ajr1213

Older rig modifications

I have an older rig that I picked up as a second/turn rig. It fits more snug than my main rig and I would like to know if the harness on a rig can be modified for size. I measured the harness on both rigs and found that the upper main lift webs are approx. 2 1/2" shorter and the horizontal back straps are approx. 2 1/2-3" shorter on the second rig compared to my main rig. Is that something that can be updated or changed by the manufacturer or a rigger?

The harness length can be changed, and the lateral length can be changed. Easy if the harness has chest and hip rings, not quite as easy if just hip rings, and still po$$ible if no rings. Some manufacturers publish prices on their websites; expect other manufacturers and master riggers to charge about the same.

What cannot be changed is the spread of the container yoke from around the back of your neck to the bottom of the pads under the 3-ring base ring, nor the position of the base ring (which is the suspension point under the main canopy = harness position after opening). The size of the harness from about the chest strap to over the shoulders is set by the cut of the container. In other words, your new harness may fit better but not better enough for the money you spend, and may still be uncomfortable.

Call the manufacturer for advice about modifying the harness to fit you.

-Mark

beings I'm using this as a backup rig comfort can be compromised a bit, so if I can at the least get the harness lengthened in the areas mentioned at a reasonable price that would suffice, I think your info answered my questions. Very helpful, ;)Thanks a bunch!

I just had the complete harness on an older Javelin replaced by SunPath. Their pricing is about $450 re-using the hardware from the old rig or about $100 more to replace the hardware.
I actually had the harness updated to 4 rings for about $750.

I've also done the same with an old Vector in the past.