kgusack

Downsizing Canopy Advice

Looking to downsize in a few months and want to hear opinions on what canopies may be suitable for me.

Currently flying a 168 pilot which I've put approximately 75 jumps on (I have a total of 99 jumps). My current wing loading is .89 My landings are not consistent hence the downsizing in a few months part. I have taken the standard canopy course and plan to take Flight 101 this summer before downsizing.

Looking to downsize to a 150 which would put me right around 1:1 My main reason for wanting to downsize is to get better wind penetration in higher winds.

I want a canopy that is still fairly docile and newbie friendly. Considering sticking with a Pilot, but want to see what else is out there for someone in my skill/experience level.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
I was put on this earth to do one thing. Luckily I forgot what it was so I do whatever I want.

You're saying contradictory things here. If your landings are inconsistent, going faster across the ground (via downsize) won't help.

Penetration into the wind will change some with a smaller canopy, but that problem is better addressed with spotting skills, wind awareness, and knowing how to get back from long spots (basic canopy skills).

Talk to some instructors about improving your landings before you increase speed with a downsize. What's the problem you experience: Accuracy? Standing up or not? Downsizing doesent address either of those.

you could ask the flight 1 instructors, if you took the course recently. These kind of conversations are perfect to have with canopy instructors that just saw you deal with stuff!
You can say you're thinking about downsizing and you want their input, before you commit your mind.

Generally speaking, downsizing to fix a problem is not the best approach. It might work or it might not and if it doesn't, because the problem is your technique and not the canopy, it will amplify the problem. Then again, 1:1 is not an unreasonable WL to fly at 100 jumps so you might get away with most mistakes, although keep also in mind that canopy at the 150 range all start to have noticeably shorter lines. That does play a role.
It's impossible to say without looking at landings. Hence, if you're already planning on a flight 101 class, you should really defer the decision until you talk with your canopy instructor.

I would say: if you really want to try how 1:1 feels, maybe consider a weight belt before you downsize. It's not exactly the same but It's a safer step in dealing with winds, than straight up downsizing, you will come down a bit faster which will give you the illusion to have better penetration. LoL.
You might find that if you fail to fly your pattern, it really won't be much help at all.

As for canopy in that class, the usual three options: pilot, Safire2, sabre2. In my opinion, this list goes from least aggressive to most aggressive, so I wouldn't recommend downsizing AND going to a sabre2, for example.
Again mainly because you're not looking for more speed etc but you're trying to fix what is probably just poor pattern planning, which is probably not the right response to start with.
They all have pros and cons.
Discuss your choices with a canopy person that has seen your landings, again maybe during flight 1 tell them, and ask for opinions.

Work out on fixing your technique on your current canopy, the one you know and you're safer with, and then think about downsizing, if it so pleases you. It might seem a slower progression but it's safer on the long run. Every time I downsize, i see that my technique "goes backwards" and it takes a couple of months, and canopy classes, only to get back where I was on my previous canopy. If that "going backward" would put me back in a place where I can't land safely, then I'm putting myself in potential troubles.

But that's just my 2 cents.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Hi, maybe I didn't state this very clearly. I am not downsizing until I am more consistent in landing. Possibly at the end of this summer. I would like get a head start researching canopies and hearing what canopies people have had experience with and would recommend.

my landing problem is that I'm not landing on my feet most of my jumps especially in no wind conditions

thanks for your input
I was put on this earth to do one thing. Luckily I forgot what it was so I do whatever I want.

Thanks for your response.

I understand I need to work on my landings before downsizing. Downsizing isn't a fix to my landings but something I'd like to do in the future after my landings improve.

That is a good idea, when I take the flight 101 course I'll talk to the instructor about potential canopies including the safire2

Di0

As for canopy in that class, the usual three options: pilot, Safire2, sabre2. In my opinion, this list goes from least aggressive to most aggressive, so I wouldn't recommend downsizing AND going to a sabre2, for example.

Last year I flew Pilot's (170 & 150), Safire 2 (139 & 129), Sabre 2's (150 & 135) and I would agree that aggressiveness increases Pilot=>Safire2=>Sabre2. I was fortunate to get to test quite a few canopies, if you can get some advice and then get some demos!

Short landing advice:
Once you turn on final, minor heading corrections only, using toggles at this point takes away from your flare.

How does it feel to flare too high? You finish the flare with your feet off the ground, then come down with some force

How does it feel to flare too low? By the time your flare is finished, you're already running to keep up or the momentum is too much to run out and you're on the ground. Same applies if you start the flare late and dont have time to finish it because you're sliding on the ground with your face.

Watch people land. You'll see a lot of toggle B.S. on final (bad habit, doesent help anything), and a lot of people stopping flying the parachute as soon as their feet are on the ground (pinwheel crazy arms while trying to run out all the momentum). 'Finish your flare' means finish it even when you are on the ground, fly the parachute until it's on the ground. It's hard to explain but you'll see this hilarious terrible landing habit everywhere.

Evaluate what you are doing with your flares after you land, only listen to instructors, tune out all the loudmouths with big opinions. Get a buddy to video some landings, then arrange to debrief them with an instructor (at the end of the day, if you bring beer or pizza or any kind of food - any good instructor will give you the 10-30 min debrief you need). Then you'll be in better shape when Flight-1 comes around!

Canopies: Any 9-cell is fine for you. I went Safire (original, not Safire 2) because it was available used at the time. Sabre 2 is a good choice too. I've never flown a Pilot, but you have, so that should be in the running. Ask around and see what people might trade you for a jump or two, maybe there are some of those canopies in a 170 or 169 that you could try out before you downsize.

sammielu

How does it feel to flare too high? You finish the flare with your feet off the ground, then come down with some force

How does it feel to flare too low? By the time your flare is finished, you're already running to keep up or the momentum is too much to run out and you're on the ground. Same applies if you start the flare late and dont have time to finish it because you're sliding on the ground with your face.

Watch people land. You'll see a lot of toggle B.S. on final (bad habit, doesent help anything), and a lot of people stopping flying the parachute as soon as their feet are on the ground (pinwheel crazy arms while trying to run out all the momentum). 'Finish your flare' means finish it even when you are on the ground, fly the parachute until it's on the ground. It's hard to explain but you'll see this hilarious terrible landing habit everywhere.

Like this? I think it shows at least some of what you're talking about. Sorry about the video length. The music also, if it's not your thing - not mine either. I have some experience of bad landings - high flares, late flares, and a particularly unpleasant and scary downwind in which I fell on my face (not literally, possibly could have been worse - wasn't hurt at all) - apparently you can't change your pattern if the wind changes.