones belief or the nature of the question they might be asking you by defining it in such narrow concepts, that is part of the problem many people have with 'God' in the first place.. they cant accept one idea (the one forced apon them by the institutions they were raised in) and havent yet broken themselves out of that narrow concept to explore any other....

Well, I'm asking you, if you think "God" is kittens and lambs and birds and streams and flowers and mountains and smiles and children's laughter, then how did THOSE things make creation?

And by the way, President Heston did not play God, he played Moses. :P

God is all of those things and a great deal more... if i truly understood the process of creation i would BE God, but i'm not, i'm simply walking my way towards it..

you'd be suprised the number of people who think heston IS God... most of them belong to the NRA. ;)

What? Why have I not seen this thread? No way am I going to go though it and read any of the useless arguments in it. I already have the definitive answer.

Of course she exists, I made her up myself.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

jakee

"Things happening" is an argument for the existence of God?

Being protected when things happen is an argument for the existence of God.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

***"Things happening" is an argument for the existence of God?

So why did the thing happen in the first place?

And, given that good people die in traffic every day, what makes you so special? What makes you think that God cares about protecting you when he doesn't care about protecting other, nicer people? Why isn't it just coincidence?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

gowlerk

What? Why have I not seen this thread?

Excuse me for resurrecting it. I thought the video was kind of interesting - so given the title, I did a search for "imaginary friend" and beowulf's post was the first one on the list.

I suppose the yelawolf/beowulf thing enticed me to post the video.

Also, I don't necessarily share the religious views of those guys in the video, but I know of a lot of shady characters that do - no pun intended.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

RonD1120

Sooo - all those soldiers that die in the name of God - they are protected.

All the innocents that de every day - they are protected.

Or is it just a hypocritical view to make you and yours feel better and cope with reality.

If XXX died in a car wreck tomorrow - is that gods will? Or what about if he narrowly escaped death and was only mamed beyond recognition and will live in pain as long as he does live - is that gods will or his protection?

If God is so powerful why don't humans live longer?

Kinda looks like a flawed system . . . Doesn't it? Logically? Seems funny that Man can prolong life better than God has been able to.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

RonD1120

The FSM is indeed loving, even touching non believers like Ron with his noodly appendage.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My wife and I returned home from Hawaii today. Got through TSA with no hassle. The planes were all on time, my luggage arrived safely, and we didn't die or even get injured. Absolute proof of the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

jakee

It was a public holiday today with bright sunshine but I woke up with a slight muscle strain in my back and therefore couldn't go jumping or mountain biking.

Hail Satan!

Someone came into the building that I am building, and left me an X box.

God is good! God is Great! Love Allah!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

jakee

It was a public holiday today with bright sunshine but I woke up with a slight muscle strain in my back and therefore couldn't go jumping or mountain biking.

Hail Satan!

I got stopped at a red light yesterday. Satan hates me.

Coreeece

***"God is an imaginary friend for grownups"

From Yelawolf to beowulf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it_04dk_97E

Were you just bored? Is that why you dragged up this old post to comment on?

Religion is probably the oldest scam around. Making promises that are only realized once you are dead and you can't call bullshit on, well because you are dead. I understand believing makes you feel good but that in no way validates the belief. I hope that one day you will face your fears and realize that your belief in God is nothing but lie that was fed to you all your life.

No matter how good or well thought out an argument for something is... if there is no evidence that can be independently and scientifically tested there is no reason to believe and it is worthless. That's why the independent confirmation of scientific claims are so important. With out them they are meaningless and can not be taken seriously. Religion makes claims about the real world that can not be confirmed in any way. So there is no good reason to take their claims seriously. All of the burden of proof is on the one making the claim. In this case the burden of proof is on those claiming God exists.

This thread has been going on for quite awhile.

If anyone is interested, there's a great series of videos on YouTube by the Crash Course folks which can take you step by step through some of the great philosopher's thoughts regarding god and his existence (or lack thereof).

Considering how much time some people have spent in this thread voicing their own opinions, it might be worth looking into what some other people have said over the centuries.

https://youtu.be/1A_CAkYt3GY?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtNgK6MZucdYldNkMybYIHKR
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Jesus the Christ does not reach the really, really smart and superiorly courageous people. He is there to save those in deep trouble. Those are the ones that are blind, sick and held captive in bondage. Obviously that is me but not you.

You and many, many others here can't scientifically understand the spiritual realm. You can't even see it. However, I and few others here, can. Without a doubt, there is no logic in that.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

1 - Argument for: I choose to believe
2 - Argument against: I choose to not believe
3 - Alternative: Don't know, don't care

that's pretty much it - pretty much the definition of faith in the first 2
Anything expanding upon those two is really just a ton of self validating rationalization and kind of tangent to the entire concept we've defined for ourselves.

nothing wrong with either position - I'm fond of the 3rd

Lots of stuff wrong with how some people have 'taken advantage of others that chose either position', but that's a whole 'nother subject we could apply to any other power structure in societies past and present.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Jesus the Christ does not reach the really, really smart and superiorly courageous people. He is there to save those in deep trouble. Those are the ones that are blind, sick and held captive in bondage. Obviously that is me but not you.

He is a bit of a sick fuck then. Normally we call those people sadists.

If he was truly that concerned about ending suffering, he would ensure they didn't suffer to begin with.

If I were to cause you great suffering and then slowly worked on ending your suffering, I doubt you would see that as a positive.

rehmwa

4 - Don't believe by default, because there's no reason to even consider the possibility

Before today, have you ever deliberately chosen not to believe in fuzzy purple flying elephants that shoot piranha out of their trunks during cold weather?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

rehmwa

that's pretty much it - pretty much the definition of faith in the first 2
Anything expanding upon those two is really just a ton of self validating rationalization and kind of tangent to the entire concept we've defined for ourselves.

nothing wrong with either position - I'm fond of the 3rd

Lots of stuff wrong with how some people have 'taken advantage of others that chose either position', but that's a whole 'nother subject we could apply to any other power structure in societies past and present.

You have the second option entirely wrong. The second option is there isn't sufficient evidence to support the argument. Has nothing to do with choosing to believe or not. The third is simply the lazy way out.