Duckhawk

Black dial altimeters

Hi, I'm looking around for a new analog altimeter. I noticed some altimeters are available withe a black dial with white digits. They look cool but I'm a little worried about the visibility (reflection of the glass) during bright sunny days. Accoring to the manufacturer the visibilty is good in the sun. Does anybody have experience with black dial altimeters? Thanx!

Looks like a Viplo FT-50, no there aren't any glare issues at all. Next time you get in your car or truck take a look at your speedometer, black background with a red/yellow needle.

The only issue that I really have with this particular alti is that the needle is white/yellow and the area from 4500' to 3500' is yellow which makes it slightly difficult to find the yellow/white needle in a yellow background.

The red, orange and yellow areas on the face lend themselves better to a black needle not a white/yellow one.

Nonetheless its a very durable and dependable alti.

gunsmokex

Looks like a Viplo FT-50, no there aren't any glare issues at all. Next time you get in your car or truck take a look at your speedometer, black background with a red/yellow needle.

The only issue that I really have with this particular alti is that the needle is white/yellow and the area from 4500' to 3500' is yellow which makes it slightly difficult to find the yellow/white needle in a yellow background.

The red, orange and yellow areas on the face lend themselves better to a black needle not a white/yellow one.

The speedometer in a car has backlighting and usually there's no direct sunlight but the white needle on the black face probably won't be a problem. The critical area however, is important. That's the area you want to be able to read in a split second. I'm curious as to how easy it is to read that area with a white needle in direct sunlight.

I used one of those for many jumps and never had any issue with reading it. The visibility was always good and glare was never an issue.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Duckhawk

I think I'm just gonna get one. Thanx guys

I agree, the people that have experience with them all say good things. I'm not sure why anyone would be criticizing your decision. Maybe they are just in a bad mood.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Duckhawk

***Looks like a Viplo FT-50, no there aren't any glare issues at all. Next time you get in your car or truck take a look at your speedometer, black background with a red/yellow needle.

The speedometer in a car has backlighting and usually there's no direct sunlight but the white needle on the black face probably won't be a problem. The critical area however, is important. That's the area you want to be able to read in a split second. I'm curious as to how easy it is to read that area with a white needle in direct sunlight.

Yes exactly the white needle on the black face works great! But yes I do not like the yellow and orange areas wish they would have just left them off because it does take just a split second longer to find the needle once it passes from the black into the yellow and that's the most critical area.

Honestly for simplicity sake I will just say I wish it had a white face, a split second can mean 200' taking a second look can mean 500'. I've gotten used to this alti but it's something that I keep in the back of my mind.

But yes I have never had a problem in direct sunlight but I don't have all that many jumps under my belt. Will test it though and zero it to the less visible areas and see what it looks like.