MonsterMo

Pilot 150 ZPX in an Infinity I33

Does anyone have real world experience in packing a Pilot 150 ZPX into an Infinity I33?

According to the manufacturer (http://www.velocityrigs.com/media/site/canopy-compatibility-chart.pdf), Pilot 140 and 150 canopies in either ZP or ZPX are acceptable. I find this hard to believe, as Aerodyne quote a 17% reduction in bulk.

A Triathlon 150 (ZP) is also listed as acceptable, but my Triathlon 175 ZPX seems a tiny bit on the loose side. Can't imagine a Pilot 150 ZPX working too well.

Already have the Pilot - was intending to downsize to that in my "old" container. I'm currently borrowing a friend's 2004 I33 whilst waiting for my Vortex to be replaced.

I'm also working on the presumption that the PDF I linked to will also be relevant to 'my' older Infinity, or has the sizing changed?

Ash

An I33 will hold most standard bulk 135-150 canopies. A 150 non-ZPX Pilot would be a little tight since Pilots pack a bit bigger than other manufacturer's canopies of the same square footage. So a ZPX 150 will fit just fine.

A 7 cell canopy will have a smaller pack volume compared to a 9 cell because the 7 cell has less fabric and fewer lines. So I would expect the Tri to pack smaller.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Yes, but the Triathlon 175 ZPX I have in there at the moment is a size up and my rigger seems to think it's a little loose.

According to Aerodyne, the ZP Pilot 150 is 8 cu in smaller than a ZP 175 Tri - I'd expect it to scale similarly lower for ZPX meaning an even looser fit. Doesn't seem dangerously loose though.

Bear in mind, the fact that we're using a Vortex 135 d-bag (because of window, see further...) may have some influence. The Infinity came with a non-standard Rigging Innovations d-bag, without a window in the bridle. I may try the RI d-bag in conjunction with the container to see if it's a better fit.

Mixing and matching components isn't the best idea I suppose...

I've attached a pic. Reserve is a Nano 160.

Ash

Manufacturers just love for putting out misinformation.... In the time taken to put up this email you could have sent an email directly to the manufacturer.

If you seriously doubt the number - why not give them a call or email and discuss it with them. I'm sure they have answered numerous sizing questions and can give you the best advice.

Many factors can effect compatibility. Material, Packing Technique, humidity, closure loop length etc. They may be able to tell you more about why they recommend such sizing that is on there canopy compatibility chart.

I assume you're working on the assumption (hehe) that I haven't got in touch with Velocity. It's the weekend, I'm not expecting a response till Monday at the earliest.

I was bored and I'm not shy, so thought I'd ask here to see if anyone's successfully used that combo.

Ash

I would say that's you best source for an answer. Others can answer the question or maybe if you've got nothing else to do take it to the local rigger and assembly and try packing it. Or just ask a bunch of random total strangers for advice. You have the document with sizing info.

I'm questioning whether you are just hunting for the answer you want to hear or are you asking for the correct answer. What happens if they are different answers - who do you value most ?

That's fair enough - ask the question enough times and you'll get the answer you want :)

This is more me querying the published figures. My rigger and I have both packed it and we both think the Triathlon 175 ZPX is on the looser end. Theoretically, a Pilot 150 ZPX should be looser still.

Ash

Is it dangerously loose ? and have you shortened the closure loop significantly. Your rigger should be good at determining compatibility. Especially BPA riggers ;-).

I've seen people pack things and its really tough to close and others pack the same thing and its loose. Neatness of packing and technique played a big part. Same canopy, same container, same location.

I've had a container (Javelin) I've had everything from a 99 to a 176 in it. On the 99 side we had a foam plilow behind the deployment back in the main tray that helped provide some additional volume in there. On the 176 size - it was an ugly CRW pack job. The closing loop was significantly different between the two.

Is one allowed to disagree with the opinion of the manufacturer :P

I've opened a can of worms.

The response to my email.

"...all of the canopies* you've inquired about will work in SN xxxx except the Triathlon 175- even in ZPX material, the pack volume is too large for the main pack tray and can cause the main closing flaps to warp.

The I-33 is designed to be an optimal fit for both the standard pack and ZPX Pilot 140/150. The ZPX material is smaller than Aerodyne's standard material but even the standard material used packs slightly larger than other canopies of the same type and size..."

*Pilot 150, Pilot 140, Tri 150 ZP, Nano 160.

As mentioned, rigger thinks the Tri 175 ZPX is loose. I agree. Manufacturer agree Triathlon 150 ZP is a good fit, but not a 175 ZPX.

There is the 160 between the 150 and 175 Tri, but let's call that half a size. Isn't the consensus that ZPX packs between one to two (full) sized smaller?

Then again, I'm in rainy England and the canopy was a good fit in my 135 Vortex and I don't consider myself a great packer!

c'est la vie...

Ash

I have an Infinity I-33 (bought new a few years ago) and it was ordered with a Pilot 150 in it (got the OK from Velocity Rigs). It was tight, but it worked. I've been jumping a Zulu 132 in it for awhile and it fits nice. (all standard ZP). I recently started wingsuiting and went back to putting the zp Pilot 150 in it, works just fine. I have also flown a Zulu 120 in the same container and it also fits fine. I was originally told by Velocity that the rig I ordered could fit a 117-150. Hope this helps!