misskriss

A Future Without Men

I was at Barnes and Noble again tonight and my oldest daughter once again made me venture into the Science section of the store as that is her favorite besides the anime comics she reads. So while I was browsing I came across a book called Adam's Curse: A Future Without Men. I started thumbing through it and had to buy it. Has anyone read it and how do you feel about the possibility of becoming extinct if you are a man..:P

Book Description
The inside story of the Y chromosome's fatal flaw, as told by one of the world's leading geneticists.
Male reproductive fragility has been the subject of much highly publicized recent research. Is it possible, asked the New York Times, that men face extinction? Bryan Sykes examines the validity of these shocking reports, focusing on the defining characteristic of men: the Y chromosome in their DNA. Guiding his readers through chapters like "The Blood of Vikings" and "Ribbons of Life," Sykes masterfully blends natural history with scientific fact, elucidating the biology of sexual reproduction, modern genetics, and evolutionary biology. He reveals that, while the Y chromosome makes man's existence possible, it also carries within it the seeds of his destruction. Timely and fascinating, this major work covers a wealth of controversial topics, including whether there is a genetic cause for male greed, aggression, and promiscuity; the possible existence of a male homosexual gene; and what, if anything, can be done to save men from a slow, but certain, extinction. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1402582196/ref=pd_sl_aw_alx-jeb-9-1_book_5109709_1/104-8343398-1409510

Don't get your hopes up just yet,with advances in genetic engineering I think males will be around for a few more years;)And looking at some of our male primate cousins,they have been around for several million years relatively unchanged.So..... I dont think extinction is a real possibility or threat!
Marc SCR 6046 SCS 3004

whether there is a genetic cause for male greed, aggression, and promiscuity;

In the animal kingdom, female aggression is not rare. Female promiscuity, while in heat, is quite active.

For humans, female aggression has a lot of relation to the society. In American Indian society, captives were often given to the women for torture (probably discussion of nicknacks for the home ;)).

Probably the biggest dangers to the existence of males are (1) Amniocentesis to determine the sex of a child, (2) test tube babies.

yoouuuuuuu wishhhhhh!!! we ain't goin nowhere!

Hey... I love men and I like having you guys around. :P I just bought the book because it was interesting. LOL

and how did I end up in the Speakers Corner...woops. I meant to post in the bonfire. Oh well:D

To be quite pedantic, males, from infancy, have a higher mortality than females. As a population.

There are more genetic/neonatal conditions that affect more males than females (e.g. but not confined to hemophilia and muscular dystrophy).

Male boys and young adults are more likely to suffer fatal accidents as adolescents; this could be a result of risk-taking due to more testosterone, or it could be just attempting to impress young females.

There are, generally, more male babies born than females, but by the age of 5 (I think it was 5) the numbers are closer to even. Of course, in the vast majority of societies, gender choice means a boy.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

There are, generally, more male babies born than females, but by the age of 5 (I think it was 5) the numbers are closer to even.

I have heard that it has to do with respiratory distress in male infants.

Of course, in the vast majority of societies, gender choice means a boy.

An unfortunate paradox confronts a lot of womens rights groups. In many under-industrialized foreign countries, abortion rights, that were championed by womens groups, have been used for sex selection.

In one rare case, a doctor performed 7,000 abortions. Only one was male.

Generally, The ratio of women to men is 97 to 100 because health care (and food even) are given to the men. The ration has dropped to 92 or 93 in the last two decades.

In industrialized societies, the sexes are becoming more polarized. Survivability is not based on gender, the trend could be the reverse. Women could choose to only have daughters.

Even though men were an accident of evolution (wasn't everything), I'm glad we have them despite their flaws and hope they won't be going anywhere soon....:S.

lindsey
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Good Lord...a world of only women??? We'd nuke each other inside 28 days...timeframe pun intended...:P:D;)

Good answer...and I wholeheartedly agreeB|...I work at a zoo where everyone there...directors included, are female:o...well, lemme put it like this...right now...everyone is PMSing...:S[:/]B|

~R+R:)...Not me...of course not me...;)...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Timely and fascinating, this major work covers a wealth of controversial topics, including whether there is a genetic cause for male greed, aggression, and promiscuity; the possible existence of a male homosexual gene; and what, if anything, can be done to save men from a slow, but certain, extinction. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

More like, "This text refers to the SEXIST edition."

Since when are greed, aggression and promiscuity exclusive to men?! They're not even predominantly found in men. Do you have to go far to find women who are catty and vindictive to one another, or even to men? Do you have to go far to find a slut? Do you have to go far to find a woman who would kill for money? In today's paper, there's a woman charged with murdering her brother-in-law by making him a fruit smoothie drink with pineapple and coconut and anti-freeze. Her excuse? She wanted to only sicken him enough that she could take control of his money.

No, it's MEN who are greedy, aggressive, promiscuous sick bastards.

What kind of premise is this for a book?

-

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1402582196/ref=pd_sl_aw_alx-jeb-9-1_book_5109709_1/104-8343398-1409510

-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Is it possible, asked the New York Times, that men face extinction?

This whole premise is flawed. Gender specific extinction is impossible unless we start freezing a whole lot of sperm.

Interesting (old) sci-fi story by John Wyndham on just this topic. The men were killed off by a gender specific virus, and it tells how the women avoided extinction of the species.

books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c1/c6061.htm?authorid=3210

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't know if it's the same story, but I read one about some men who were like space travelers or something, maybe in a time warp, and came upon a world populated by only women, who used some sort of cloning and artificial embryo implantation, and they didn't need men, so I think they killed the men who arrived.

Isn't that just like a woman? :P

-
-Jeffrey

To be quite pedantic, males, from infancy, have a higher mortality than females. As a population.

There are more genetic/neonatal conditions that affect more males than females (e.g. but not confined to hemophilia and muscular dystrophy).

Male boys and young adults are more likely to suffer fatal accidents as adolescents; this could be a result of risk-taking due to more testosterone, or it could be just attempting to impress young females.

There are, generally, more male babies born than females, but by the age of 5 (I think it was 5) the numbers are closer to even. Of course, in the vast majority of societies, gender choice means a boy.

Wendy W.

Well testosterone is a factor, no doubt about it, but who we are is, to an amazing extent, who we were socialized to be.

Michael

I don't know if it's the same story, but I read one about some men who were like space travelers or something, maybe in a time warp, and came upon a world populated by only women, who used some sort of cloning and artificial embryo implantation, and they didn't need men, so I think they killed the men who arrived.

Isn't that just like a woman? :P

That sounds like it. I read it about 30 years ago so I may be hazy on the details. It was a time warp, I remember that much.

-

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

[replyThat sounds like it. I read it about 30 years ago so I may be hazy on the details. It was a time warp, I remember that much.

It's just a jump to the left ...

But it's the pelvic thru-u-u-st
that really drives you insa-a-a-a-ane! :D

-
-Jeffrey