RichyR

New canopy - rubbish openings - defect?

I've just got a new rig. A Vector with Pilot 168 ZPX, and every one of the 15 jumps I've made so far have had really off heading openings 180+, and thrown me around a lot - my back's getting sore! It's been packed by two different packers and me all with the same result.

I've been jumping a non ZPX Pilot 168 in a Jav for the last 40 jumps immediately before, and almost all openings were great. The new container d-bags smaller than the old rig, but the ZPX fits fine. The new rig has the UPT semi stow less bag, the Jav had a no-sto bag.

Could it be a canopy defect? It steers and flares fine?

Hmm, my Pilot 168ZPX did that to me as well, with off heading openings when brand new. After about 75 jumps it really started to beat the crap out me. Turned out the line set was way out of spec- some lines were too short, and others too long>:(. Had a new line set installed and problem solved. It'd be interesting to see if mine was a one-off, or if it's happening with other Pilots as well.

Thanks.

I had a rigger check the line trims, and it was spot on. He said one brake was quite twisted - I noticed this before and asked a packer about it, and she said it was fine.

Openings are now much better. A few 90deg off heading, but much much gentler.

If possible, let somebody else (as experienced as somehow possible) jump your rig. Body position is a reason that is given much too often for bad openings, but I still see the possibility. A new rig, with different sizing and a different place to grab your pilot chute can do strange things to your body position while pulling.
Nice words are not always true - and true words are not always nice.