CornishChris

Is the US a safer place?

Built a true international coalition insead of pissing off our allies. It would only have taken a few more weeks. Those weeks could have been well spent in getting good intel to replace the bad.

More crystal ball? The Germans and French had no [financial] interest in joining us. A few weeks wouldn't have mattered.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Germans and French had no [financial] interest in joining us. A few weeks wouldn't have mattered

To whom?
Regarding what?

Could you provide some more details, pls?

Regarding Iraq.

the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

...I would have had bin Laden's family members in America at least questioned, rather than flying them home when the rest of American flights were grounded. (WTF was up with that, anyway??:SI've never heard a good explanation for that.)

I'm pretty sure the idea was to avoid mob violence by Americans against prominent Saudis, which would have made the situation even worse.

Then why not take them to a confined place where they will be safe from the mob and questioned by the FBI or whoever?

The Germans and French had no [financial] interest in joining us. A few weeks wouldn't have mattered.
I don't really agree with that statement. Financially, France and Germany had more to lose by NOT going along.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Not start a bloody war in Iraq when almost the entire rest of the world and many Americans were against it.

So I presume that you approve of the war in Afghanistan.

I think that America attacking Iraq perpetuates the stereotype of Americans being the self-appointed world police.

So you would oppose any U.S. involvement in stopping the genocide in Sudan?

You would have opposed the U.S. involvement in Europe in WWII?

I don't think Iraq changed anything. The Muslims hated America before Iraq, as evidenced by Sept. 11, 2001, before we had invaded either Afghanistan or Iraq. Since then, they already hate us for invading Afghanistan. If we had stayed out of Iraq, that would have changed nothing - they already hated us plenty. The idea that the terrorists would have thrown down their explosives and left us alone if we had just stayed out of Iraq, is bogus.

I'm happy to let the U.N. handle the Sudan. I think they've already threatened the leaders with a Resolution. And by gosh, if they don't stop slaughtering those poor Africans, then they'll... well... they'll pass another darned Resolution! Yeah, that'll really show the Muslim leaders that the U.N. means business!

Given that Germany declared war on the USA in 1941, that would have been impossible.

I guess you wish to revise history.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Not start a bloody war in Iraq when almost the entire rest of the world and many Americans were against it.

The poll asks if America's actions have "incited further animosity". I am claiming that Iraq created much more animosity than Afghanistan and thus reduced America's safety more. I want America to be safe place for free thought, speech, religion, etc. It is certainly possible that disrupting the terrorist training grounds in Afghanistan caused a net increase in safety in America.

I think that America attacking Iraq perpetuates the stereotype of Americans being the self-appointed world police.

So you would oppose any U.S. involvement in stopping the genocide in Sudan?

Interesting that you bring up Sudan. My impression is that there is much more popular support for military help to prevent attacks against civilians in the Darfur. Unlike the WMD in Iraq, few people question if the atrocities are happening in Sudan. I don't think the U.S. should try to overthrow the government, but I think the military could use its resources to get aid to these people and give them some protection. Searching for Sudan at whitehouse.gov doesn't find much. Is the government doing anything there?

I don't think American actions in WW2 created much animosity anywhere. With the threat to France et al I think going into Germany was justified. Germany had clearer reconstruction path: essentially restore the government to its pre-Nazi state. America went in to stop the nasty Nazis, who were trying to take over the world by force.

I don't think Iraq changed anything. The Muslims hated America before Iraq, as evidenced by Sept. 11, 2001, before we had invaded either Afghanistan or Iraq. Since then, they already hate us for invading Afghanistan. If we had stayed out of Iraq, that would have changed nothing - they already hated us plenty. The idea that the terrorists would have thrown down their explosives and left us alone if we had just stayed out of Iraq, is bogus.

Sure, there are plenty of conservative Muslims who thought America is the devil long before 9/11. But even supporters of the American way of life, Muslim and Christian, did not want all the destruction and pain caused by the war in Iraq. I'm claiming that losing this support among more moderate people world wide shows the war in Iraq has "incited further animosity".

Well how do you describe occupying a country? Frankly it really doesn't matter how we describe it if the people living in the country feel they are occupied then they are. But in this case that doesn't even matter. What matters is do the extremists think that the US is occupying Iraq? If they do they then use it as a recruitment tool. They use it to direct hatred towards the US which makes the US and Americans overseas less safe than they were in the past because it is more likely that additional attacks will be pulled off.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I oppose our actions in Iraq but not what we tried to do in Afghanistan. I think we are botching it there but I understand and agree with why we did it. Had we concentrated on stopping AQ and not gotten distracted by Iraq our message would be clear. "Don't f*ck with us and we won't f*ck with you. F*ck with us and you are toast." By going in to Iraq we look like we are making a power grab and using AQ as an excuse.

For cryin' out loud they are now talking about free elections but not everywhere. Any hotbeds of insurgent activity won't get to vote. Damn that is democratic.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

42 is the meaning of life as proven by the greatest computer ever created!

Did any of you try Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?

To those that think we have only increased the threat from terorists, would that not also apply to Afghanistan? Should we apologize to the Taliban and ask them how we can make it better?

Did we finally realize the 'gathering storm' or should we use diplomacy to achieve 'peace in our time'? Which leader of Britain do you think is a better example?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Did any of you try Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?

Yes. This past summer I think a rain god moved in around here too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Did any of you try Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

No, but I wasted a whole damned quarter on that useless geek Encyclopedia Brown! :D

I'm gonna spend my next 25 cents paying Bugs Meany to kick his scrawny little ass! >:(

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

And only a guy that writes a 3 part trilogy would write The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

To those that think we have only increased the threat from terorists, would that not also apply to Afghanistan? Should we apologize to the Taliban and ask them how we can make it better?

once again, the same old line: Afghanistan=Iraq, Al Quaeda = Saddam Hussein.[:/]

I think I heard Ann Coulter say she still thinks Saddam was involved in the 9/11 attacks. ( even the Bush administration isn't saying this anymore). But if you just repeat something loudliy enough, maybe people will believe it.

It's been pretty well established that Saddam did not trust jihadists, and that Al Quaeda leaders & Saddam didn't like each other. But to the Bushies, these are annoying, piddly little "facts" that only confuse people.

After all, Saddam and Osama are both Arab Muslims, and are both evil. Why muddy things up with a bunch of annoying little "facts"?

:S
Speed Racer

I didn't realize there was a fifth?

Mostly Harmless

No wonder you're a professor! :P

http://www.douglasadams.com/

And to put the thread back on topic, the US is safer now. The world would be much safer if more cultures would waste time reading such books instead of chanting koranic verses from early childhood as a substitute for schooling.