Chris-Ottawa

Predictability of 270 degree turns: (Was Fatality - Eloy)

so whats the verdict from everyone...

I like the idea of a high performance landing area separated from the regular landing area...

And that is coming from a swooper...

not all dropzones have that luxery though...

SO secondarily perhaps we could all work on keeping a heads up on ourselves and our compadres

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

A 270 degree hook turn can actually fit into the pattern quite nicely. The pilot flys a downwind leg, a cross wind leg and arrives at his/her setup point. If it is a left hand pattern, a right 270 is performed. Before it is executed, the pilot MUST ensure clear airspace and allow an "OUT" in case he/she observes traffic as they come arround the turn.

The 270 and the 90 IMHO are the most predictable landings other than a straight in approach.

This is almost academic right now, being grounded since June, but the tricky thing to me on the predictability is in knowing which direction that person will ultimately turn. While most others will go into the wind (or on a grass strip like Perris, the closer approximation), the swooper may opt for the downwinder. And the start to the 270 right looks like the 90 left.

If a swooper "opts" for a downwinder, that is another can of worms.

As for a 270 to final looking like a 90, well. If you see a small crossbraced canopy turnig to final at 700 feet, it just might be a 270.

I understand that it takes a bit more practice to recognize and predict that. However, I've sat with Tandems and Students to watch a few loads. After a while they can start to pick up which ones are going to do high performance maneuvers.

It's in our own best interest to be as familiar as possbile with the environment we fly in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Sorry Bonny,

But we will have to disagree on this issue.

It is difficult to predict swoopers' landing patterns, and more difficult for junior jumpers/visiting jumpers/POPS/etc. to get out of their way.
Ergo, swoopers should be assigned a separate landing area and a separate landing pattern well off to the side of the regular landing pattern.

At Pitt Meadows, most sport jumpers, students and tandems aim for the pea gravel bowl - in the middle of the main landing area, while swoopers have a separate "swoop lane" along the south edge of the field. Furthermore, P.M. swoopers fly their landing patterns outside the south edge of the field.

>>

A 270 degree hook turn can actually fit into the pattern quite nicely. The pilot flys a downwind leg, a cross wind leg and arrives at his/her setup point. If it is a left hand pattern, a right 270 is performed. Before it is executed, the pilot MUST ensure clear airspace and allow an "OUT" in case he/she observes traffic as they come arround the turn.

I believe the experience of the last week shows that many of those doing 270s either do not know where to look to "clear the airspace", or they know but don't actually do it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If a swooper "opts" for a downwinder, that is another can of worms.

As for a 270 to final looking like a 90, well. If you see a small crossbraced canopy turnig to final at 700 feet, it just might be a 270.

I understand that it takes a bit more practice to recognize and predict that. However, I've sat with Tandems and Students to watch a few loads. After a while they can start to pick up which ones are going to do high performance maneuvers.

It's in our own best interest to be as familiar as possbile with the environment we fly in.

It's one thing to be on the ground watching a certain person do his entire approach.
It is quite another thing to be flying thru the air, watching several jumpers, merging into the pattern, planning for your landing site and also try and guess if someone will fly right back at you with a 270 or attack from above and behind you.

There is no need for this situation to occur because swoops can be done someplace besides the regular, conventional pattern landing site.
Small DZs (geographic size-wise) can separate swoopers and non-swoopers in time.

People doing s-turns or deep brakes on final are much easier to see and avoid than someone that starts in your blind spot and then approaches at a high rate of speed from behind you.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Rigger Rob:

Which brings me to the original point that I brought up on page one of this discussion.... we need to separate the landing areas. I wouldn't say separate landing areas, but sectioned off with a "do not overfly" zone that extends 1,000 feet up.

Some drop zones have to integrate their pattern with the aircraft. It should be the same thought out process when mixing such varied canopies in one landing area.

Yes. We will have to disagree on this one. I think if a person/skydiver is actually willing to sit out, observe and evaluate the loads landing, it is possible to predict who is going to do high performance maneuvers based on how they set up.

I conclude this from personal experience teaching new jumpers to spend time evaluating the pattern.

If the swoopers are not predictable in the pattern, that's when we as instructors or S&TAs need to march out there and have that discussion with the swooper.

I have the distinct pleasure of always gravitating towards little/big drop zones. Big enough to turn loads, yet intimate enough to be able to have a personal relationship with all of the jumpers and visitors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

>>People doing s-turns or deep brakes on final are much easier to see and avoid than someone that starts in your blind spot and then approaches at a high rate of speed from behind you. <<

Again. That's why a segregated swoop corridor is so important. When I fly straight in, I don't want to be mixed up in that shit either. ;)

When the landing area is layed out well to accomodate that corridor, then it certainly makes all canopies easier to predict.

I'm not a big fan of either the Eloy landing area, nor the Perris landing area. It seems all canopies converge on one small bit of grass. But I haven't jumped in either place for over a year, so things may have changed. But when I do jump there, I limit myself to 90s or I land in the dirt at the edge of the pattern.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I'm not a big fan of either the Eloy landing area, nor the Perris landing area. It seems all canopies converge on one small bit of grass. But I haven't jumped in either place for over a year, so things may have changed. But when I do jump there, I limit myself to 90s or I land in the dirt at the edge of the pattern.

I will take the eloy areas over the Perris area any day of the week

the trick with the eloy area is that everyone needs to work on vertical as well as horizontal sepration in the pattern...

if you have people negating that you will have issues

but that is true for any dropzone

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bonny, we agree on this point, but that is because you are brighter than the average bear.

But you will never earn fashion points at either big-name DZ. Haven't you clued in as to how important it is to keep desert dust off all your, expensive, shiny, color-coordinated, top-of-the-line, this-year's fashion, big-name gear?

>But when I do jump there, I limit myself to 90s or I land in the dirt at
>the edge of the pattern.

I generally do both. Most of my patterns involve 90's to land at the edge of the grass, and I generally try for the grass closest to the downwind leg (so I have to cross fewer people on the base leg.) This helps avoid the people who look like they're setting up for a 90 on the far side, but are really setting up for a 270 on the nearer side. On occasion my last turn will become a 180 when the base leg has to be compressed for spacing.

I don't feel confident being able to predict what people are going to do at a boogie, so I try to avoid the issue by avoiding the airspace they are likely to use.

Most of my landings are 90 degree turns to final, also. I jump a conservative canopy at a wing loading appropriate for my experience level, and can land it accurately and safely in all conditions. But that does me no good if some person not looking does a 270 above me and blindsides me at 200 feet above the ground. These days I spend most of my canopy time watching for swoopers setting up above me, and trying to stay away from them. Is that backwards from what it should be? Yes, but I'm trying not to get killed.

I think too much swooping goes on in heavy (or light) traffic by people who don't have the skills to avoid collisions. What used to be one of the most laid back parts of the skydive, the canopy ride, has now become the most dangerous for me. [:/]

>But that does me no good if some person not looking does a 270 above
>me and blindsides me at 200 feet above the ground.

Yep. That's why I try to stick to the sides of the landing area, so I am in the "target" area for a shorter time - and have a bit more visibility out to the side. But that won't prevent such collisions, just reduce their likelihood.

You are the only person getting worked up about this.
You are the only person who doesn't think what I'm saying is logical.

No dude, there are lots of people that are not agreeing with you and not everyone thinks that everything you says is logical.

Lots of people are saying maybe you need to listen more than you speak.

We have 2 different landing patterns at our club and there are pro's and con's on both.
This is not just to seperate Swoopers, but it seperates Pro rated jumpers and non-pro rated jumpers.

It changes depending on the wind direction.

It is quite complex for new jumpers, but a basic explanation while the load is at boarding point helps lots to ensure everyone knows how to approach and land safely.
We normally have people that land in the same strip that swoop and some that just land straight in approach and some older skydivers that toggle spank a 180.

I do lots of jumps with the same people on the load and we get to know eachother quite well.

The best is to know when to go for the bigh turn or when to land in an alternative landing area, which I do often.

We have swoop gates up every weekend we jump and if there is traffic I will still go land in the student area.

Many of the training swoopers are landing at the pond, which is a it away from the main landing area.
But the majority of people are landing together on a piece of lawn.
In fact we have some swoopers that land in the student area as they have not got a pro rating...

The idea is to be aware of the people around you all the time and see where you can fit in.

My next comment is on the boogie issue.
I was on a few big loads over the holidays.
One senior guy slid in on his ass to avoid Dave Morris on landing after doing a 270 turn. My comment was "why are you still doing big turns when there are so many canopies in the sky" He agreed and then started smaller chips in to land.

But on one of the bigger C130 loads, we had a guy spiraling down into the bevy of canopies and taking me out.
He has around 500 jumps and said that he thought I had flown into him.
Unfortunately for him it was all on camera...
Luckily I grabbed brakes and flared whie I was being spat out on a collapsed canopy and it re-inflated.

There is too much emphasis placed on swoopers vs non swoopers, as all canopies can cause accidents.

Even low jump number guys can cause major accidents under canopy.

Keep your eyes open, have a plan B and abort and land elsewhere if need be.
Quite simple really.

Oh, and leave your ego at home!

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

(Replied to Beverly only as that was the last message in line, directed at "you" the general reader/flying in this forum.)

One thing that must also be kept in mind...

You ask me (big canopy, flying a "normal" pattern*) to look out for you swooping from above and behind (my blind spot), while I am also setting up for a landing in the peas and supposed to be focused on the lower canopies that have the right of way... Ok. I will do what I can. I am not comfortable with us mixing patterns* and my ability to assist is hampered by: my slower canopy, my lower altitude, and your approach being from my blind spot. But I will try to split my attention to assist.

What about the other canopy in the air with 40 jumps? How much chance does he have of helping stay out of your way? Funny, since he and I (and 80% of the rest of the fliers have no problem with maintaining separation since we are both (all) flying the standard pattern.*

I would say that either separate by time or by location, but flying a non-standard pattern is your problem and should not be mine or newbie's.

*Pick up any aviation text (powered or not, aircraft or ram-air parachute) and you will see the SAME standard traffic pattern for landing. Only variations are turn points, left vs. right hand, wind direction and in some cases parallel landings. Once in pattern, there are NO turns away from the landing area. In most forms of aviation, this is strongly enforced because it confuses the rest of the pilots in pattern with you. If this is a surprise, please review your own FJC notes.

If you wish to fly a different pattern, fine. We can (and you should) discuss it with ALL those who will be in the air with you. But it is NOT a standard pattern.

If you wish to establish a time or location where non-standard patterns will be flown, GREAT! That will help both the 40 jump novice and me stay out of your way. And I will help you in your efforts to establish this time/place for you to do so. But on a normal load (or worse a boogie) with a mix of experiences, most of whom are flying and expecting others to use a standard pattern, this is not safe for either of us.

To those who have lost friends / family recently, my most sincere condolences. To those who join with me back in the skies this year, please work to keep the landing pattern safe for all... including those for whom a plain and simple landing is itself a relatively new experience.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Funny, since he and I (and 80% of the rest of the fliers have no problem with maintaining separation since we are both (all) flying the standard pattern.*

While I agree with the seperation of landings I just want to point out that the above statement is untrue most of the time in my experience. How many pilots jumping 'regular' canopies do you see on level, landing at the same time on any given weekend.....typically MOST of them. Want to see it get even worse go to a boogie. Want to see it on a bizarre level, go to a big way.

While not always possible to land at different times, it's not uncommon to see landing 'spurts' where there are a bunch of people landing at once followed by 20 seconds of nothing, and then repeated. That 20 seconds of nothing, if used correctly, can really help landing congestion.

Seperation is everyone's issue. It's highlighted by higher closing speeds but to believe that it's only a swooper/non-swooper issue is folly IMO.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

As someone who performs 270 or 360 degree turns to final, I don't believe they really have a place in the 'normal' pattern. I have done it before without any problem, but I really do believe this was a lapse in good-judgement.

The term 'pattern' implies predictability. Some jumpers making 90's and others 270's does NOT make for great predictability. Low rate of turn 270's can take up a lot of airspace. 'Snap' 270's are whipping the pilot into their blind spot. There's just no fool-proof method to do this safely in the pattern environment. If we're then going to entertain the thought of how downwinders will fit into the pattern....forget it!
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Yes. We will have to disagree on this one. I think if a person/skydiver is actually willing to sit out, observe and evaluate the loads landing, it is possible to predict who is going to do high performance maneuvers based on how they set up.

Even if that were true, there is still a question of what you do in that case. Suppose you just turned onto the base leg in your normal straight in approach. You happen to notice someone above and in front of you about to perform a 270 . Maybe sees you maybe not.

What do you do?

Even if that were true, there is still a question of what you do in that case. Suppose you just turned onto the base leg in your normal straight in approach. You happen to notice someone above and in front of you about to perform a 270 . Maybe sees you maybe not.

What do you do?

What do you do if you are standing in the landing area and someone comes swoopoing right at you at a high rate of speed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

>What do you do if you are standing in the landing area and
>someone comes swoopoing right at you at a high rate of speed?

Stand still. If he doesn't correct, wait until the last minute then dodge.

The circumstances are a bit different there, though. If he is facing you, chances are he sees you. If that guy just started his 270, he probably did not. You have to look away from the landing area to do a 270.

What do you do?

What do you do if you are standing in the landing area and someone comes swoopoing right at you at a high rate of speed?

The two situations are not equivalent. When you see someone swooping at you on the landing area, they've already committed to their final trajectory. If you see someone setting up for a 270, it's very difficult to tell whether they'll ultimately be screaming directly at you or 50 feet to your right. If you try an avoidance maneuver, it's pretty much a crap shoot whether you'll be "avoiding" right into their path or not.

On the other hand, if you wait until the 270 fully completes to see what's what, it's very unlikely you'll have time to both evaluate the situation and make the proper response.

What do you do?

I think yes, you can usually pick out those who are setting up for high-speed landings. But what if you're wrong? I've been in groups where a few of us have been setting up at the same time. And though I'm usually right on how people are setting up. Every once in awhile I'm wrong. They may have to change their plane for some reason.

As for being in the landing area. I like people to stay still when their in the landing area. But it begs the question, why are you there? If you're out there shooting video or something, or even walking back from your own landing, that's the risk you run. The skydive isn't over until your packing.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."