EricTheRed

DO you believe in UFO's

This was on /. and Fark last week, the scientists have since stated that it was not a real transmission, basically this isn't someone trying to say hi back.

I'm too lazy to go look up the links for the rebuttle, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

SETI has already said that they don't know what the signal is, but it almost certainly isn't aliens.

As far as UFOs, sure I believe that there are occasionaly sightings of flying objects which cannot be explained. But I don't believe that aliens have ever visited Earth.

The universe is far too big for us to be the only living creatures.

Besides I had a good friend when I was younger who was from a planet outside of our solar system. He had to return home a few years ago because his work here was done.
This ad space for sale.

Not anything to do with the article, but yes, I do.

Ok, now I'm curious...
I think almost all of us believe in the literal meaning of "unidentified flying object"
...as in that some people have seen some objects in the sky that they cannot identify and which are then, relatively speaking, unidentified flying objects.

So, just so that I understand properly;
Do you believe that some sightings are in some way related to the activities of an extraterrestrial intelligence ?

I've seen objects that glowed red-orange and were roughly saucer-shaped and that moved in way that balloons, airplanes, parachutes, helicopters, missles, etcetera, cannot possibly move -- the moved in one direction then abruptly went off at another angle, at a much higher speed than they were going while moving along the first vector. They also moved together with each other. They also seemed tp sense it when I was paying attention to them, and backed away at that time. When I wasn't paying attention, they slowly crept up upon me -- like a human might do to get close to an animal, attempting not to spook it. This was the eeriest part -- that they seemed to sense my thoughts and respond to them. It is conceivable they saw my head movements and eyes and respondd to those.

I did not sense anything that suggested they were from "outer space." Perhaps they are from right here, but are entirely different beings than the mammals we are? Maybe a silicon-based life form? Or intelligent beings made of light rather than matter -- and from "here." ??

After I saw them i decided I wanted to go somewhere else. I parked my car not too far away. Later police officers approached me and asked me if I saw anything unusual.

I would not want to jump to the conlcusion that they were crafts operated by intelligent beings. They might have been an aerial non-living or non-intelligent phenomenum that responds to thought sort of the way multiple needles on multiple electro-encephalographs might respond to thoughts.

I saw them around 1969, in a swampy area while driving thru the state of Georgia, US, near high-voltage power lines. I don't remember exactly where. I never saw any such peculiar phenomenum again.

I think almost all of us believe in the literal meaning of "unidentified flying object"
...as in that some people have seen some objects in the sky that they cannot identify and which are then, relatively speaking, unidentified flying objects.

I don't agree. For years the B2 was a UFO, and trailer park trash screamed aliens.

The reasons it was a UFO were pretty simple. First, it was a black project at the time (unacknowledged.) Second, it flew only at night. Third, the cross section of this thing looks pretty wild, even at dusk when you know what it is. I understand why people years ago thought their were flying saucers.

No matter how good she looks, someone, somewhere is
sick of her shit!

Unless one can really travel faster than light, the universe is too wildly spread out for other world creatures to visit us.

Why? I mean, what if they live for billions of years? Slower than light travel wouldn't be a real big impediment to someone with a lifespan like that.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Unless one can really travel faster than light, the universe is too wildly spread out for other world creatures to visit us.

Why? I mean, what if they live for billions of years? Slower than light travel wouldn't be a real big impediment to someone with a lifespan like that.

Given the age of the universe, I have a hard time imagining the evolution of a creature with such a lifespan. You would need to have a God brought into the discussion for it to be possible.

To me, any creature smart enough to pull it off would be bored to suicide for the timeframes of the travel. Yes, this is a close minded viewpoint. I'm probably also a bit cynical to note that most citings are in the stix near gassy swamps and seen by drunks. An alien would have to have a lifespan in the billions to consider traveling for a million just to toy with our fringe as a fun endeavor.

But they would have needed to know billions of years ago when they set out that this neck of the universe would be worth visiting in a few billion years time. Highly unlikely that they'd just be passing by at the right time.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Highly unlikely that they'd just be passing by at the right time.

Why? Perhaps their values would be different than ours. Maybe they are just naturally wanderers who are forever "passing by". Heck, maybe they look like astronomical phenomenon, from our point of view.

I'm not advancing any particular theory here, just trying to point out that aliens would be, well, _alien_.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

But they would have needed to know billions of years ago when they set out that this neck of the universe would be worth visiting in a few billion years time. Highly unlikely that they'd just be passing by at the right time.

It's worse than that - even 5000 years ago there wasn't much to see here on Earth.

Highly unlikely that they'd just be passing by at the right time.

Why? Perhaps their values would be different than ours. Maybe they are just naturally wanderers who are forever "passing by". Heck, maybe they look like astronomical phenomenon, from our point of view.

I'm not advancing any particular theory here, just trying to point out that aliens would be, well, _alien_.

In that case I see no need for them to have extraordinarily long (by our standards) lifespans, all they need to do is be wandering around in sufficient numbers.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

His name is Robert Paulson...
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I do think they'd have better things to do than hook the earths atmosphere, drop down over small towns, only to be seen by isolated people.

Unless they're pranksters. I like Douglas Adams' explanation of UFO's :)

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

No, but maintaining a craft that could do it, while successfully navigating around all the myriad lethal threats that must surely exist throughout space, all the way specifically to come to our tiny little sun and our tiny little planet... that's too hard for me to believe is likely. Do you mean they picked us specifically, all the way from a star that has to be at least millions of years distant at sub-light speeds?

And why do you seem to find it not unlikely for creatures to be able to live for billions of years? Do you frequently play the apologist for wildly unlikely premises? This sure sounds like it.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

>Slower than light travel wouldn't be a real big impediment to
>someone with a lifespan like that.

Stars burn out if it takes you that long to get between them. That would be a bit of an impediment.

Our EARTH is more than billions of years old, bill. I think stars last a bit longer than planets like earth do.

My big reason for discounting Tom's hypothesis is that at a time when this race would have detected earth and set out to reach it, mankind would not have been anything near existing yet. Would these creatures have been summoned by dinosaurs? Or by one-celled protozoa? What would have been the draw for creatures that live for billions of years to come here across millions of miles at sub-light speeds, if intelligent civilization was not even around on earth yet?

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

What would have been the draw for creatures that live for billions of years to come here across millions of miles at sub-light speeds, if intelligent civilization was not even around on earth yet?

You're thinking like a human, and ascribing human interests and thought processes to potential alien sentient beings.

Maybe what they're interested in is NOT "intelligent" life forms, but, oh, hydrogen, or crystal, or iron ore...now, why they'd be interested in that I dunno, but it's possible they're not looking for someone to communicate with...just explore, just see, just find out what's out there.

I think that's Tom's point, as well as we have NO real idea what something like that would really be like, let alone life span, ability to handle mechanical items, and so forth. That's human judgment about humans, not about aliens.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~