kilroywashere

Will Pilot 168 zpx ZP fit in a v347

I am getting pilot a 168 zpx and looking to either get a v347 or v348. I know zpx traditional packs at least 1 size smaller and vector 347 are made for most 150 mains. I also know that UPT considers most pilots to pack one size bigger compared to canopies of similar size. That being said they suggest pilot 140 as upper limit of that container size. UPT container size chart doesn't mention zpx material.Even UPT has very limited experience to with zpx material and that canopy in particular with that container size when I contacted them. I have had pilot 188 zpx and it def packed down to 170. Anyone have any actual experience fitting pilot 168 zpx or pilot 150 in a V347? If so was it super tight, was it comfortable? Also does anyone have experience packing pilot 150 in v347

To go further reserve that I will be putting in there will either be smart lpv 175 or Nano 176 reserve. Bonus points if have experience with LPV smart reserves.

As an aside...what is the deal with the Nano? The max allowed weight is way lower than most "other" stuff on the market from PD and Aerodyne particularly as sizes get smaller.

What, exactly, does "max allowed" weight mean - in an academic / TSO / fudge factor sense? Is it an individual manufacturers safety recommendation? Is it something tied to a TSO regime? I've never really thought about it as I've always had a PD reserve and never anywhere within a nine iron of the max exit weight. I'm not suggesting that someone pick the smallest and load it up before people start howling...there are plenty of "what size reserve if you're unconscious" threads.

All of the newer LPV stuff say "tested to TSO C23d" with exit weights ranging from 254 (PD) to 167 (Icarus) on the same sized canopy. I'm just curious how the number is arrived at...?

My son has a Pilot 168ZPX.. It fits in his Icon I4. I had a Javelin sized for a 150 main. The 168ZPX fit in the Javelin just like a Sabre2 150..

Interesting Note - I think that new ZPX material may actually be/feel more slippery than new Zero P... My son nick-named his canopy the "Slippery Bastard." as soon as he started packing it...:o

Put about 100 jumps on the stuff and it packs very nice...

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

My V347 currently has a PDR 160 and a SI 190 in it. I have had the rig since 09 and have put the following mains it:
Spectre 170
Jedi 150
Katana 135
Katana 120
Velo 120
Velo 111
Velo 103
Xaos 98
Xaos 88
Velo 96
Pilot 140 (ZPX)
Sabre 2 150
Vk 90

The V347 is an awesome container-great range of mains will fit in it. I use the rig for wingsuiting, test jumps and anything that I don't want to be under a VK for. I also loan it to friends that don't have gear yet. It is a certifiable BRICK. It gets 30-100 jumps/year. It's not comfortable and I would not want to jump it day in and day out in it's current configuration. I also packed the reserve very tight AND have to take care with the main to make it look at all right/safe.

All of that being said-refer to UPT's chart, when you start stuffing canopies in rigs you "may" start ripping grommets out or inducing less than awesome malfunctions that no one has seen before.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

SI 190 is a Silhouette 190. "SI" is part of the serial number for the Silhouette that PD and PD users sometimes use as a nickname for the canopy. Similar to "VK" for Valkyrie or "VC" for Comp Velo, etc. "Silhouette" is also a really challenging word for me to remember how to spell as French is not my native tongue ;)...

In addition to WS'ing I use the SI 190 for things like intentional cutaways or if I'm doing something dumb like jumping in a kayak. It's much more docile and forgiving than the Valkyrie for obvious reasons...

Spectre 170 is tight-ish but works in the V347. The ZPX 140 was pretty mushy. I wouldn't want to freefly with that container and the small Xbrace canopies I put in it.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."