windcatcher

Ever Kill An Animal?

Killing something with a gun gives you "emotional distance" (for lack of a better phrase). Killing it with a knife is a different experience, isn't it?

People that buy a steak are just buying something. People that shoot an animal and see it die, think about it. Using a knife, you feel it.

Bwahahahaha...

Ever kill an animal?

What do you think?

Are you limiting the poll to just hunting or can I include vehicle kills too?

hahahaha

Now vehicle kills... I have quite a resume, however unintended it may be...

deer: 1 (dented my front quarter panel and door)
birds:
seagull - 1 (cracked my windshield)
pigeons - 6 (4 in one hit, stupid idiots were all sitting in the road together at 4 AM, before sunrise)
tufted titmouse - 1
cardinal - 2 (they like swooping in front of cars, and sometimes don't quite make it)
unknown - 1 (it walked, not hopped)
dogs: (all of them strays, as near I can tell, and they always walk in front at the last second):
chow - 1
mutts - 4
squirrels: 3 or 4 (never can make up their minds which way to go!!)
chipmunks: 1 (ditto!)

There's probably a few others that I can't remember. I try my best to avoid a strike, but without putting myself, my car or other cars and drivers at risk.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Bwahahahaha...

Ever kill an animal?

What do you think?

Are you limiting the poll to just hunting or can I include vehicle kills too?

hahahaha

Br rdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrd BANG!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Killing something with a gun gives you "emotional distance" (for lack of a better phrase). Killing it with a knife is a different experience, isn't it?

No.

People that buy a steak are just buying something. People that shoot an animal and see it die, think about it. Using a knife, you feel it.

No.

I never killed a steak, I am vegetarian.

:P

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I never killed a steak, I am vegetarian.

Pardon me. In message #19 you say that you are a hunter and kill lots of animals.

Now you say you are a vegetarian.

So what happens to all the meat from the animals you kill?

Do you just like killing for the sake of killing?

Anyone who eats meat or wears leather, has intentionally killed animals.

To me this is an important distinction. I have empathy for most animals but actualy get some consolation from eating the meat and wearing the leather, knowing the animal has been efficiently processed and utilised to its maximum.
It doesn't matter to me whether the animal was commercialy slaughtered and processed or whether the job was done by a hunter in the field.

However....
I do have a problem with most big game trophy hunting. I'm especialy alarmed by "canned" hunting.
Some American hunters travel to South Africa and pay thousands of dollars to shoot a lion in a restricted space. Can this be described as anything other than bloodsport ?
[:/]

Some American hunters travel to South Africa and pay thousands of dollars to shoot a lion in a restricted space. Can this be described as anything other than bloodsport ?

I'm sure it's more than JUST Americans. ;) However, I guess that depends on the animal. Boone and Crockett doesn't recognize any trophy taken in an "enclosure." Even if that "enclosure" is a 35,000 acre Texas ranch. Lets take a White Tail deer. During most of the year (Except the rut) a white tail buck lives in an approximate 1 square mile area. Now....if there is a fence enclosing 10's of thousands of acres.........does it really matter since it didn't interfere with the animals "normal" movements? In the American West ( I have hunted Elk in Washington, Idaho, and Montana) there are what people call "Local Herds" that frequent the same places over and over again. They use the same trails year after year to visit the same meadows, water holes, and wallows. They are captive by their food and water sources. No fence needed. Not saying I support the "Safari" type........just making a point. Hmmmm........guess this should be in "Speaker's Corner." :D

Wow, a long distance record!

14 posts before John trolled the thread, and 36 before someone really gave him the opportunity to set the hook.

Wow, is this thread heading toward speakers corner the slow way, or what? ;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

14 posts before John trolled the thread, and 36 before someone really gave him the opportunity to set the hook.

Heh, I got the impression so far that John may actualy agree with most of my comments here. I dont see yet how I've baited him. ;)

I'm sure it's more than JUST Americans.;)

Nah, it's certainly not just Americans that arrive for safaris, but they are the most common and thousands of dollars is more than most other people are prepared to pay, both local and foreign.

Now vehicle kills... I have quite a resume, however unintended it may be...

deer: 1 (dented my front quarter panel and door)
birds:
seagull - 1 (cracked my windshield)
pigeons - 6 (4 in one hit, stupid idiots were all sitting in the road together at 4 AM, before sunrise)
tufted titmouse - 1
cardinal - 2 (they like swooping in front of cars, and sometimes don't quite make it)
unknown - 1 (it walked, not hopped)
dogs: (all of them strays, as near I can tell, and they always walk in front at the last second):
chow - 1
mutts - 4
squirrels: 3 or 4 (never can make up their minds which way to go!!)
chipmunks: 1 (ditto!)

There's probably a few others that I can't remember. I try my best to avoid a strike, but without putting myself, my car or other cars and drivers at risk.

OMG!!! That is crazy, you either are very unlucky or need to slow down and pay a little more attention to the road.

I am a vegetarian, don't eat or wear animals, and was very proud to say that I had never been directly responsible for any animals death until a few months ago. I was having a really really bad day, found out a friend of mine died two nights before, hadn't slept much and was driving to work so friggin exhausted. This cat ran right out in front of me and all I saw was white fur fly up in front of my car. I stopped about 50 feet ahead and looked back to see his body pasted to the ground and one paw reaching up. I friggin lost it, started crying and shaking uncontrollably, one of the worst experiences of my life. I took the appropriate actions to have the body picked up by the animal control people, but I had to go to the bathroom and cry many times that day. I kept thinking that I killed some little girl or boy's pet and that made me so sick inside. I still think about it once in a while and hope it never happens again.

I think if I hit as many animals as you, I would probably stop driving [:/]

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

Wow, now there's a whole different thread.....

Yeah, probably a little too much info on that one, sorry. I have issues with that kind of stuff, I am not a tree hugging fanatic, but I love and respect animals and the thought of killing one really bothers me.

Since it most likely was allowed to roam free, was it ever really a 'pet'?

I tried to tell myself that, did not help much. I later called the people who came and got the cat and asked them if they had notified the owners, I think that is the first time they were asked that, cuz they acted like it was a strange question :S

Melissa

Again probably too much info, this feels like a little mini therapy session... LOL!

Well, the way I look at it, the line dividing a family pet and a wild animal isn't even a fine one. It's big, bold, and black.

I am an avid hunter. Not a sport hunter though, a meat hunter. I hunt and fish for food, not trophys.

Back when I was 19 (god, that was like 15 years ago) I was out deer hunting with my trusty 30/06 Remington. I hear brush crashing, and this doe goes flying by my stand at what seemed like mach 2. A second later I hear barking, and out into the field, hot on this deer's trail, is one of the most beautiful German Shepards I have ever seen. It's illegal to hunt deer with dogs here, and at the time there was NO bear season here. I did what any sportsman would have done. I thought it to be a wild dog, and shot it.

(hold the flames)

Upon walking over, I saw the light green collar, rabies tag, AKC tag, and owners information tag. (ouch) On the same loop was the clasp end and about 3 inches of chain.

I called the owner that was on the tag, and informed him that I had just shot his dog.

He was NOT happy, at first. Turns out it was a police dog from a K9 unit in the next county. After explaining what I had seen, and the reasons I had done what I did, I was thanked. Even though this was a well trained dog, instinct took over, and he went from Police to hunt mode. The officer said flatly that had he been in my shoes, he would not have hesitated to do the exact same thing. He thanked me for calling, came out and picked up the dog, and I never saw him again, nor did I ever read anything about it.

In conclusion, that animal was not confined, which in every way, makes it wild, and fair game.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I am an avid hunter. Not a sport hunter though, a meat hunter. I hunt and fish for food, not trophys.

I will say one thing, I myself could never be a hunter, but with that said, I actually have more respect for those who hunt (as long as it is for food and not game) then those who walk into a grocery store and buy a nicely packaged piece of meat with no thought of what kind of suffering that animal went through to make that piece of meat.

I did what any sportsman would have done. I thought it to be a wild dog, and shot it.

:(:(:( Not being a hunter, I am not sure why one would shoot a dog in this situation, could you explain?

(hold the flames)

I called the owner that was on the tag, and informed him that I had just shot his dog.

He was NOT happy, at first. Turns out it was a police dog from a K9 unit in the next county. After explaining what I had seen, and the reasons I had done what I did, I was thanked. Even though this was a well trained dog, instinct took over, and he went from Police to hunt mode. The officer said flatly that had he been in my shoes, he would not have hesitated to do the exact same thing. He thanked me for calling, came out and picked up the dog, and I never saw him again, nor did I ever read anything about it.

At least you did the responsible thing after the fact.

Melissa