councilman24

UT-15 specs

Was given a UT-15 series 2 canopy this week. Was Americanized with speed links, non Russian sleeve and some interesting line work. See Photo

It looks like someone might have wanted to short line it but not cut off the extra. Hence the multiple knots on each line. Also it looks like an adjustable centerline attachment with the loops of line. I haven't put it on a table yet to measure anything. I have found a U.S. government translation of the Russian UT-15 series 2 manual but it doesn't give much detail and no specs.

So, does anyone have an intact UT-15 that can measure some lines and make some photos of the original line attachments? Or a source for some detailed specs and diagrams for the UT-15 series 2?

Also, interested in rate of descent specs. As best I can figure out the UT-15 is closer to a 27' russian PC than the 23'. Can anybody confirm that?

Thanks for any info.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have a near mint one made in 1991. If you think that will compare to yours and want measurements, just let me know.
Mine is smaller than my 27ft Russian, by a long way, but not much different to a 24ft Mk1. It must be bigger than the 23ft Russian.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vintageparachutegear/sets/72157629907634602

I have a russian made UT-15. As I understand it the Russian PC's by Pioneer were their effort to replicate performance and comp. wins. But Pioneer made 27 and 23'. The question is which Pioneer copy does a UT-15 series 2 compare best to?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Yours is a series 5. Mine is a 1974 series 2, so I don't know how they would compare.

But, I just remembered I had a RW PC on the other side of the room. (My comp. PC is buried about 45 minutes deep in a pile of gear.:S) Laying it next to the UT-15 they're about the same size. So, it's not big enough for my fat ass.:$

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Its very funny to know that someone still interested in old round russian canopies! I've done about 70 jumps with UT-15 during my training,more that 20 years ago. In that time was mandatory to get through UT-training then start jumping with square canopy!!!:S
Basically there is no much difference between second and fifth version! Some minor changes of the harness container, the toggles been moved over from back risers to the front risers !
The canopy is the same! Russians and most Eastern European countries take as a basic technical data the whole area of the round canopies,so UT-15 area is 50 sq.meters Pretty small IMO! The opening shock is tremendous!
I haven't seen UT-15 opened for ages!
Would be interesting if you share some pictures and videos!

I had one for a long time. I loaned it to some one and I don't think they ever sent it back.

Here's what I remember. It's got a lot of venting in the top of the canopy. You can sink it hard. Real hard. Not some think you want to be out of speck. Make sure the control lines are long enough. The weird line that it's made with stretches. They get out of trim. Then it's like they're in partial breaks and it picks up a lot of decent in breaks. I had to let out my control and pulled in my center line a bit.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com