AlMacDonald

Vigil 1 DOM

Look at it's main certificate? Or if it had to go through the type 3 cutter mod, look at the certificate that says it has been done. I've got both of those things for my Vigil 1.

But beyond that, email AAD to ask them. I've found they are pretty quick at replying, as I've emailed them a couple of times about their 10 year battery limit, and got a reply within a day or thereabouts.

Don't know if it'll help much but mine with serial 6479 was Aug 2006.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

read the manual, from memory, after the turning-on sequence, the LED flashes a couple of times, when it says INFO on the screen, keep the button pressed, and it will show things as serial number, jump number, and date of manufacturing (Week & Year something like, for example, W12 Y06). It won't show the month, but the week.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I'm curious, was this about just finding out for the record when the AAD was made, or about figuring out whether to change batteries?

Vigil manuals and Vigil statements online and dealer statements online differ. One of the questions is whether AAD manufacturers' statements are mandatory if not in the manual or a bulletin.

I wrote a long dz.com post about it last year, but the answer tends to be that 10 years sounds like what Vigil really wants as a maximum but you can rules lawyer it to say that it isn't mandatory until the screen shows you need to replace the battery.

likestojump

Vigil 1 didn't display the dom, you have to email them to find it out.

OK thank you. Haven seen one in almost a decade. They are almost inexistant in my part of Europe, since their ban in a couple of countries.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I emailed Vigil about the 10 years battery life, as mine is approaching it, and wanted to know whether it is to the day, or to the end of the month.

My vigil's DoM is 7th Aug 2006.

Their reply stated that as the battery wasn't going to suddenly stop working, I could change the battery in August or September, whenever suits me. So not hard and fast on the 10 year limit!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

FARS say " in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions ...." It does not matter whether those "instructions" are written in a manual, service bulletin, technical bulletin, etc As long as you have a piece of paper from the manufacturer you are "legal."

When in doubt, work to the tightest standard or the most recent document.

In related news, I have a letter from Altico saying that it is okay to pack a Dolphin with 1 flap (ala. Dolphin manual) over the reserve pilot chute or 2 flaps (ala. Javelin manual), so I pack Dolphin reserves with 2 flaps covering the reserve pilot chute. I prefer 2 flaps because it reduces the risk of snagging the pilot chute. .... And I must admit to being too lazy to learn a Dolphin-specific packing method, so I just apply Javelin packing methods to Dolphins.

A couple of more data points for everyone:

SN 4612 Nov 2005
SN 6826 Dec 2006

Since the 30 Jan 2017 Product Advisory was issued I have spoken with Vigil. They indicated that Vigil 1 production ended roughly Oct 2007 so for all practical purposes every Vigil 1 is affected. Some may already have had their batteries changed so they continue to be airworthy (based upon battery date alone) for another 10 years from the date of the change.

I asked for clarification of option 1. What is being offered is a new Vigil2+ for the stated cost plus the return of the affected Vigil 1. Plus shipping etc of course.

Overall an unfortunate situation for Vigil 1 owners but a relatively fair upgrade path.