scottbre

Arguments for (or against) the existence of God

Coreeece

See, this is part of that emerging stigma that's being placed on Christianity. You dismiss any positive affect that Christianity may have on society and ignore the billions of dollars in charitable events that Christians undertake around the world every year. Instead you focus on anti-homosexuality, while your colleagues around the internet focus on and how christians are hateful, uneducated bigots with sloped foreheads, lol. . .

I mean seriously, who on the fence wants to be associated with that, even if in the end, they can't help but to identify with the virtue of Christianity?

We're creating an environment that is essentially pushing Christianity back down to it's "underground roots." We see this especially in the scientific field, where scientists feel compelled to hide their religious views out of fear of being ridiculed or losing credibility - and in some cases - maybe even losing their job.

Now I know some people see this as a good thing - that if we can overcome religion, it will be for the betterment of society - but often these are the same people talking about tolerance, compromise, and creating an environment where people can make their own decision rather than being forced into the group that's viewed more favorably.

It shows that these people really aren't about tolerance and compromise, but rather pushing their agenda under the guise of tolerance and compromise.

Let's start with the fact that religion is, by definition, a transmissible form of mental illness, and some strains are more virulent than others - many are quite lethal.

The susceptibility to said pathology does not go away once one is cleared of one variety of infection or another. Fundamental resistance is moderately rare.

The "underground roots" of Christianity were a movement specific to a particular tribe, and not at all for universal consumption. Once co-opted by Europeans (who engaged in the irony of using the means by which they executed the person they supposedly 'followed' as the symbol of their newly crafted 'faith'), they institutionalized the religion in a form that was/is unrecognizable by comparison to the original movement.

As to the question of whether or not 'God' exists, it may be demonstrated that there are many thousands of gods, each of which has an identical claim to existence.

There are various religions that have much more to offer than does Christianity. This, this, this and this are prime examples.

As Brother Mick Jagger so aptly put it, "fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

^This. A thousands times over and over.
:)
I laugh every time I see a christian say god does everything, until it's something they don't like, then that good old devil dude shows up.
Make up your minds, is your god all powerful and in control of everything or isn't he?
Stop all this praying nonsense in an effort to change gods will, maybe then he'd stop being so god damned mean and cruel.
But he won't, because there is no he.

normiss

It's probably just me, but "pink unicorn" sounds sexual. Or it should.
B|

she has to say it really slow and look you in the eye

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

normiss

^This. A thousands times over and over.
:)
I laugh every time I see a christian say god does everything, until it's something they don't like, then that good old devil dude shows up.
Make up your minds, is your god all powerful and in control of everything or isn't he?
Stop all this praying nonsense in an effort to change gods will, maybe then he'd stop being so god damned mean and cruel.
But he won't, because there is no he.

Allah is actually a transgendered God.
And she is the same God as the Christian and Jewish God.

ETA:
And since Man was and is the dominant power of the Human Race - and man likes keeping that power, God is written and taught to be male.

If women were the ruling sex, or even an equal in the sexes, God would more likely be female, simply because females are instinctually more kind and compassionate.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

And since Man was and is the dominant power of the Human Race - and man likes keeping that power, God is written and taught to be male.

My personal God is female. God actually is not in need of a gender because She is all things. But I consider Her a woman because I love the idea of fucking God.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

My personal God is female. God actually is not in need of a gender because She is all things. But I consider Her a woman because I love the idea of fucking God.

Your God is flesh lite?:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>You're comparing apples and temperatures.

EXACTLY! Comparing love to science (or religion to science) and saying that you can't have one with the other, is comparing apples and temperatures. It would be foolish to say "it's hot; therefore there can't be any apples here" just as it is foolish to say "that scientist believes in God; therefore she can't be a scientist."

grimmie

Satan is the spiritual power causing the maladies. He hates a dedicated saint and will do anything to stop their work. Haiti is the principle western country practicing Vodou.

So god isn't more powerful than satan?

Got it..

Satan is a powerful symbol. As a symbol he is at least as powerful as God. People like Ron need both. It's not enough for him to hate other people, he needs a deeper enemy to feed his soul.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

>If all the posters here in the SC were gathered in one arena and Coreeece and I et.al
>walked in and verbally expressed our faith, what do you think the outcome would be?

Mark would disagree. Winsor would tsk tsk. Then someone would yell "Boobies!" Then Wendy would pretend to flash someone. Cheers would erupt. Then GTA would ask her "is this the first time you've been in an imaginary arena?" and Turtle would yell "BEER!" Beer would be distributed to everyone (I am sure someone would get you a soda) and plans would be made to toilet-paper the Incidents forum.

jcd11235

***In science there simply is no room for compromise.

Exactly.

Religion is about embracing faith. Science is about rejecting faith and applying logic and reason.

On cannot be a good religious person and a good scientist.

Completely disagree. I am not Christian, but if I were, I would likely believe that God commanded us to be good stewards of the earth. How would that be incompatible with my work as an environmental scientist?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

livendive

******In science there simply is no room for compromise.

Exactly.

Religion is about embracing faith. Science is about rejecting faith and applying logic and reason.

On cannot be a good religious person and a good scientist.

Completely disagree. I am not Christian, but if I were, I would likely believe that God commanded us to be good stewards of the earth. How would that be incompatible with my work as an environmental scientist?

Blues,
Dave

One thing is that you would have to dismiss the writings in the book at the base of your religion. You would have to accept that "man" has only been here for about 6K years.

Sooo . . . There is that.

I'd say that if you can't accept a large portion of a book written as the voice of God told some men to write it (and then edited by a select few), with HIM being an infallible God and all, you can't trust the rest.

billvon

>You're comparing apples and temperatures.

EXACTLY! Comparing love to science (or religion to science) and saying that you can't have one with the other, is comparing apples and temperatures.

Faith != Love

billvon

it is foolish to say "that scientist believes in God; therefore she can't be a scientist."

Incorrect, because faith and evidence based conclusions are at opposite ends of the same continuum. They are not orthogonal.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

livendive

I am not Christian, but if I were, I would likely believe that God commanded us to be good stewards of the earth. How would that be incompatible with my work as an environmental scientist?

If you truly believed in the existence of a supreme being, wholly without evidence of such existence, you wouldn't be much of a scientist.

billvon

Science != lack of faith

scientific method => rejection of faith

billvon

So a scientist with faith in his son by definition must be a lousy scientist?

Now you're switching up definitions of faith. Have a strong desire for one's son to be successful at some pursuit or activity is not equivalent to having faith that a supreme being exists.

billvon

>Faith != Love

Science != lack of faith

>Incorrect, because faith and evidence based conclusions are at opposite ends of
>the same continuum.

So a scientist with faith in his son by definition must be a lousy scientist?

I would think that to be "hope" and "pride". Both can be, and likely are, self-serving.
(One being a deadly sin.:P)

If he used the scientific method to determine the most likely outcome, it wouldn't be faith.