kilroywashere

Anyone ever powder coat, paint, plasti dip their reserve handle?

I am thinking of powder coating my reserve d handle. It is a slim profile d reserve handle from UPT for my vector.

I feel powder coating would def make it last as well possibly even giving it a little extra grip.

Any thoughts or opinions, especially from those who may have done it.

Cheers!

Ripcord handles do not wear out and do not need powder coating to 'last'. :S

I suggest that if you want a colored handle you buy one of the above and then your TSO'd piece of equipment will not be altered. Ripcords can be substituted at the discretion of a rigger, not the owner.

IF you do something yourself make sure you do not obliterate the stamped makings on your ripcord. They may be required by the TSO and provide information that may be needed for service bulletins.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

First off, why?

To "make it last"? I've never heard of one wearing out.
Better grip? Maybe a bit, but the idea of a "D" handle is that you can hook your thumb in it for a good grip.

Second, what will the powder coat or paint (I include Plasti-Dip in paint, I know what it is) do to the metal handle? Any damage potential? I don't think so, but I don't know so.

How are you planning on doing this without getting some paint or PC on the cable? Having the cable able to move up and down independent of the handle is important.

Last, if someone brought me something like that to repack, I'd refuse. At least until I could check with the manufacturer to see if they approve.

I would consider that an "alteration" of a TSO'd part. Without approval & proper documentation, I wouldn't touch it.

I could certainly be wrong with that interpretation, but I tend to err on the side of caution in matters like this. I welcome any one telling me I'm wrong (as long as they can back it up).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I've been told that coating a handle is a bad idea, because it covers up any defects or cracks that it might contain, rendering it impossible to inspect. A rigger might have a problem repacking a reserve and closing it with such a handle of unknown and indeterminate quality. Especially don't cover the area around where the hole is drilled for the cable to pass thru. That's where cracks are most likely to develop.

Bip

I used to have a D handle as my cutaway handle. I plastidipped it red. it was very tactile to the touch but the plastic started to peel away after time. All in all I liked it and will do it again.

I could never see a reason for a soft handle foe s cutaway. I would change them on all my rigs.

Michael
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Bip

I used to have a D handle as my cutaway handle. I plastidipped it red. it was very tactile to the touch but the plastic started to peel away after time. All in all I liked it and will do it again.

What would happen if that coating peeled off as you were trying to pull that handle for an actual emergency? Might cause a little delay, maybe? Might that be a bad thing?

mjosparky

I could never see a reason for a soft handle foe s cutaway. I would change them on all my rigs.

Michael

I'm right there with you . why fix what isn't broke ?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Reason (as mr. Booth explained somewhere) is cutaway cables are not loaded until main is not opened.
So if cutaway handle gets dislodged it has to be ultralight to stay in place (friction of cable in housing holds it in place).

Reserve handle can be heavier as it stays in its place as reserve packjob is holding reserve pin.

I received a warning from local FSDO yesterday about powder coating wing lift struts. The inspector also warned that powder coating can hide cracks. Powder coat system requires heating to 450deg F, which can change heat treat value. Might be worth checking in to. May not be an issue with a ripcord handle.

You might consider putting some colored electrical or duct tape on it. You can candystripe it if you want! It won't look as clean as a dip or powder coat, but easy and cheap.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I powdercoat all the time, the uncoated steel cable is no big deal.
Just tape it up before coating it, as far as heat is concerned you can get low temperature powder 250° as far as inspection thats all you, Make sure your rigger is ok with it. Most D rings are stainless, so 250° isn't going to damage that in any way, but the inspection part could cause you problems. be aware of the plastic that covers some cables, if your D ring has a plastic covered cable I would avoid any heat at all. You could really cause problems if that plastic gets damaged or delaminated from the cable.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Some types of coatings are hard and when they peel or chip off the flakes have razor sharp edges. Other types of coatings do have chemicals that leech out. I wouldn't be that comfortable with such a unit because you don't know if it's going to weaken or damage your MLW. If someone brought such a rig to me I'd be sending photos to the manufacturer and I think I already know what they would say about it. So why expose yourself to such trouble over just an aesthetic item?

Having said that I once bought a rig with a reserve handle that had been gold plated. I know it was tested after it was re-swaged but I was never clear on how legal it was. Rig got stolen many years ago.

-Michael