highspeeddirt

pull out pilotchute question

Has depended on the rig over the years. If your looking for a particular rig call manufacturer. Don't have one in front of me to measure. Thirty years ago one rig had one about eighteen inches long and caused a knotted PC for one friend twice in two weeks.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Only as long as it needs to be. The geometry of the flaps and the location of the handle pretty much determine the length. That plus enough slack so that it can tuck away. You try to keep it as short as possible so you can pull the PC out of your burble and into the wind. At the same time you need enough slack to insure that you can pull the pin. It usually involves some kind of floating lanyard running through a grommet. What's important is that between the lanyard and your packing that you have enough travel to insure that you will be able to pull the pin every time. You can sew a little fold or stopper in the lanyard beyond that to limit the travel if you have a really long handle, but you must be able to pull it. Struggle, struggle, thump.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com