Skazka

Witty Plus (WP) by Mars (reserve canopy) any feedback?

Hi everybody!

Trying to find any feedback on Reserve Canopy Witty Plus (WP) by Mars. The price is very competitive but there is noooo data in the internet, really!

http://www.marsjev.cz/en/reserve-parachutes

I am from Russia and they just enter our market. Could you please tell some information about the canopy? Thanks and have a good day ;)

Their website says….. ‘all canopies meet requirements in accordance with TSO C 23d Standard’ Has the canopy actually received TSO???

Their products might be competitive pricewise indeed when brand new. But you should think about the resale value of it when the time comes too. Won’t be very competitive then for sure.

On 3/14/2016 at 11:32 PM, mjosparky said:

Mars does hold approval under ETSO-C23d for several canopies. I am not sure if the FAA recognizes it or not. (see attachment)

I don't think that's the case. The EASA doesn't do approvals for sport reserves and containers, only bailout (some might have been considered in the past). I also checked the EASA approval database and it only lists their bailout parachutes from what I can tell: https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/downloads/136636/en

Looking at their manual, it says tested to the standard, but doesn't say anything about approved. 

"Tested to FAA TSO standards" is distinct from "manufactured in accordance with FAA TSO." A production certificate requires annual inspections of the production line, The chances of the American FAA issuing a production certificate to anyone manufacturing outside of the USA are slim ... bordering on impossible ... simply because of the cost of travel for FAA Inspectors.

Mind you, most of this legal debate is irrelevant to the original poster who is Russian. Russia never bought into FAA standards. Instead, Russians rely on a series of old Soviet military specifications.

3 hours ago, riggerrob said:

"Tested to FAA TSO standards" is distinct from "manufactured in accordance with FAA TSO." A production certificate requires annual inspections of the production line, The chances of the American FAA issuing a production certificate to anyone manufacturing outside of the USA are slim ... bordering on impossible ... simply because of the cost of travel for FAA Inspectors.

Mind you, most of this legal debate is irrelevant to the original poster who is Russian. Russia never bought into FAA standards. Instead, Russians rely on a series of old Soviet military specifications.

Hi Rob,

If anyone thinks that these inspections are done on an annual basis, they have their head in the sand.

I got my first TSO's in 1979.  In 1983, this guy from the Seattle MIDO calls me & says it is time for my 'annual inspection.'

My very first thought is that he must be out of his mind.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  The FAA:  Consistently inconsistent.

• Like 1