tankervinnie

Dive loops lay flat

So I have been slowly increasing my landing speed and I am now at the point where I am surging my canopy before taking hold of my dive loops and adding rotation. Well, when reaching for my fronts I am having a hard time getting my fingers inside the loops because they lay flat against the riser (stock Javelin riders). I read a few posts on a similar thread that was much older but the photo hosting sites no longer show the pictures of the modifications some guys did. I would prefer a DIY home method for now as my rigger is extremely backed up. I seem to remember reading somebody doing something with gaffer tape that would fix the issue but don't remember what it was exactly that he did. If anyone has any ideas let me know!

fold the top part of the dive loop up and put a bartack in, that will hold it up and open... basically what the previous guy said... have a rigger do it if you dont have a bartacker at home... most people dont... a regular zig zag will work, but it needs to be done really well to avoid problems with it pulling out as you pull on it repeatedly...
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Start folding them upwards when you place the risers in the container after packing it. After a few jumps they'll almost start to fold themselves. No modifications are needed and it's 100% free. ;)

It's basically the same way I pack toggles (usually on reserves) so that when they come out, you don't have to fiddle with getting your hands in there.

If I remember to, I'll take pictures of what I'm talking about tonight.

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Chuting Star has a pretty sweet set of risers with nice dive loops available. They aren't too expensive and work well I use them on both my rigs. When you sell your rig just put your original risers back on and move your nice ones over to your new rig.
Door! Green! Enjoy

Here's what I mean, with the dive loop:
[inline dive.jpg]

With the toggle:
[inline toggle.jpg]

When the canopy deploys, the toggle and dive loop do this:
[inline open.jpg]

Make sense?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I have the same problem, and I've got swoop risers with Louie loop style dive loops.

At the bottom of the dive loop where I wanted it to stick out rather than lay flat, I wrapped about 1" wide in cling film (saran wrap?) to protect the material of the loop, then covered this cling film in a layer or two of gaffa/duct tape.

Can still pull my slider over it, but it is more inclined to leave the loop open. The cling film/gaffa tape stiffener is generally able to slide on the dive loop, so you can move it in storage/when packing so that it is on a different part of the loop if you want. Then just slide it to the bottom once canopy is open. Or something like that.

Has worked for me anyway. Will definitely start packing it with the loops opened/pressed the other way though.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

At the bottom of the dive loop where I wanted it to stick out rather than lay flat, I wrapped about 1" wide in cling film (saran wrap?) to protect the material of the loop, then covered this cling film in a layer or two of gaffa/duct tape.

I'd be very careful about doing things like this. Something seemingly unable to damage the equipment can have adverse impact. A case of this would be the rubber band on the hip rings that were impacting the integrity of the MLW.

degeneration

Will definitely start packing it with the loops opened/pressed the other way though.

Good luck, post back with your results or questions. :)

ronny2

Yes be carefull with tape !
A colleague rigger found this on dive loops !

That's there is specifically why I was putting cling film around the loops first, then the tape around the cling film.

If what I'm doing really is a rigging no no, I'll take it off before next jump. Not being a rigger, it just seemed like a simple solution to my problem, and I couldn't think of any way in which it would have an adverse impact.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Best course of action is rather than home made fixes - take it to a rigger and have them make a more permanent fix.

There are numerous ways to resolve this - you are not the first so don't try re-inventing the wheel. A couple of dollars to you rigger should provide you with a more permanent fix.

Blocks, Stiffeners, extra channel with cable or tubing inside are 3 that spring to mind.

Kristian_AUS

***A case of this would be the rubber band on the hip rings that were impacting the integrity of the MLW.

Not sure if I follow, would you care to elaborate?

http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/Gear_and_Rigging_F6/SERVICE_BULLETIN_for_folks_with_hip_rings_P735166/

The link in that post is expired, so here's the new one:

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/Support/Rigging/09122RubberBand.pdf

Sorry, I was incorrect on saying it was the MLW, that would depend on the ring type.

Wow that's a new one. Rubber bands on webbing is always a bad idea.

The tape I've seen is called vet wrap. It sticks to itself and is a type of spandex cotton bandage. I'm not a fan of the practice but as long as it isn't damaging the actual risers I don't think it's particularly unsafe. I think I have a pair in the scrap bin I can take photos of.

-Michael