gb1

Strato Star snake skin

I am looking for a snake skin from an old strato star. When the canopy first came out with rings and ropes reefing system, there was a red line that had to be pulled down to retract the pilot chute. The red line ran through a tube of aircraft cotton and to the top of the canopy. It had a grommet in the end. The rings and ropes system was soon removed and replaced with a slider. We are putting together an "original" canopy for the museum. An original snake skin would be wonderful, however getting the measurements would allow building one which would be easy. The rings, ropes, red lines and snake skins ended up in a riggers pile. Even if someone has an original Strato Star in a closet with rings and ropes, I would treasure the measurements of the snake skin. Thank's Jim T D-3411

Doesn't Para Flite have one around? If not check with Sandy Reid.
If I remember right there was a piece of cotton sewn to the top and bottom skins with a #8 grommit. The reefing line passed through them and around the perimeter of the canopy. The red line had a ring on it that the rope went through. It was below to canopy. Pulled on that rope a few times to help opening speed. As time went on people put a number of different devices up near the pilot chute that would keep it seated once the canopy was fully open.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

If not check with Sandy Reid.

I would agree with checking with Sandy. I know Para-Flite doesn't really have any information on the canopies anymore. Sandy is currently restoring two Strato-Stars and should have that information. The progress is slow on the restoration as he is doing it during spare time but progress is being made. Last I talked with him he got the information on the reefing system.

snake skin was approx 36'' long. # 4 grommet in the bottom end, 2 ea #0 grommets in the top. the reason for the snakeskin was that sometimes the bag flew up the reefing line after the canopy came out and covered the pilotchute(something i discovered observing from the ground w/ binoculars during the early development of the Strato Star)

I am helping Sandy put together an original Beechnut Strato Star. It was my understanding that we pulled the red line down to retract the pilot chute because it was pulling on the rings, trying to collapse the canopy! Boy, the junk we tested. Alot of malfunctions till we switched to diaper tails or bags. There was a nylon rod about 3in long that indexed after pulling red line. This was to lock pilot chute down so you could let go of the red line. I found one in my old stuff! Thank's Jim Tafralian Beechnuts

When the strata star first was released, 30 were delivered. 10 were red/white and went to the Beechnuts. 10 went to the Pelican team, don't remember what their colors were. 10 went to Para Flite dealers. The originals had a snakeskin I believe on the bottom of the canopy for the pilot chute retraction feature. They had a malfunction rate similar to the baby plane. The ropes would draw canopy material through the rings creating "astro vents".

Glad to hear there is steady progress on that project. Sandy has my red with black ribs Strato-Star down there that he was using as a reference. It was converted to a slider years ago but he offered to put it back to rings and ropes. I will have to send him an email and see how things are going after all this Strato-Star talk.

gb1

I am helping Sandy put together an original Beechnut Strato Star. It was my understanding that we pulled the red line down to retract the pilot chute because it was pulling on the rings, trying to collapse the canopy! Boy, the junk we tested. Alot of malfunctions till we switched to diaper tails or bags. There was a nylon rod about 3in long that indexed after pulling red line. This was to lock pilot chute down so you could let go of the red line. I found one in my old stuff! Thank's Jim Tafralian Beechnuts

Originally we just put a couple knots in the reefing line near the pilot chute, to catch on the canopy, to hold the pilot chute down. Then people went to the plastic thing (usually and old toggle) or a V'd wire. This was to stop your "friends" from reeling in your reefing line and putting you back into opening sequence. We had a weird sense of humor in those days!
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

High speed, It is pretty obvious that you were around then and know your stuff! You are right about the location of the skin and Steinthal. I haven't heard that name since 1974. At first SSE said the turns were because Steinthal did not use walking needle machines. Later it was said there was some secret mistake, making different size cells. I know that there is and old rigger out there that has a skin in his pile. I found the retainer rod in mine, from one of the dozen or so that I converted. We can make a skin from your description. Thank's Old Timer. Jim T

you mite want to hook up with Gene Roether

I believe he is on here as Gene03. He helped me a few years ago when I was restoring a Para-Plane and the deployment bag. He was incredibly useful with some details I couldn't figure out.