girthy

Pilot chute .....looked different Blue Sky's mag

lyosha

It's a collapsed white pilot chute?!? ...

+1

Don't see anything different/weird about it either :S

Maybe the TS is only familiar with non-collapsible PSc like this? (Never mind the canopy itself tho LOL)

[inline 44558_108110709246642_7863987_n.jpg]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

fcajump

So how was that split-tail 5-cell to fly??

I was safely on the ground taking pictures :D
Didn't look too bad from my POV, it was landable. As opposed to some other old stuff being jumped at the time, although I personally wouldn't want to land this one, let alone the positively ancient purple round that people weren't sure wouldn't blow up on opening :SB|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The red parachute is a Jalbert Para-Sled. It was a unique one in which the outlines are longer than the inside lines so it could fly completely flat. It also had that split tail. The one pictured was modified for a slider. The original reefing system was top skin rings and ropes. I wonder if it happens to be the one that I got the line lengths for a few years ago. I currently have two of them in my collection. They were not the greatest of canopies and other early squares of the same era where much better opening, flying and landing than they were.

Beatnik

I wonder if it happens to be the one that I got the line lengths for a few years ago.

Only A+B+C lines and steering lines, right? No Ds?

Anyway it's this canopy: click

edit: I don't have many pics of that weekend anymore, shame. Found this one though:
[inline SAS_9960-hw-600.jpg]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Only A+B+C lines and steering lines, right? No Ds?

That is correct. No D lines and all the lines are non-cascaded. Originally, the lines were made from TYPE IV line.

Anyway it's this canopy: click

Yeah that is the canopy I was supplying info for restoration. I can't remember how many years ago now that was but Henny put me in touch with this rigger restoring a Para-Sled for him. Glad to see that the info helped him get that parachute back in the air.

I recently ripped out all the parachute scenes from the Six Million Dollar man and the very first episode has some great video of a Para-Sled being jumped. Whoever jumped that chute has got a landing that is infinitely better than any landing I have got under one. I am most likely a lot heavier than that jumper but I have a Para-Sled with 9 jumps, so it is pretty much brand new and it is one really rough landing chute.